[s3C6410] Questions on Best tools to use.

Search This thread

vmarcano718

Dec 9, 2010
I have a S3c6410 base development board that i want to work on. One of the tools that came with the board is dnw.exe. I was wondering if anyone knew of a better program to use. Either Linux, or Windows- Preferably Linux.

I have had a problem with connecting to the target device. I am using windows 7 and it doesn't seem as recognize the board. My next attempt will be with Windows XP, as that is what the instructions uses.

I have researched a number of other programs to include and xdnw (linux version of dnw). However, there is no user manual that i can find for it.

Arm's DS-5 suit is my next step. While I am working on that any advice would be appreciated.

Any solution which utilizes USB OTG as a connection is preferred.

What i am working with:
OS Dual Boot-
Ubuntu 11.04
Windows 7

Development Board:
Real6410 -
Samsung S3c6410 SOC base board.

vmarcano718

Dec 9, 2010

Thank You for your help. I have ran across the sites on my own search but was unsuccessful with the results.

I still haven't found an answer to my problem but i figured out a temporary answer for now. I will try loading android with a SD card and then use the adb. Hopefully this works.

Any other information is appreciated.

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Thank You for your help. I have ran across the sites on my own search but was unsuccessful with the results.

I still haven't found an answer to my problem but i figured out a temporary answer for now. I will try loading android with a SD card and then use the adb. Hopefully this works.

Any other information is appreciated.

Rebellos and I prefer smdk-tools. We have a repository set up for working with OM5=HIGH at this location. http://code.google.com/p/hummingbird-hibl/

Rebellos worked with dnw and wrote dnw command line. Take a look at that site.

Rebellos

Senior Recognized Developer
May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
Your problem may actually come out of lack of good Windows driver to support this download mode. For this I still recommend using Linux, even in VirtualBox.

//edit:
Attached experimental windows version of dltool

Attachments

• win32-smdk-dltool.zip
    69.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

vmarcano718

Dec 9, 2010
Your problem may actually come out of lack of good Windows driver to support this download mode. For this I still recommend using Linux, even in VirtualBox.

//edit:

Yea, I prefer Linux. Getting the proper tools is a mission.

I have the xdwn for the push/flash. What can i use to get the messages/status form the board. I have read about a program called mimcom? Do you guys think that would be sufficient?

Also, Just to verify, xdnw does support usb otg for flashing? I may need to order another usb cord because it does not connect.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
I'm not familiar with that tool. Do you have a link?

You can use minicomputer for UART. 115200bps 8n1 no flow control. You need some sort of UART device. Do you have the debug board or where are you getting the info?

vmarcano718

Dec 9, 2010
I'm not familiar with that tool. Do you have a link?

You can use minicomputer for UART. 115200bps 8n1 no flow control. You need some sort of UART device. Do you have the debug board or where are you getting the info?

minicom
sudo apt-get minicom

But it utilizes serial, not usb.

I don't have a Debug board. Should i get one?
This is my first dev board. Most of my prior experience has been software only. That's why i am alittle confused with the connection method.

I will just utilize the Serial/UART method for now.

I am going to skimmed through the different links that are on this thread. Feel free to add any additional info that would help me. Thanx

Rebellos

May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
You have to get USB<->UART converter or level converter for RS232<->UART if your PC has got RS232.
All low level messages in debug boards are sent through UART, not USB.
Why? Cuz UART is much more simple hardware than USB, initialization and handling of UART controller is literally few lines of C/ASM code, while proper handling USB connection on Sammy S3C/S5P takes at least 20KB of pure C code.

Then you can connect to board's TX and GND to get debug messages from bootloaders/kernel only. You can also connect to board's RX with PC's TX, and you've got two direction communication - this allows you to upload firmware through UART also (though it's better to do it through USB if you can - much faster)

Reactions: .Nox and bhundven

vmarcano718

Dec 9, 2010
You have to get USB<->UART converter or level converter for RS232<->UART if your PC has got RS232.
Why? Cuz UART is much more simple hardware than USB, initialization and handling of UART controller is literally few lines of C/ASM code, while proper handling USB connection on Sammy S3C/S5P takes at least 20KB of pure C code.

Then you can connect to board's TX and GND to get debug messages from bootloaders/kernel only. You can also connect to board's RX with PC's TX, and you've got two direction communication - this allows you to upload firmware through UART also (though it's better to do it through USB if you can - much faster)

Thanks for the clarification. I thought i was doing something wrong.

I was asking for a link to the tool you are using to upload firmware via USB.. I also want a link to the board you are using.

Sorry, I must've mis-understood you.

I am using xdnw (http://code.google.com/p/xdnw/). It is the Linux version of dnw. I had a hard time compiling it due to the lack od dependencies, but I got it to work in Ubuntu 11.04.

I purchased the following board, from the following site, - http://www.cutedigi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4398.

The documents for the board are at the bottom of the page. I can upload them to the thread if you like. I am not at my home computer but i can do it when ui get home.

I also found another pdf while serach online that i have at home that i can upload.

I appreciate the help and information guys.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
I see what's going on. You won't need a debug board. I was imagining something like the KIT-S5PC110 where a debug board was required.
dcfn9j96_95swhfc7gg_b.jpg

You just need to hook up serial into the UART then use
Code:
minicom -D /dev/ttyS0
Set up the settings by hitting ctrl-a then o, and use the settings above for flow control Everything else should be setup proper.

As soon as you reboot the device, you should start seeing UART. Try both UART0 and UART3. I'm used to seeing UART2 as the main UART, but I'm betting UART0 would work the same as I'm used to.

If you could please, find out the functions of that red bank of switches. We need that information. There should be a table somewhere.

bhundven

Inactive Recognized Developer
You can also use another tool called cu from the taylor-uucp package:

Code:
sudo apt-get install cu
sudo adduser <you> dialout

Logout and back in to get access to the /dev/tty{S,USB,etc}* without having to sudo to run cu.

Code:
cu -lttyS0 -s115200 -E!

I use '!' as the escape sequence, as the default is '~' and that conflicts with ssh.

vmarcano718

Dec 9, 2010
I see what's going on. You won't need a debug board. I was imagining something like the KIT-S5PC110 where a debug board was required.

If you could please, find out the functions of that red bank of switches. We need that information. There should be a table somewhere.

The red switch controls boot. Default is 2 being positive to boot from sd card while using WinCE as the installed OS. Its another configuration when android is installed in NAND.

I tired to upload the document but it was too big. It can be found on the same page as http://www.cutedigi.com/product_info...oducts_id=4398 at the bottom under 'LS6410 S3C6410 ARM11 Development Board Hardware Design Document'

I am using a laptop for this project so i have to purchase a usb to serial. I have read that i need one compatible with my current kernel. So, i guess ill be researching that.

Out of curiosity. If I decide i want to take my project to the next step, go to design services, have them design me a mobile motherboard, and have a company fabricate it will i need them to add a serial connection?

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Can you post a proper link, or upload the manual to Mediafire.com? The link you posted is invalid.

In order to make a completed device:
1. Program your firmware
2. Make a list of which features you are using and which ones are completely unused
3. *optionally* draft out a case and a form-factor for the device. This is optional because I'm sure linksprite.com can handle this.
4. Contact http://www.linksprite.com/ to hash out the details

Development boards are generally sold to promote sales of a product. They make the boards as generic and moldable as possible so that people can experiment, find out what works, then make their own version. The development board manufacturers generally also handle production of completed projects.

If you do not have a serial port, it would probly be better to utilize the on-board UART. Serial and UART use different voltage levels. UART generally is 3-5v max. Serial is 12V. You can burn out both devices by connecting the wrong one. I'd use the UART on the board before the level conversion for the serial port.

See some of my posts on UART on Galaxy S devices for more. You can use a number of devices, however i'd recommend using an Arduino MEGA as they have 4 UART ports.. One is UART to USB and the other 3 can be connected up to 3 uart ports on your device. I've programmed an Arduino MEGA sketch for using the device as a USB>UART with 3 separate UART inputs. Let me know if you need it.

Rebellos

May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
Btw, UART0 and UART3 are RS232 connectors on photo, so it seems these are already level converted into serial port voltage level and can be connected straight to PC's RS232 (and cannot be connected to UART interface, as this probably would burn it) to make sure get multimeter, boot board and check maximum voltage between pins of connector and board's GND. If max would be around 3V, it's TTL (Transistor to Transistor Logic) level and it's pure UART. If max is over 5V - it's RS232 and must not be paired with pure UART devices.

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
you may want to get in touch with tom3q over at samdroid forums. he's the champ of samsung spica i5700 running this CPU.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

//edit:

When Adam posts new UBM supported devices, he usually puts the following links at the bottom:

http://tinyurl.com/dnw-how-to
    http://www.arm9board.net/wiki/index.php?title=Flash_using_OpenOCD_and_DNW
    http://www.boardset.com/products/mv6410.php

I found quite a bit just by searching: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=samsung+dnw