Your experiences with SGS III

Search This thread

wiz4769

Jun 13, 2012
Like most have said, its the best phone you can get right now plain and simple. I would agree to hang tight for a bit to see what and when the new phones actually come out and what the final specs are on them. I would also suggest that you leave your wifes phone stock...unless she is totally capable of rooting and loading her own roms, its a whole lot easier on you and she will be happy with a better phone stock. I would never think about messing with my wifes phone, if one thing went wrong, I would never hear the end of it, not worth the head ache.

Reactions: originalnetadmin

The Internet

Sep 11, 2012
I've had the GS3 since June '12 and it's the one thing I can't leave home without. I also have a jailbroken 4S and wife has jailbroken 5, but the GS3 blows both out of the water. GS3 is my first Android phone so I was worried whether I'd like it or not. I don't like it, I LOVE IT!! Rooted it after owning it for 1 week and have been flashing custom ROMS for about 3 months now. Very fun phone and I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: originalnetadmin
Jul 18, 2012
Appreciate the feedback

Look honestly plain and simple

The GS3 is enjoyable even with TW.. 2Gs of ram makes this butter smooth with TW. And that says alot

(And for those who come and whine and say 'boo it doesn't AOSP rocks' this is just an opinion with MY personal experience)

I have a hard time deciding which ROM to use.. I have a nandroid of TW and AOSP just to switch back and forth...

No dropped calls, excellent signal and good reception.

Battery is amazing even with stock TW
Screen is amazing and I have no trouble seeing it even with brightness turned all the way down.

TW has its benefits over AOSP as does AOSP does over TW.

In over all its a HUGE step up from a Desire and blows the Optimus out the water in my opinion.
Easy to root easy to fix if you're soft bricked and good ROM choices.

I came from a Galaxy Note and this puts it in the DUST... I wouldn't have any other phone :)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that the phone lives up to all the hype. :)

Reactions: jayRokk
Jul 18, 2012
Appreciate the feedback

Like most have said, its the best phone you can get right now plain and simple. I would agree to hang tight for a bit to see what and when the new phones actually come out and what the final specs are on them. I would also suggest that you leave your wifes phone stock...unless she is totally capable of rooting and loading her own roms, its a whole lot easier on you and she will be happy with a better phone stock. I would never think about messing with my wifes phone, if one thing went wrong, I would never hear the end of it, not worth the head ache.

I know exactly what you mean about leaving the wife's phone stock and not rooting/installing custom ROMs.

Also, thanks for the feedback. The more people who provide positive feedback, the better I'll feel about buying the phone.

I'm still holding off on buying one now till the new phones are announced/reviewed. The HTC One sounds promising but I'll probably not buy it because of the fact that it's sealed, which precludes replacement of the battery. SD expansion is not really required if the phone has 32 GB of storage for my wife's use. Also, I'm interested to see what effect the 1080p screen has on battery life. If the phone can't last one day of normal usage, it's a waste IMO.

AnthomX

Sep 17, 2012
I've had the GS3 since June '12 and it's the one thing I can't leave home without. I also have a jailbroken 4S and wife has jailbroken 5, but the GS3 blows both out of the water. GS3 is my first Android phone so I was worried whether I'd like it or not. I don't like it, I LOVE IT!! Rooted it after owning it for 1 week and have been flashing custom ROMS for about 3 months now. Very fun phone and I couldn't be happier.

Same story here. First android phone. I had played with androids before (Gingerbread maybe?) and didn't like them. So I had an iphone for a good 4 years. Finally got sick of apple not boosting the screen size, and IOS was getting very stale to me. So I skipped the 5 and bought my GS3 in Oct. Rooted it the first day, running on Tasks roms for the last 3 months. Love it. I get frustrated with my wife's iPhone now, just because it won't do what I want it too, and my android does it natively. Cannot wait to see whats in store for the S4.

y0yerrj0sh

Dec 7, 2012
My experience with the s3 is amazing considering my last phone was a sharp fx plus and before that an htc aria.

Jul 18, 2012
Appreciate the feedback

I just came over from t-mobile and had an HTC Amaze lovely phone but sense was terrible and it killed the battery almost instantly. I had to purchase additional batteries to pop in whenever I went anywhere.

I have had the SGIII from AT&T for about a month now, and it is still stock, I haven't even rooted it... I probably will one day when I'm bored but for now I'm happy. The battery life is like 100x better than my amaze was stock and the screen is bigger as well. I also get a lot better signal with AT&T than I did with T-Mobile. I can actually use my phone at work now! As for the touchwiz, I already own Apex Pro and SSLauncher so I didn't keep touchwiz as the default for long. I am too "nerdy" when it comes to customizing. The bluetooth works flawlessly in my car for making phone calls and listening to podcasts and music. The camera works great, and I like how it flashes first then flashes again to try to prevent people from blinking. Also the SGIII is one of the few phones that still comes with a wired headset.. it's the small things that count ;)

I recommend you do NOT get the LG. I have the LG Optimus from t-mobile at home and it can't even do app2sd nor can I root it to add apps2sd. I was going to install a bunch of games on it for my 6-year-old to play on, but 3 games in I got the "storage full" message. It's going to ebay and I'm gonna get her a tablet or chromebook instead.

Thank you for your feedback. Most of the feedback for the GS III seems to be positive and I'm glad about that. Also, I'm glad that the stock ROM is stable and works well.

SoundsLegit

Feb 24, 2013
Amazing Device
I have been using the white variant i747m from rogers for four months. It works well, fast, durable battery and has the best screen I have ever seen. I do alot of browsing so it's a great phone for me.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

Jul 18, 2012
How does the battery life compare to the iPhone?

I had a moto atrix, iphone 4, s2, and now s3, nothing compares.

Sent from my brain to yours.

Thanks for the feedback on the GS III. I have an iPhone 4S from work and it has pretty decent battery life. How does the S3 battery life compare to that of your old iPhone 4? I know that LTE sucks down battery so it's not really a direct comparison but I would still like to get an idea about how the two phones compare.

Thanks.

brjig

Nov 28, 2012
Toronto
no issues, i was never a fan of the samsung touchwiz thing, i hate it the most, it just feels so horribly made. UI wise. I do appreciate things like driving mode, but i can live without it. So thats been rooted and custom rom installed

battery doesnt really matter to me, since I can change the battery anytime, unlike most phones nowadays.

signal is great, but LTE is a battery killer. so have to use 4g/h+ which is fine for me, i really dont care for lte speeds anyways.

i was gonna switch to a Nexus 4, but after playing with it for a week i couldnt handle the fact that there are no hardware keys, thats the one thing I hate, you would think google would have done a gesture swipe to hide/unhide the navigation bars till now, its a waste of space, when not needed.

jayRokk

Jan 12, 2012
Rack City
Thanks for the feedback on the GS III. I have an iPhone 4S from work and it has pretty decent battery life. How does the S3 battery life compare to that of your old iPhone 4? I know that LTE sucks down battery so it's not really a direct comparison but I would still like to get an idea about how the two phones compare.

Thanks.

My GF has an iphone 4s.. She carries her charger EVERYWHERE she goes... I don't mind leaving mine at home....

That should sum it up ;)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

knightblaze

Dec 8, 2011
Wayne
I tried various Roms and while they were great in some areas they were also not so great in others.

My other issue was the touch wiz apps which I like and some of the other functionality from their ui. So I'm stock and rooted for the time being.

Phone is pretty good but I'm never impressed by phones as they all have nagging issues for me. It's more about the apps and if they can compliment my workload (make it easier for me to function day to day).

The Galaxy Note would have been sick a device but it was a turd performance wise so I returned it for the sgs3.

Maybe the next note will be the it device until then riding out the contract with little to complain about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

crixley

May 25, 2012
I tried various Roms and while they were great in some areas they were also not so great in others.

My other issue was the touch wiz apps which I like and some of the other functionality from their ui. So I'm stock and rooted for the time being.

Phone is pretty good but I'm never impressed by phones as they all have nagging issues for me. It's more about the apps and if they can compliment my workload (make it easier for me to function day to day).

The Galaxy Note would have been sick a device but it was a turd performance wise so I returned it for the sgs3.

Maybe the next note will be the it device until then riding out the contract with little to complain about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Are you talking the i717 note or the note 2?

The note 2 performance is fantastic..

I own a note i717 and agree that this phone blows it out of the water though

knightblaze

Dec 8, 2011
Wayne
Are you talking the i717 note or the note 2?

The note 2 performance is fantastic..

I own a note i717 and agree that this phone blows it out of the water though

The i717 original note. I agree the Note 2 is fantastic but not going through the trouble of selling my phone and spending more money at this time, riding out my contract

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

crixley

May 25, 2012
The i717 original note. I agree the Note 2 is fantastic but not going through the trouble of selling my phone and spending more money at this time, riding out my contract

yeah the i717 performance is terrible.

it has been sitting in a box while I try to sell it, no takers so far

Focus909

Sep 8, 2012
So I am finally getting the phone customized roms/interface just the way I like right on the heels of the S4 Launch :( Otherwise this has to be the best phone I have ever owned. Only thing is that I am a pig in battery usage and I have to address th eissue becaus I only get around 5 hours from it...

knightblaze

Dec 8, 2011
Wayne
So I am finally getting the phone customized roms/interface just the way I like right on the heels of the S4 Launch :( Otherwise this has to be the best phone I have ever owned. Only thing is that I am a pig in battery usage and I have to address th eissue becaus I only get around 5 hours from it...

Investing in a hyperion battery with seidio cover and case will compensate for it. Adds a bit of heft though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My wife and I both got sg3's together. Mine is now running Task's ROM and my wife's is still stock. She loves it just the way it is, and i am fine with that, now i won't have to be constantly flashing hers or hear her complain about glitches, she uses it for news, Facebook and gossip mags and texting. Stock Is fine for all that. I honestly don't know many people who actually talk much on their phones anymore, and if that is the case, then screen size is important. I don't know how all these girls stare at their tiny iphone screens.
    My 2 cents

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium
    Best phone I've ever used.
    Don't know if the OP is still keeping up with the thread, but I'll chime in.

I made the same move as your wife is looking to make. Had an HTC Inspire that I absolutely loved. That thing took everything I threw at it, and the only problems I ever had were ones I created. Battery life and signal strength were the only real issues, but I had done my research prior and knew about those things before I got it.

Upgrade time came along. It was a choice between the One X+, the Sony TL, and the GS3. I don't like the direction HTC is going re batteries and expandable memory, and I've had some VERY frustrating experiences with a previous Sony product, so the S3 was my main interest. Found it on sale at Radio Shack for 99.99 and walked out of the store with a red one.

This phone is awesome, a HUGE upgrade from the Inspire, and remember that I loved that phone. The screen is gorgeous, easy to see in bright sunlight. Reception is much better; I also live in an area with poor coverage, and used to have to stand out by the highway to get a decent signal on the Inspire. With the S3 I can make a call from my living room. It is faster and smoother in any area you can name, and the battery life is very good. On a day with heavy use I'd have to plug the Inspire in at least 3 times, often 4 or 5. Most days I plug my S3 in at bedtime, fully charge over night, and might have to top it off early evening if I've been using it hard. Otherwise I can get by once a day.

It is thin, light, and fits well in my hand. I have average-sized hands and can do most anything one-handed. I llke the construction (I think the "ew, it's plasticky" complaint is one of the DUMBEST imaginable, esp if you plan on putting a case on it) and personally think it's a beautiful device, though that is enormously subjective.

I rooted it a couple of days after I got it, with no trouble at all. De-bloated, installed Google Wallet also with little or no trouble. TW isn't bad, but I've been using Nova for a while on the Inspire, so went that direction pretty quickly. I'm trying to resist flashing a different ROM, but I suffer badly from ORFD and don't know how much longer I'll be able to fight it.

In short, I am VERY happy with this phone. Awesome device, and with the S4 out, it'll be a lot easier to find good deals on it. Highly recommended.

Dreadful. Rooted two phones including the Sprint variant of the gs3. Never would have thought I could even lose my IMEI. Have you read that. I know there's a fix but:eek:. First off before I got home to download my apps I realize phones WiFi might be messed up for lack of a better term, It started when I tried to connect to AT&T WiFi in Penn station. Got home realized WiFi was shot, called AT&T to no prevail, and was forced to find solution outside of XDA. Now back to the IMEI, before being able to back up my IMEI (I was and am still unsure whether or not to root first) I try to root it. On first attempt at rooting using a XDA STUCK ATTACHED THREAD phone soft bricked. Again I was forced, because this site doesn't have an answer, to find a solution elsewhere. Your probably thinking why even keep this phone...

With all due respect, this is simply incorrect. I used mrRobinson's method in this thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426
    to root, and debloated using the Aroma install-based method at the end of the OP found in that thread. No problems with either.

The answers to just about any issue you might have are here, somewhere. Finding them can sometimes be a pain, as the search function isn't always as helpful as it could be, and there are some folks on here that think it's okay to be an asshole just because a noob asks a faq. But I'd be amazed if you couldn't find the answer at all.

One funny thing I've noticed over the past couple of years of playing with Android phones. Sometimes I'll go off-sight to see what other folks are saying about this issue or that. I'll see something interesting, click on the link....and more often than not will find myself in an xda thread.

Love your sig, btw.
    My s3 was heating a bit after rooting, but undervolting really helped. Now I'm running Task's AOKP and the device is running flawlessly.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Lol heating up due to rooting. Not possible

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app