cifs.ko for N8000 (tested on XXALGA)

Search This thread

supermaz

Sep 24, 2011
Hi,

You asked for sources; I gave them to you. But since then you didn't respond. Aren't they the sources you asked for ?

I haven't that much time at the moment, but I will look at this. The last time I had to patch some parts of the graphics driver out of the kernel as there were some sources missing. That took some time to make it compile.

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
thanks. I've tried them now.
md4.ko and nls_utf8.ko can be loaded with no issues but cifs.ko can't be loaded.
when I check the dmesg output I see :
"cifs: Unknown symbol dns_query (err 0)"

I had this similar error on one of my previous devices, but I don't remember how it was fixed.
do you know the reason ?
thx.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

this is an info from another kernel developer working on another device:

dns_resolver and md4 modules are linked into the kernel, so loading cifs will be enough to use smb shares

I guess we should add another module (dns_resolver)

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Thanks. That made it work.
interesting though. because on other devices I didn't need the dns_resolver.ko for cifs to work.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

btw, the modules get disappearing from /lib/modules when I restart. So I placed them under /system/lib/modules
weird...

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

ooops. after I placed them under /system/lib/modules , I can't insmod cifs.ko
it says "out of memory"
when I remove them from /system, I can use it.

so where should I put them ?

GooG2e

Aug 14, 2010
Strange - I have out of memory error

Sent from my GT-N8000 using XDA Premium HD app

Mar 23, 2006
pune
confirm it works

Mounting cifs share is working but you have to load all the modules in this order
1 dns_resolver.ko 2. nls_utf8.ko 3. cifs.ko and lastly md4.ko
Thanks supermaz for the 4.1.2 cifs modules.

Reactions: JoinMA

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
Hi,

Does anyone have cifs module for new kernel ? XXCMC5 ?

The previous modules (given finally in this thread) are loaded well except cifs.ko
Cifs.ko gives "out of memory" error.

thanks.

pseguru

Oct 4, 2007
is this working on leaked 4.4.2?

No it does not work on the german official stock rom and leaked rom
Probably it will be possible if the source of kikat 4.4.2 is opened
I will expect someone to compile the cifs.ko and etc working on stock kitkat 4.4.2.

나의 SHW-M480W 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

I noticed noone seems to have ever bothered building cifs.ko (the Kernel module necessary to access Windows Shares) for
    the Galaxy Note 10.1

So I build one. Actually it's two modules md4.ko and cifs.ko (md4.ko has to be loaded first).
    I have successfully tested the module on my EU N8000 running XXALGA with CIFSmanager. Streaming a 720p mkv with
    MXPlayer just works really nice.

Here you go:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?5lteys7tj45zuw7

DISCLAIMER: I am providing these kernel modules as-is. Altough they have been tested by me I take no responsibility whatsoever
    if you break or damage your device while installing and/or using the modules. I am also not going to explain the steps necessary to actually
    use the module. You should already know how to do it...or at least be smart enough to find out what to do ;)

Enjoy!

maui
    Hi,

I compiled the cifs modules for the JB-Kernel. I couldn't test them out as I had no time to update, yet. But I need the cifs-modules so I started with them.

So, if anyone wants to try it out, please go ahead.

This is the first time I've build a kernel for android, just that you know :silly:

Greetings,

Maz
    All works) Thanks)
    Can you say how to compile this??

Then hit the Thanks button ;)

To compile you need the android ndk prebuilt environment. I followed the this howto: http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html (from Downloading a prebuilt gcc downwards).

Then you need your kernel sources (look at the android dev section here). In the package is a README_Kernel where you can get the make command to build the default config. From there on you just run make menuconfig and make to compile things.

Best regards,

Maz
    Hi,

attached are the modules compiled from update4. Please note that I can't test them.
    Please try the attached kernel module before loading cifs.