[Q] Another Semi-Bricked NT Story - Help?

Search This thread

kltalley

Dec 6, 2011
[UPDATE #2]
I am now back on 1.4.2 stock (whew!!). Using the Ubuntu Recovery Unbrick sdcard did the trick. After doing that, I then flashed the raywaldo.com "repart.img" (which restores to 1.4.2). Thanks to all who offered advice. I've learned quite a bit about my NT during the past 24-28 hours. :) I'll hopefully get 10.2 successfully flashed tomorrow -- no more formatting! Only a safe wipe!! Cheers!

[UPDATE]
I now am able to boot from at least one SD card. I was able to put an sdcard image of 10.2 on a 4gb card and it DOES boot just fine. So it would appear that in worst case scenario, perhaps I can find a 16gb card that will boot and just use that (vs. internal memory). Does having a booting/working sdcard version of 10.2 give me any tools/etc. that might let me work on this internal memory (i.e. terminal emulator)?

I have a 16GB Nook Tablet that had been running a CM11 (KitKat) nightly. I was having WiFi issues (constant disconnects), so I decided to go back to 10.2 (or even 10.1.3). I did a stock reset to 1.4.2, and then flashed 10.1.3. It was acting flaky, so I thought "Oh, I didn't wipe everything before flashing, need to try this again". So during THIS "wiping" process, I was multi-tasking and went brain dead for a minute (I was on a conference call at work, IIRC). As I always do with my HTC phones, I went into "Mounts and Storage" in CWM and proceeded to format everything that shows up (yes, everything -- /rom, /bootdata, /factory, /system, /cache, /emmc, /data). When I put my full attention back to what I had just done, I had a VERY bad feeling..... (Trust me, I have already insulted my own intelligence enough over the past 24 hours -- so please, no posts telling me how stupid that move was...)

Anyway, here's where I am at this point:

CWM 6.0.2.5 Recovery is installed (internal). Any boot attempt just goes straight to CWM.

SDCard boots will not work unless I use the "plug the USB cable into computer first" trick (prior to this, sdcard boot worked fine). I tried the sdcard boot with the "repart.img" (which should supposedly fix partitions and get me back to stock 1.4.2), but I now get the RED "X" instead of the GREEN check, so that was a dead end. FWIW, I have used this method twice previously after other issues and it always worked perfectly.

This NT was purchased (sealed) as a part of a "lost freight" auction, so it can never be registered with B&N (which is fine with me). I only point that out as it relates to any "fix" process wiping out serial number, etc. -- in this case, that really doesn't matter to me. And considering I formatted /rom, it's probably already gone anyway.

(EDIT: I should have mentioned that I am also unable to use adb via USB cable with a computer. I've tried both a Win7 box and an XP box -- neither will ever install any drivers. It detects a new device, "NookTablet", then searches/fails to find driver, and then when I try to manually point it to driver in Device Manager, it says it can't find compatible driver. I'm using the standard usb drivers found here in several NT threads. I've used the NirSoft USB viewer and uninstalled the Nook-related entries several times and retried, but still no joy. )

So where do I go from here? Any attempt to flash anything using CWM doesn't really appear to do anything (well, it APPEARS to complete just fine, but when I reboot, it just goes back to CWM). Is the Ubuntu brick fix SDCard the best approach for me?

I basically just want to get some advice before I start trying things. I'm usually successful at self-fixing my messes, but this time I thought it might save me some headaches to ASK FIRST. :)

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I went into "Mounts and Storage" in CWM and proceeded to format everything that shows up (yes, everything -- /rom, /bootdata, /factory, /system, /cache, /emmc, /data). When I put my full attention back to what I had just done, I had a VERY bad feeling.....
In formatting /rom and /factory you wiped out the all factory-installed individual device data (serial no., MAC address, security encryption keys, etc.) which NT requires in order to operate (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2575489 for more info).

Have you considered the unbrick methods described at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49638948? and http://raywaldo.com/2012/06/how-to-un-brick-a-nook-tablet-8gb-or-16gb/?

Last edited:
Reactions: kltalley

kltalley

Dec 6, 2011

The sdcard "repart.img" I mentioned earlier was an attempt at the raywaldo.com unbrick. I immediately get the red "X" in the corner (vs. the green checkbox which indicates that it worked).

It would appear that the Ubuntu recovery/unbrick sdcard (that you linked to) might be my only viable option at this point.

Thanks, digixmax!

Last edited:

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
The sdcard "repart.img" I mentioned earlier was an attempt at the raywaldo.com unbrick. I immediately get the red "X" in the corner (vs. the green checkbox which indicates that it worked).

It would appear that the Ubuntu recovery/unbrick sdcard (that you linked to) might be my only viable option at this point.

Thanks, digixmax!

Believe it or not, but I also did something just as bad as you did. Basically, I wiped out my Nook Tablet 16GB's entire partition table. However, I DID make dd dumps of all the important partitions such as /boot, /recovery, /factory, xloader, and /rom.

After rebooting the tablet, it obviously failed to boot, so I had to use a bootable CWM card. Plugged into my computer, adb shell, ran gdisk (GPT version of fdisk, because the NT uses GPT partition table), manually recreated partitions, then dd flashed the backed up partitions I made a long time ago (I always prepare for the worst in advance, just in case).

If you have a full backup, I believe you can recreate the /rom partition and extract the specific partition's contents into it.
Also, you should try installing a Linux distribution (I personally recommend Debian, but Fedora or OpenSUSE are also excellent. Ubuntu I do not recommend, funny as it sounds). Trust me, adb DOES work, even if you formatted everything. It's probably something with Windblows that is preventing you from accessing the NT's adb shell.

kltalley

Dec 6, 2011
All is well again -- I have my NT back on 1.4.2 stock (see original post for details). Thanks to everyone!

Top Liked Posts