Keep getting error 0 when flashing android kitchen stock rom.

Search This thread

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
Hi all, my first post here, I hope its not in the wrong section

I know this will probably be a very noob question, but I have been trying to create a .zip file with my stock rom I downloaded from a site, (I have a HTM-H9500 [MTK 6582]), I was creating the zip in android kitchen, but whatever i do i always get Error: status 0 in CWM, I read that this would probably because of update-binary or updater-script, I have tried creating update-script (without the r) and CWM directly says that its very old and that i should create updateR-script, however when i do all the process again with updater-script I get this annoying status 0 error.

What can i do? I searched this topic in the net and all the sugestions people had said havent worked for me.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Replace the update-binary file from an existing custom ROM of your device with the ROM you made using kitchen that should do the job.
Also while adding the file to zip make sure you set the compression to store
Hit thanks if I helped.

Sent from my C5302 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: AlpinoSoyYo

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
Replace the update-binary file from an existing custom ROM of your device with the ROM you made using kitchen that should do the job.
Hit thanks if I helped.

Hi! Thanks for the quick answer, the thing is because my phone is not very popular i havent found any other custom rom other than the stock specifically for my phone (thats why i was trying to port from another device that is very similar, but first i tried to do this process with my stock rom) so i dont have any other update-binary file other than this one.

About the other thing, how can i change the compression rate in android kitchen ?

Again, thanks a lot and sorry for my english

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Hi! Thanks for the quick answer, the thing is because my phone is not very popular i havent found any other custom rom other than the stock specifically for my phone (thats why i was trying to port from another device that is very similar, but first i tried to do this process with my stock rom) so i dont have any other update-binary file other than this one.

About the other thing, how can i change the compression rate in android kitchen ?

Go to play store and download zipme app.
Create any flashable app using zip me and then copy it to PC. Open the META-INF Folder then com->android ->Google then open it and you'll see a update-binary file. That is your stock binary ;)
Open the final zip after creating the ROM. If om Windows open the zip (ROM) created and open the zip created using zipme.
Copy the update-binary from zipme ZIP to kitchen created zip and when you'll do this you will see a menu that will ask that are you sure about adding this file, search around a bit and you'll see the compression option

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
Create any flashable app using zip me and then copy it to PC. Open the META-INF Folder then com->android ->Google then open it and you'll see a update-binary file. That is your stock binary ;)
Open the final zip after creating the ROM. If om Windows open the zip (ROM) created and open the zip created using zipme.
Copy the update-binary from zipme ZIP to kitchen created zip and when you'll do this you will see a menu that will ask that are you sure about adding this file, search around a bit and you'll see the compression option

Seriously, thanks lot, means a lot to me, im not used to get much help in forums haha, what you said worked flawlessly, now i get status 7 error, but this means where going somewhere, il keep digging to fix this.

Thanks again :)

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Seriously, thanks lot, means a lot to me, im not used to get much help in forums haha, what you said worked flawlessly, now i get status 7 error, but this means where going somewhere, il keep digging to fix this.

Glad to help friend :)
Status 7 is error with your mount points.
In your updater-script when you'll open it (open using NOTEPAD++ ONLY, don't use notepad or wordpad) you will see two lines as
Format ("MTD", "SYSTEM"); and other would be mount.
Check these two lines and replace them with your device mount paths :)
You'll be having no problem.!

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
In your updater-script when you'll open it (open using NOTEPAD++ ONLY, don't use notepad or wordpad) you will see two lines as

Thanks !
In my updater-script I have this two lines
format("MTD", "system");
mount("MTD", "system", "/system");

I know i should know this by now but what are you refering to with 'your device mount paths'?

Thanks a lot, trying to learn here :)

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Thanks !
format("MTD", "system");

I know i should know this by now but what are you refering to with 'your device mount paths'?

Do you have a recovery.img for your device?
Extract it using kernel kitchen and then after extracting it you' ll get a folder named ramdisk.
Open it go to etc and then recovery.fstab.
Open it with notepad++ and see the mount paths for your device just copy and replace it.
Mount path is the line that tell CWM where to install the particular files. If you face any problems then attach your recovery.img and updater-script and I'll have look at it :)

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
Extract it using kernel kitchen and then after extracting it you' ll get a folder named ramdisk.
Open it with notepad++ and see the mount paths for your device just copy and replace it.
Mount path is the line that tell CWM where to install the particular files. If you face any problems then attach your recovery.img and updater-script and I'll have look at it :)

Well i didnt had kernel kitchen so after downloading it and runing it i only found those 5 options:
1 work with boot.img files
2 work with kernel.sin and ftf files
3 work wih kernel.elf files
4 work with init ramdisk
5 editing bootsplash image

But nothing to extract recovery.img, i suposed that i should just change recovery.img name to boot.img and do the process but i get an empty folder in the output folder, what should I do?

Thanks thanks thanks again

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Google this tool "std unpack" open to first link and download that tool.
Drag your recovery.img to STD unpack and you'll get your files.
Alternatively you can also use kitchen to unpack the recovery.img
Just go to advanced options then go to boot unpacking tools and follow steps as suggested

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
Just go to advanced options then go to boot unpacking tools and follow steps as suggested

Seriously, sorry to be this stupid, but i cant find anything googling "std unpack" "std unpack tool" or "std unpack download" just a bunch of c++ questions..

Thanks again..

EDIT: nevermind i did it with kitchen like you said in advanced options, this is what I have in recovery.fstab
# mount point fstype device [device2]
/misc emmc /dev/misc
/data ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
/system ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
/cache ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
/boot emmc /dev/bootimg
/recovery emmc /dev/recovery
/emmc vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /dev/block/mmcblk1
/sd-ext auto /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

How should i change the lines: format("MTD", "system"); and mount("MTD", "system", "/system"); according to that?

Again, thanks for the extensive help :)

Last edited:

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Seriously, sorry to be this stupid, but i cant find anything googling "std unpack" "std unpack tool" or "std unpack download" just a bunch of c++ questions..

Thanks again..

EDIT: nevermind i did it with kitchen like you said in advanced options, this is what I have in recovery.fstab
# mount point fstype device [device2]
/misc emmc /dev/misc
/data ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
/system ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
/cache ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
/boot emmc /dev/bootimg
/recovery emmc /dev/recovery
/emmc vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /dev/block/mmcblk1
/sd-ext auto /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

How should i change the lines: format("MTD", "system"); and mount("MTD", "system", "/system"); according to that?

Again, thanks for the extensive help :)
Ready to help always :)
Use this command for format.
format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5", "system") ;
For mount statement just replace format with mount and keep rest same.

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Thanks again man...
Im still getting status 7 error but now it says format() expects 3 args, got 4

Update-binary error only. Try to get a update-binary for your mobile model this is only the problem rest everything is ok.
Also keep a nandroid backup ready if anything goes wrong just explore your device. If it is a Mediatek6557 (just a example) device then search for the any handset running the board of mtk 6557 and download it's custom ROM and replace update-binary and it will work. Download CPU-Z for your phone from play store to get detailed information of your device and board.

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
Update-binary error only. Try to get a update-binary for your mobile model this is only the problem rest everything is ok.
Also keep a nandroid backup ready if anything goes wrong just explore your device. If it is a Mediatek6557 (just a example) device then search for the any handset running the board of mtk 6557 and download it's custom ROM and replace update-binary and it will work. Download CPU-Z for your phone from play store to get detailed information of your device and board.

Well thanks, i'll kep searching, one last thing, why would my update-binary wont work? i mean, im using stock rom and trying to flash stock rom again, why would i need a different one?

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
You using stock ROM but according to device it doesn't know stock or custom for it everything we flash is just a external source which is implemented in it.

Well like you said i kept searching and found an update binary that did the trick and everything flashed just fine, however, even though i didnt get a bootloop, when i turn on the phone it shows the brand logo as always and then its just a black screen.

Any ideas? Thanks !!

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Check the permissions in updater-script to and hope you can boot into recovery, restore the phone to old state and then using kitchen convert your updater-script (edify) to update-script (amend) and check for errors. Ignore error with the format and mount command

AlpinoSoyYo

Aug 23, 2014
Check the permissions in updater-script to and hope you can boot into recovery, restore the phone to old state and then using kitchen convert your updater-script (edify) to update-script (amend) and check for errors. Ignore error with the format and mount command

Thanks again, what should i look for in permissions in updater-script?
and update-script (without r) gives me problems when i try to flash in cwm

Tech N You

Jul 10, 2014
Unknown Land
Update-script is old format and isn't used much more. New devices use updater-script for flashing

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hit thanks if I helped.

Thanks !
    format("MTD", "system");