64gb Micro SDXC Card ?

Search This thread

I_@m_me

Aug 28, 2011
Manila
This had to happen when SE said it was compatible with 32gb

Sent from my Xperia S using XDA

i dont think phone compatibility is the cause here you should have errors and possible file system corruption not frying a card unless microsdhc and microsdxc have very different voltage and the software detects the card as a microsdhc card and overvolts it btw does the phone work still ?

ddanat

Jan 29, 2009
so what's the verdict, other-64gb-x10-users? is it safe or not? My ebay finger is starting to itch with these cards getting less expensive. :)

Last edited:

blackspy_

Nov 29, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
sandisk sdxc 64 gb

hi Forum,

Guess i'll got an defective Card -.-

i guess we fried it :)

i put one into an p6800, tried to format, as suggested by other users here.
-tab froze. and it wouldn't recognize a card being in the slot.
-windows aborts, saying that it couldn't finish the formatting
-diskpart aborts similarly
-parted live can't see the card
-QNAP nas simply aborts

any ideas to get this alive again ?

Hzu

Nov 13, 2010
Really is a good news... awesome!! 64GB!

No, we're still not confirmed if it's fully working yet, as it's the matter of hardware limitation. The guy above you, got his card broken because he used it with the X10. So I suggest not to use on it yet, if you already have.

TesseractE

Jul 29, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
www.google.com
I have an x10 and I grabbed a 64gb MicroSDXC card a while back on Amazon for $60. The only problem I had was recently when I tried to upgrade from a GB ROM to one running ICS. For some reason, the card was making it spontaneously reboot. After a reformat, it's been working just fine.

There's a bit of a trick to formatting it, too. If you're lucky, you can just slap it in and tell Android to format it. That'll get it set up just fine. If not, plug it into your PC and format it with the FAT32 filesystem with cluster sizes of 32kb. Make sure it's formatted as a Primary Drive and not Logical, and you should be good to go. For this, I found a free option online called 'EASEUS'. Quite easy to find with a quick Google search.

praondevou1

Nov 30, 2011
Works great

Even though it's an old thread I thought I post my experience here. Bought this card from Amazon for $60: "SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC"

(I can't post links because I don't have enough posts, just search for the above term on Amazon)

I put my whole music collection of 60Gb on it. It works flawlessly. Tested it with Winamp and some other players. I tested the same card on a Verizon Eris Droid, works also, but it didn't have enough computing power. The X10 handles this amount of data without any problems. I can browse within the collection (with winamp) without disturbing delays.

That's it. No need for an Ipod touch.

Good luck

(If 128Gb wasn't so expensive I would have tried this) :eek:

Dr Goodvibes

Dec 8, 2011
SanDISK 64GB SDcard partitioned

Inserted my new 64GB SanDisk UHS-I card into my XPERIA X10i.

ROM: GB 2.3.3 (reduced to 95 system applications)
Kernel: DoomKernel V6 operationally clocked at 1113MHz
Features: XPERIA S applications and Home Launcher
Data Partition: Linked via Link2SD
SDcard: 64GB SanDisk Ultra® microSDXC™ UHS-I
Battery: 1800mAh Mugen Power Battery

Tested the original 64GB exFAT card prior to FAT32 format on my Win7 PC using CrystalDiskMark, HDTune and ATTO benchmark and all returned around 10-13MB sequential write and around 18MB read (Max threshold of my card reader not known)

Formatted the SanDisk 64GB card to FAT32 and 32K cluster size and re-tested the benchmarks with the same results.

Created a second primary 1GB partition formatted as ext3(cause for some result my X10i doesn't like ext4 at the moment)

Used my NAS to copy over my Link2SD partition data from my old 32GB SanDisk UHS-I card, inserted the card and rebooted the phone.

Everything can be seen OK with all applications accessible.

I did mount the card prior to adding the second partition and it showed ~59GB available data in setting->storage. This was what was shown in Win7 both as exFAT and FAT32. The raw SDcard size is seen as ~63GB.

Most Android SDcard benchmark applications show a write speed of 6-8MB and a read speed of up to 18MB. There are constraints on the 64GB card due to the size of the data structure regarding access speed using FAT32.

Other than all the above voodoo there is no real difference to the phone other than the fact I now have 58GB of available disk space. :D

I could place some of my 720p Video and .flac Music library on the card to see how it goes above 32GB, but I thought I'd run it with just a minimal amount of data on it to see how it goes over a week or two.

The funny thing is that with BSPlayer (video player) and Neutron Music player I can(and do) stream all my videos and music from my NAS with only a few music albums of the week on my phone.

Samba FileSharing App. provides great SDcard access over WiFi AP or WiFi hotspot for low-speed 64GB 'mobile file server' access on the go.

AnTuTu benchmark returns the following disk access results, which are optimistically higher than any other SDcard benchmark. ;)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Helron

Jul 9, 2012
NY
Inserted my new 64GB SanDisk UHS-I card into my XPERIA X10i.

ROM: GB 2.3.3 (reduced to 95 system applications)
Kernel: DoomKernel V6 operationally clocked at 1113MHz
Features: XPERIA S applications and Home Launcher
Data Partition: Linked via Link2SD
SDcard: 64GB SanDisk Ultra® microSDXC™ UHS-I
Battery: 1800mAh Mugen Power Battery

Tested the original 64GB exFAT card prior to FAT32 format on my Win7 PC using CrystalDiskMark, HDTune and ATTO benchmark and all returned around 10-13MB sequential write and around 18MB read (Max threshold of my card reader not known)

Formatted the SanDisk 64GB card to FAT32 and 32K cluster size and re-tested the benchmarks with the same results.

Created a second primary 1GB partition formatted as ext3(cause for some result my X10i doesn't like ext4 at the moment)

Used my NAS to copy over my Link2SD partition data from my old 32GB SanDisk UHS-I card, inserted the card and rebooted the phone.

Everything can be seen OK with all applications accessible.

I did mount the card prior to adding the second partition and it showed ~59GB available data in setting->storage. This was what was shown in Win7 both as exFAT and FAT32. The raw SDcard size is seen as ~63GB.

Most Android SDcard benchmark applications show a write speed of 6-8MB and a read speed of up to 18MB. There are constraints on the 64GB card due to the size of the data structure regarding access speed using FAT32.

Other than all the above voodoo there is no real difference to the phone other than the fact I now have 58GB of available disk space. :D

I could place some of my 720p Video and .flac Music library on the card to see how it goes above 32GB, but I thought I'd run it with just a minimal amount of data on it to see how it goes over a week or two.

The funny thing is that with BSPlayer (video player) and Neutron Music player I can(and do) stream all my videos and music from my NAS with only a few music albums of the week on my phone.

Samba FileSharing App. provides great SDcard access over WiFi AP or WiFi hotspot for low-speed 64GB 'mobile file server' access on the go.

AnTuTu benchmark returns the following disk access results, which are optimistically higher than any other SDcard benchmark. ;)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Using Moto roid Razr and 32gb Sandisk works well. Went from GB, to ICS, to root to Kexec and all is well. Wondering if it is possible via a PC to simply create 2 32gb partitions on the Sandisk? Wonder if phone will accept? Folks on this board have a lot more wisdom than I, and I suspect I am howling at the moon. Pls advise thaks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mhmm, thats because they created a new data format for SDXC and we're reformating to SDHC standard?

It's not about the reformat. It's lower than that.
    When id comes to SDcard readers, micro or normal, there are basically two types:

Type 1:
    Hardware/firmware-driven, that uses it's own hardware to manage the basic functions of the SD-card and presents is as an UMS device (USB Mass Storage)
    The benefit from those readers are less utilisation of the main CPU followed by higher throughput.
    The backside is the limited support of what standards it can use.

Type 2:
    Software/"dumb" reader. It'll just provide a "physial" connection to the underlying USB-system, and presents it "as is": a SD-card flash memory.
    In this "dumb" mode, the Operating system must provide all the routines in order to communicate properly with the attached SD-card.
    The benefit with those are full range compatibility with future standards, but it depends on software, drivers and the main CPU, which might result in slightly lower speeds and "sluggishness" as the IO-operations increases.
    However, if the OS and the SDHC/SDXC drivers in question is poorly optimised, the hit on the CPU can be drastically high whenever a read/write occurs.

So, which one is prefered then?
    It's up to the manufacturers of the hardware and the operating system.
    In our case here, Android can use both UMS devices, as well as generic/default SDHC and SDXC flash cards.

In my opinion, the type 2, "dumb" readers, are the "best" ones.
    The only limitations of what cards these readers can use, is only limited by the operating system and the kernel modules/drivers provided.
    And the "load" on the CPU as generally so small it's often neglectable, provided the drivers and OS is well optimised.

Which type the X10 smartphone uses I cannot tell.
    I simply don't know, but it sounds promising, as there haven't been any "corrupted data" reports from the few who are using 64GiB cards...

... yet!

If the X10 smartphone does utilise the type 1 reader, the firmware/hardware based one, it might "kick back", as data stored beyond the 32 GiB limit of the readers limitation, might just "disappear into the void", never reporting any errors.
    Users might notice this first when they try to access the previous stored files and finds out the content returned are just a stream of nulls. (null = digital void, nothing, nada, true zero, blank)

If and When this happens, only time can tell.
    Someone has to try fill the card "to the brim", and copy back the content verifying everything is correct and proper.
    Not just the filenames and filesizes, but also the content itself. (Checksum methods should suffice)
    Guys I' taking the plunge. If you see the youtube clip from the 1st post, all we need is to format it (probably with a SG SII) which should change the format to fat32 readable by our devices. If it should come to the worst I'll flog it on the SG II xda site or ebay.

Update 14/11/11 64GB micro SDXC Card works flawlessly with X10. Simply insert new card, phone will not recognise the format and will give message that card is damaged. Simply format (which is erase micro sd option on X10) and ENJOY!
    Keep in mind, there might be a problem once you store files beyond the 32GiB limit of the SDHC standard. Weird things and corruption might occur.

Sent from my X10i using XDA App
    Oh yes, it's important to test if it work with files over 32gb uage or it's not useful then to buy it too, any updates about it?