Convert the Tilt to have a front-facing cam?

Search This thread

soccernamlak

Apr 27, 2008
Durham
does at&t networks in the US even support this feature even if you get it to work?

Video calling? No. Currently, AT&T supports "Video Share," which as discussed, lets only 1 person use their rear camera for a video feed that the other 1 person gets to view on their cell phones. Only one audio/video feed can happen.

In terms of front facing cameras, the problem is due to the data and speeds needed, it could only be 3G market call to 3G market call. In addition, if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that even with the current 3G networks some upgrades would have to be made to fully support video conferencing.

Martinjv71

Aug 8, 2007
Chicagoland
Maybe...but to be honest, I bought 3 HTC's with cracked LCD's on Fleabay (8125, 8525, and the Tilt) for Under $400....then I fixed and resold the other two, and ended up with a 'Like-new' Tilt for about $120....Consdering what I would have paid new, I think I saved a lot more than just the difference between a new Kaiser and what I'm 'into' my Tilt for. :)

Sorry - just started fixing HTC's and felt the need to boast a little....

;)

- M

LOL- replacing a screen is much easier then installing a whole new interface and getting it to function correctly- Sorry I just thought I would take ya down a notch or two.

ChInEsE ChIcKeN

Jun 27, 2007
NYC
LOL- replacing a screen is much easier then installing a whole new interface and getting it to function correctly- Sorry I just thought I would take ya down a notch or two.

not even needed, if you can manage to get the front cam installed then all you need to do is flash a new rom that supports video call, which is practically every rom released these days.

ddunn

May 5, 2008
Evansville, IN
IF you can find the parts and IF you can get it to work with the rom, would you be able to use Skype to make a video call on your wifi connection?

PhantomYoda

IF you can find the parts and IF you can get it to work with the rom, would you be able to use Skype to make a video call on your wifi connection?

As long as the rom you install will support the video call and skype (some roms have issues running skype.

There is no real difference in the tilt and kaiser other then the fact that ATT put a branded face cover without the front camera hole, and had the front camera removed. Other then that, they are exactly the same phone, just one with the camera installed (and by installed I mean plugged in) and with different software.

They probably did this so that they could later release the same phone with a camera, call it an upgrade, and market it with their new video share service (or what ever they are calling it).

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
... I looked through the service manual and found that it listed the P/N as 54H00225-00M...

I just looked at the herme's service manual ( i have one here that i'm about to open up due to the screen fading to white) and its 2nd camera P/N is 54H00057-00P... i don't want to open my kaiser cuz i'm thinking of getting a warranty exchange (the "e" on the keyboard is hard to press, tilting screen is too loose, and extUSB port is cracked..)

my suggestion to anybody thats looked for a front camera is to keep searching on ebay every 5 days or so till one pops with a damaged screen.

ddunn

May 5, 2008
Evansville, IN
i hate you

Actually, I don't believe Skype Mobile supports video calls yet...

good information, thanks for ruining my day :(:(:(:(

I looked on the skype forum and you are correct about this. they say that 400mhz is not enough to send/receive/encrypt/unencrypt video at the speed that Skype needs
DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER IF THE INFO IS WRONG!!!

If anyone wants the forum url i will try and find it again.

8125Omnimax

Jul 1, 2006
New York City
has anyone tried interchanging a ttyn II screen assembly onto an actual tilt, just to make sure that the tilt can support the additional cam???

Kraize

Dec 5, 2007
California
@above
We don't need to interchange the screen....The tilt can support the cam if the ROM can. If you open your tilt, you will see that there is a socket to put the camera in there, only problem is that no place sells those cameras. We could take a broken kaiser and replace the front plate and put it's camera in the socket.

matmaneyre

Nov 8, 2006
Birmingham
Seems to me worth mentioning (as no one has mentioned yet) that the front facing cam is only a vga one, and would hazard a guess that the circuitry and certainly the compatible ROMs would be designed to support only as such. There was a mention earlier about "pugging in a 3mp camera into the socket". I reckon you would have to be very specific with the camera you use for it to be compatible, whether or not it was a HTC model.

Not that I have this problem as I have a 3G model. Just browsing and thought I'd give my input.

zanzee

Apr 2, 2006
Well my curiosity finally got the better of me, I took the phone apart and had a look at the front camera connector. Everything is there right down to the hole and mounting bracket for the front cam. All you'd need is the cam and to punch a hole in the aluminum cover and you'd be set. I tried to see if an older vga cam from a htc/audiovox smt5600 would work and the connector on the cam is just a little too big.

matmaneyre

Nov 8, 2006
Birmingham
Apologies, that's what I meant. I have a model capable of video calls. In the UK, "3" were the first company to offer this feature, there name coming from the "3G" connectivity, so we (or at least, I) firstly associate 3G directly with video calling, rather than data transfer speed, which of course would be more correct.

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque
What gives!? I have a HTC branded TyTN II but it doesn't have a front facing camera at all? That is wack man! I know I couldn't use it but it would be sweet to have it!