Convert the Tilt to have a front-facing cam?

Search This thread

DVSO2

Dec 16, 2005
Melbourne, Vic
I've just completed this very easy mod, I own a tilt which I use in Australia on the 3 network but had no front camera, I got the complete screen off a damaged Tytn II, pulled it all apart fitted the camera and front panel and the lower buttons, now mine looks like a Tytn II with a tilt Keyboard.

so in short it is an easy mod, getting the screen apart and back together is about the hardest part

Kraize

Dec 5, 2007
California
I've just completed this very easy mod, I own a tilt which I use in Australia on the 3 network but had no front camera, I got the complete screen off a damaged Tytn II, pulled it all apart fitted the camera and front panel and the lower buttons, now mine looks like a Tytn II with a tilt Keyboard.

so in short it is an easy mod, getting the screen apart and back together is about the hardest part

Any pics? How much did you get the damaged tynt II for?

udgn

Jan 14, 2008
San Juan
But you can use it as a web cam.

Hmmm now if only there was a way to get video working within skype mobile :p

I'm pretty sure that you can use the front camera as a web cam if you wanted to. And think that you can use it over internet.

I have a progam installed that let you use the back camera as a webcam.

ken0150

Feb 20, 2005
Naples
me too

i wanna make my tilt capable of doing videocalls, but i cant find any cam for tytnII, but on ebay i found a seller that has hermes' cams... maybe if someone near the seller can try it i will buy it surely. thank you.
ken

Bigdad_1

Apr 9, 2007
New Cumberland, PA
Congratulations! Though changing the screens is trivially easy on HTC phones... all you need is a torx wrench and some courage...
Amazing, isn't it? My son & I both got refurbed Tilts as upgrades for $99! He then proceeded to bust his LCD and was completely depressed over it. I found the lcd/digitizer on eBay for about $38 and the step-by-step instructions (with detailed photos) on this forum. Took my son (who is expert at the tiny electronics in electric guitars, effects boards and amps) about 1 & 1/2 hours to change out the screen - now its better than when he got it! Found the HTC service manual here, as well. Think I'll get him some Tilts & Wizards to fix off eBay!

As for the webcam on the Kaiser - that was the original HTC Kaiser 8920. The AT&T Tilt is the HTC Kaiser 8925 - without the webcam. The case found on 'Fleabay' is obviously for the 8920, & I doubt if 'adding' the webcam back in is even possible - would have to check if the mounts, connections, and necessary space are available in the 8925, first.

Anyways, that's my two cents...

BigDad_1

mbze430

Feb 28, 2007
Southeast Missouri
I would love to know if anyone found the cam for sale?

I live in the US, but I travel to Asia quite often.... and they use the front mount camera. I usually end up taking my N93 (with front camera) when I do travel over there. If I can get my Tilt to operate with the front camera, I can finally sell my N93

kaiser_user

Dec 26, 2008
Fairfax, VA
I thought of converting my FREE ;-D refurbish At&t tilt to TyTn II ~ but I never use video call so I only replaced the ugly silver keyboard with the all black keys.

As for the front camera, it's very hard to find. I searched everywhere for the last few months. I think the only other way is by some luck, someone with a broken/dead TyTn II decided to sold it for parts on ebay ~ this is the only way to get the front camera.

GuySparkz

Apr 10, 2008
why doesnt someone contact some international sellers on ebay and propose a deal for them to make a front facing camera for the tilt. they can make parts for almost every other phone.

playerboirob

Feb 3, 2009
att does support video calling

i had the lg vu with att for 2 weeks in i did video calling 4 like the whole 2weeks

denny_1986

Nov 26, 2008
its probably possible. The soldering points are probably still there on the circuit....
u can do this experiment if u have a tilt u r potentially willing to sacrifice and some extra cash....
good luck

Christian87n

Mar 20, 2008
if i remember right, someone said a couple of months ago that there is no soldering required, just plug and play. I would love to see how this goes.