[How To] Root - Galaxy Tab 2 7"

Search This thread

xreflection

Dec 17, 2010
I'm having issues getting the recovery to stay. It's keeps reverting back to stock. I know that you have to flash an unsecure boot image, but the other thread says you have to have CWM..but that's like a cyclical problem, lol. (I need CWM to flash the boot image, but CWM keeps getting overwritten by the stock recovery and so I need the boot image to stop it etc...)

nohctis

Oct 11, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
stuck in

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Added!!

EDIT: it's ok now.

Last edited:

bark777

Feb 28, 2012
I'm having issues getting the recovery to stay. It's keeps reverting back to stock. I know that you have to flash an unsecure boot image, but the other thread says you have to have CWM..but that's like a cyclical problem, lol. (I need CWM to flash the boot image, but CWM keeps getting overwritten by the stock recovery and so I need the boot image to stop it etc...)

See post 7 above it uses Heimdall to flash unsecured boot image and then you can flash CWM with ODIN.

Last edited:

bark777

Feb 28, 2012
So I tried to use Heimdall, but it said it couldn't connect to my device linusb -12 or something like that. I forget waht the exact error was.

Might need to load the driver that is included with hiemdall.

C:\heimdall-suite-1.3.2-win32\Heimdall Suite\Drivers\zadig.exe

Under options" list all devices" and load for Samsung USB

Last edited:
Reactions: xreflection

primetime34

Jul 18, 2011
I have done this on two different tablets now and both of them now have SOD issues every time I turn the screen off. I have tried flashing recovery to flash a stock rom, but in odin it gets stuck at the "Setupconnection..." and never goes past that part. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

cbetso

Jul 13, 2008
I rooted mines using unlockr site. But I did had to download Kies for the Drivers and you do need a memory card.

I. Before You Begin:

1. Rooting your Galaxy Tab will void its warranty and it can only be gained back by either applying stock firmware or unrooting your tablet.

II. Downloading Required Files:

1. Download ClockworkMod Recovery Image from here.

2. Download the Rooting Package from here.

3. Download the Odin tool from here.

III. Installing CWM Recovery on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

1. First of all, close Kies software on your PC.

2. Reboot your Galaxy Tab 2 into the download mode. You can do so by pressing and holding both Volume DOWN and Power keys together.

3. Press the Volume UP key to enter into the download mode.

4. Launch the Odin Tool on your PC by double-clicking on Odin3 v1.85.exe file.

5. Connect your tablet to your PC using the USB cable.

6. From the Odin Tool, choose PDA and then select the recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded earlier. You will have following screen:

Root-Galaxy-Tab-2-300x214.png

[ Select "PDA" option ]

7. Click on the Start button to begin flashing recovery. Your tablet will reboot when the flashing is done.

8. Disconnect your tablet from the PC.

We completed installing CWM recovery on the tablet, now move on to the rooting procedure.

IV. Rooting your Galaxy Tab 2 7-inch:

1. Turn OFF your tablet.

2. Boot your tablet into the recovery mode by pressing and holding both the Volume UP and Power keys simultaneously.

3. Choose install zip from sdcard option and then navigate to the rooting package you downloaded earlier. It will begin rooting your tablet, let it do it.

4. When the rooting is done, choose Reboot system now from the recovery menu.

Everything’s done now. You have successfully rooted your tablet as well as installed CWM recovery on it. This simple root method was brought to us by a RootzWiki user nycbjr, you should thank/donate him over at rootzwiki for his great work!

Last edited:

abarax

Jan 5, 2012
I know this is the wrong forum and the 10.1 model was just released a couple of days ago, but I wonder if this or a similar method would root the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 as the 7 and the 10.1 share the same hardware and OS from Samsung across the board, aside from the screen size.

Hmm. I wonder. Or not, as I don't want to brick my new 10.1, and I've already rooted my 7.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

Ayenn13

Jan 27, 2012
I rooted mines using unlockr site. But I did had to download Kies for the Drivers and you do need a memory card.

I. Before You Begin:

1. Rooting your Galaxy Tab will void its warranty and it can only be gained back by either applying stock firmware or unrooting your tablet.

2. Reboot your Galaxy Tab 2 into the download mode. You can do so by pressing and holding both Volume DOWN and Power keys together.

6. From the Odin Tool, choose PDA and then select the recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded earlier. You will have following screen:

[ Select "PDA" option ]

7. Click on the Start button to begin flashing recovery. Your tablet will reboot when the flashing is done.

We completed installing CWM recovery on the tablet, now move on to the rooting procedure.

1. Turn OFF your tablet.

2. Boot your tablet into the recovery mode by pressing and holding both the Volume UP and Power keys simultaneously.

3. Choose install zip from sdcard option and then navigate to the rooting package you downloaded earlier. It will begin rooting your tablet, let it do it.

Everything’s done now. You have successfully rooted your tablet as well as installed CWM recovery on it. This simple root method was brought to us by a RootzWiki user nycbjr, you should thank/donate him over at rootzwiki for his great work!

I am receiving E:signature verification failed message.

Juvenall

Apr 27, 2011
#!/usr/bin/Detroit
plus.google.com
After doing this on two different devices today, both of them had massive performance problems (nearly unusable lag, super slow unlocks, etc) and a few black screens of death. So I likely screwed something up. After some tinkering, the fix for both devices involved doing a kernel flash in Heimdall with a stock version rom's boot.img file. Now I have root and a devices that's totally usable again.

I'll toss up some detailed directions if anyone needs, but here are the files I used for this:
1) Heimdall
2) gt-p3110.pit
3) IML74K-P3113UEALD3-stock.zip (Extract this, use the boot.img file for the partition file under the Flash tab)

Reactions: YOSEFE

tonysohn

Sep 24, 2010
Baltimore
After doing this on two different devices today, both of them had massive performance problems (nearly unusable lag, super slow unlocks, etc) and a few black screens of death. So I likely screwed something up. After some tinkering, the fix for both devices involved doing a kernel flash in Heimdall with a stock version rom's boot.img file. Now I have root and a devices that's totally usable again.

I'll toss up some detailed directions if anyone needs, but here are the files I used for this:
1) Heimdall
2) gt-p3110.pit
3) IML74K-P3113UEALD3-stock.zip (Extract this, use the boot.img file for the partition file under the Flash tab)

Thanks a bunch for the info. I also had that unusable lag problem with the heimdall method, and it seems that you found the solution! In my case, I restored everything to stock using the file in your 3), and then used ODIN on a PC. Good to know that I can use my mac/linux next time I have to root my device for some reason.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here it is

since we have no forum yet (um come on mods get to it!) I can't post a shiny new thready for my very first real dev, ROOT FOR YOUR GALAXY TAB 2 7.0!!

so I'll put it in this post, and I'll mention I posted this on rootzwiki first, we have our very own forum there... (XDA I love ya, and I know you will get there hehe)

** Edit ***
    I just attached the files as well as mediafire, rename the txt file to pit (xda won't accept the file as is..

I have gained root through using a modified boot.img from the gt-p3110 leak posted a few weeks ago, took me all day but here it is.

Note I haven't only tested this on my device, its 2am est and all my testers are asleep (that being termitech lol)..

Standard YMMV
    So big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

The method will have you using hemidall/heimdall-frontend there is a way to put this all into an odin package but I'm too exhausted to do so (for now).. Also I will not re-hash how to install or use heimdall.. you can look that up on your own

Get it here:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Process
    Once that is installed do the following:
    • reboot tablet into download mode
    • adb reboot download

• launch heimdall-frontend
    • go to flash tab
    • load attached pit file (gt-p3110.pit)
    • Then from partion details choose "KERNEL", click "Add"
    • then choose "Browse" and select the attached boot-bjr.img
    • choose "Start"

after the tablet reboots:

Code:
    adb shell
    ./su
    ./gtab2-root.sh

Congratulations you are now rooted!

I'm going to try and stay up a bit longer and monitor this (and the xda thread) please let me know immediately of success or failure, I will pull the files if failure.. Issues with heimdall aside, I want reports back on if things work.. They work for me.. and I tested a fresh factory img just a few minutes ago.. pretty sure we are good!

gt-p3110.pit

boot-bjr.img

I. Before You Begin:

[ Select "PDA" option ]

1. Turn OFF your tablet.

Big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

Flash xoomdev's CWM recovery First, then flash the package in this post.

Xoomdev's thread

Paste of his instructions:

Download the recovery.tar.md5

Make sure Kies is closed
    Reboot into Download mode (adb reboot download)
    Open Odin, confirm connection
    Click PDA
    Load recovery.tar.md5 file
    Click Start
    Device will reboot when the flash is complete

To reboot into recovery, just like any other device; adb reboot recovery

Link to the CWM Package

Link to root package

Thank for making this possible!

I followed these directions exact. But, I am getting the following error - E:signature verification failed - when updating 'cmw-root-gtab2.zip'

I did run that Samsung update on the device last week when it was first powered on @ BB - could this have any issues with the root process?

My tab doesnt reboot after the flash, its like it never even happened.

I tried the heimdall way, but the img file cant be found anywhere at the moment.

I am new to the android world, so bear with me. I followed the exact steps for this one that you posted, and my tablet acts like nothing even happened.

Pretty sure you need to follow the thread over on rootzwiki called "Stopping recovery overwrite" in the Galaxy Tab 2 (7") Development forum. After that use ODIN to flash CWM. You need to do this if the upgrade was applied to your stock tab (UEALD3 / SEP-66 #1).
    Big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Flash xoomdev's CWM recovery First, then flash the package in this post.

Xoomdev's thread

Paste of his instructions:

Download the recovery.tar.md5

Make sure Kies is closed
    Reboot into Download mode (adb reboot download)
    Open Odin, confirm connection
    Click PDA
    Load recovery.tar.md5 file
    Click Start
    Device will reboot when the flash is complete

To reboot into recovery, just like any other device; adb reboot recovery

Link to the CWM Package

Link to root package

Thank for making this possible!

I followed these directions exact. But, I am getting the following error - E:signature verification failed - when updating 'cmw-root-gtab2.zip'

I did run that Samsung update on the device last week when it was first powered on @ BB - could this have any issues with the root process?