Tmobile G1...

Search This thread

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
I am a G1/Wing owner. I got my G1 2 days ago and i can tell you, i am very happy with the phone so far. I do miss using TTran's OPT and hope they port TouchFlo2D to Android. The Manilla Theme is the best i've seen!

I am also one of those people that would much rather run Linux on my PCs at home, but don't because i am in the IT field so i need to stay current on Windows. Anyhow, I understand people wanting to wait and recommend most do that. I am not usually the type to jump on a product at Version 1 until some updates and public testing has been done. But i am looking forward to Android's growing pains!

Nice...I really haven't been able to find much software at all for the G1. Have you? I also heard the app store isn't quite what it is supposed to be, but I really don't like the idea of paying for software. (I'm not talking about warez either), I just mean freeware.

iPhone iWing

Mar 3, 2008
ok all of you have horrible taste!! touch diamond? touch pro?? what?!?! no way.. TOUCH HD baby!!!! lol jp... but no seriously lol.. the most beautiful and sickest phone that HTC is releasing.. i mean ya i got the g1 and yes its sick.. but it lacks task mangager and a soft reset.. which is like what?? also pc sycn is horrible.. nothing happens.. it only reconizes the sd.. ya wow.. thats great to edit and diagnose your phone with. so im a little sad with it. but its very very sexy, super inpresive fast!!! easy interface.. internet with tmobile edge has increased in speed compared to my wing.. dont worries guys. my wing will be mine forever lol!!!!! fo sho..

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
Nice...I really haven't been able to find much software at all for the G1. Have you? I also heard the app store isn't quite what it is supposed to be, but I really don't like the idea of paying for software. (I'm not talking about warez either), I just mean freeware.

I haven't been looking for software for the G1 other then on the Market. Without anyway to flash the original firmware back on to the phone from the PC, i won't be downloading random apps! There are way to many malicious people out there to be grabbing rogue apps.

Have you found anything good? I am looking forward to the IPhone type virtual keyboard, task manager and a file browser =)

iPhone iWing

Mar 3, 2008
I haven't been looking for software for the G1 other then on the Market. Without anyway to flash the original firmware back on to the phone from the PC, i won't be downloading random apps! There are way to many malicious people out there to be grabbing rogue apps.

Have you found anything good? I am looking forward to the IPhone type virtual keyboard, task manager and a file browser =)

I am really looking foward to a touch keyboard ne kind! I would really like a task manger also and something that allows for an easier soft reset.
For dling random apps you can always hard reset your phone. That's most def not hard

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
For dling random apps you can always hard reset your phone. That's most def not hard

But what if the app was written to destroy all data on the phone? Not sure if one is out there yet, but i am sure there will be one. Until TMobile releases a RUU i will not be downloading non-market apps unless there is a lot of feed back on it.

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
Tmobile G1

Well, I finally got to the store and got to play around on a G1, and I have to say, I wasn't all that pleased. The layout reminded me of a regular old cell phone and I wasn't a big fan of having a bunch of icons on the home screen. Now, I assume since it's designed to have an open os, there will be ways to customize it all, but all in all, I was disappointed. Plus, the keyboard was TERRIBLE. You really couldn't tell if you were pushing the button or not. I did like the feel of the slide out screen. It felt like it had some stability and wouldn't break. The screen was really sweet though, and I love the touchscreen. Also, I wish the buttons on the front were laid out a little different. They look very archaic. ...just my 2 cents.

mywing4me

Jul 10, 2008
My Husband is on his SECOND phone today. He received his G1 when they first came out and it started giving him trouble. He said the ''second'' batch is suppose to be the batch that is working properly.. So, we will see. But, I played with his phone and there is NO WAY I will lay down my wing for the G1.

dougstoner

Apr 22, 2008
Atlanta
My Husband is on his SECOND phone today. He received his G1 when they first came out and it started giving him trouble. He said the ''second'' batch is suppose to be the batch that is working properly.. So, we will see. But, I played with his phone and there is NO WAY I will lay down my wing for the G1.

Wow, really? Eek, well my plans for getting one just took a halt.
Well, we will see once the software starts pouring out for it. As it stands now, I really don't like the overall feel of the software, and the look either. I could get used to the ugly buttons on the front, but navigating is a pain in the arse. The only pros is the screen is beautiful.

holiday5804

Jan 24, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, really? Eek, well my plans for getting one just took a halt.
Well, we will see once the software starts pouring out for it. As it stands now, I really don't like the overall feel of the software, and the look either. I could get used to the ugly buttons on the front, but navigating is a pain in the arse. The only pros is the screen is beautiful.

I bought 2 G1's with the intent on selling both of them and the phone started calling my name, so I was forced to start playing with one of them and now own a G1:) There are definitely things I like about the herald better, especially with OT 7.3. but the G1 has it's perks too. The keyboard is nice once you get used to it although I can't type as fast as on my wing. The screen itself is brilliant and kills the wing. Speed, both with 3g and with the stronger processor also kills the wing. My largest drawback right now is the difficulty of syncing my outlook calendar with google calender as I keep getting an error message. IWhen someone develops a program so that the G1 can sync with activesync it will be the greatest day of my life! Overall, the wing does have it's perks, but once you get used to the speed and enhanced capabilities of the G1 you will not want to go back. Now if only someone would hurry up and develop an on-screen keyboard........

lightfighter

Feb 19, 2008
its a good phone.......... just needs some more apps

I like it its fast and pretty sleek..... just wondering is it as tough as my wing?

diabolical28

Feb 3, 2008
Milwaukee
no one here said the G1 wouldnt blow the wing out of the water BUT its still so brand new that there is NOTHING really out there for it yet. Also as far as i am concerned with googles monster FLOP on the Chrome roll-out im happy to wait until the dust settles and the price comes down.

asctony

I have looked at the G1 and played with it. The local T-Mobiles do not have it onhand. My area is not G3.
Research/reviews not very impressive.
I have been looking at the Blackberry Storm and that seems to be a much better phone than the G1. MHO
Anyone think/review the Storm?

Dalamak

Dec 2, 2008
Newark
Give this man a cigar

what would be great would be a g1 wm6 port - with fully functional drivers..... i know everyone is talking about getting android on their phone, but just think for a second how nice it would be to get a nice new extremely fast phone for 170 odd dollars and continue using all the software you are familiar with.... and then as soon as application development and customization become mainsteam for android you could always flash back. i know its too much to wish for because of the lack of drivers, but it would be great for me if it ended up happening

I'm hoping and prayin for someone to come up with a WM6 port

Dalamak

Dec 2, 2008
Newark
done

Well I think I'm gonna throw in the towel and return the G1, I'm just not happy with it. The Phone is pretty ugly and the Android os is just too new, I need my Winmo's market saturation. I'm constanlty uninstalling apps and cleaning the cahce to free up the internal memory. Not being a Dev I feel trapped in this os, and constantly looking for something new to come up