Link2SD & CM11: Optimal Strategies

Search This thread

Arson Smith

Jan 27, 2012
I am super-curious if & how anyone here is using Link2SD successfully with CM11 (on the Epic 4G, specifically).

I've tried scouring these forums, and the Internet in general, to figure out the best way to get this to work...

But everything that I've tried, it all seems to be working great, only up until the first time that the phone reboots, then it all goes to hell.

I am wondering if there are any extra steps to follow, specifically for the Epic 4G, or any particular pitfalls known to avoid?

That's why I wanted to ask here, specifically to Epic 4G users...

If you are getting Link2SD to work well with CM11, then please chime in here, and can you explain how you got it all set up and working well?

(I feel like this is the one last thing that if I could conquer it, then I could really continue to get a lot of life out of this phone... as it stands, it seems too risky to put much faith in Link2SD, because if the phone happens to spontaneously reboot while I'm out running around, then I'm screwed because so many apps just disappear, and then it's a pain to re-download, re-install, and re-setup each of them...)

Thanks in advance for any help,
AS

Reactions: Snoshrk and Mr_You

churninern

Aug 8, 2011
I am using Link2SD on my Epic 4G with CM11 with some success. I just did a reboot, and as usual lost any icons that had links created in Link2SD, so I go to the app locker & re-add them to my home screen. This is typical of what happens on a reboot for me. One thing I did notice is that it takes a minute or so for the deleted app icons to show up in the app locker again, so if you are reinstalling them, it may be a matter of waiting for them to show back up. Also on occasion(not this time), Link2SD will prompt me about a problem with the links and then prompt me to reinitiate the partition or something to that affect. Once I do that and it reboots, the app icons are still gone, so I just re-add them. Anyway, I know its not a perfect solution, but with this device its better than running out of RAM. One last thing, needless to say, I only create links for enough apps to free up enough RAM to keep my Epic working properly.

Reactions: bbelos

Arson Smith

Jan 27, 2012
I've finally got a system going that seems to work for me, and so I thought I'd share some things.

I'm on CM11 (as of today, cm-11-20140602-NIGHTLY-epicmtd.zip) and I'm using Link2SD.

HERE'S A "GOTCHA" THAT HAD ME PULLING MY HAIR OUT FOR AT LEAST A DAY OR TWO:

Link2SD was having problems mounting the 2nd partition - it would just say "Mount script cannot be created." or something like that (not a very helpful error message), no matter how many times I rebooted and tried again. What I *finally* figured out (somehow), was that this error was being caused by /system being completely full. When I went and deleted a few things from /system (such as goofy wallpapers or that 'Apollo' app that I never use), then Link2SD was able to successfully create the script, and then I'd reboot and could use the 2nd partition successfully.

It's still a little aggravating that any reboot of the phone will cause all of my "Linked" apps to disappear - I've played with this until I am blue in the face, and have resigned myself to accepting that this is just "how it is" (?) - but I'm now using Titanium Backup as my workaround.

STEPS I TAKE WHEN THE PHONE REBOOTS:

1) Go into Link2Sd and make sure the 2nd partition is usable, otherwise recreate mount scripts (deleting wallpapers/Apollo if necessary)

2) Under Link2SD's "More" menu, perform the following:

a) Clean up the 2nd partition

b) Clean up the dalvik-cache

c) Clear all app caches

3) Restore apps from Titanium Backup

a) starting with Facebook app (the biggest hog) and then immediately go and make Facebook a "Linked" app again

b) restore a few more apps (to internal/phone), then go and shuffle those over to "Linked" apps via Link2SD

c) (repeat step 'b' until all apps are restored and "Linked" via Link2SD

^ This is the only way I've been able to get this to work for me... but now I can put about as many apps on the phone as I'll ever possibly need, and I have to say everything is running pretty smoothly now - but if anyone can see a better way, or how to improve what I'm doing, then I'm all ears... please let me (us) know.

Thanks!

Reactions: bbelos and Mr_You

samep

Dec 8, 2011
Apex launcher doesn't lose the icons. I can free about 66MB of system space by swapping the launcher, deleting CM wallpapers, live wallpaper and Google keyboard.
I verified link2SD plus was not working properly but free link2SD works as advertised. For me, just installing the plus version will break the working functions of the free version. The free version scripts, links and launcher icons survive reboots. The plus version continually lost mount and wouldn't properly clean up the second partition and was not copying the lib files and placing them in the second partition.

Edit: per the developer's request, after verifying free link2SD was setup and surviving reboots, I added plus link2SD and rebooted: OK so far. Next I linked a file with plus version; OK until reboot. The application was not found except in directories. Dalvik cache cleanup finds the dex link and file in second partition as unneeded files. Had to manually delete all the files and links for the broken application and reinstall it. Also had to uninstall plus link2SD to properly link again. Sent the results back to developer.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Edit: 6/20/2014; link2SD 3.4.8 fixed the reboot issue for the link2SD Plus version for me. Sent email to developer to thank him for the fix.
See post #8.

Last edited:

samep

Dec 8, 2011
Update on my last entry:
I emailed the link2SD developer and got a reply asking me to check the plus version again. In my reply back I linked him to this thread.
Another tip to add for nightly flashers that use link2SD and modify the zip prior to flashing: pull the mount script, 11link2SD, found at /system/etc/init.d and move it same location on zip before flashing. If retaining data, ie: dirty flashing; the mount securely retains your apps after flashing new nightly. Just checked with free version of link2SD: works.

Reactions: marle.m and bbelos

octantcomp

Jun 22, 2010
Bekasi
I am super-curious if & how anyone here is using Link2SD successfully with CM11 (on the Epic 4G, specifically).

I've tried scouring these forums, and the Internet in general, to figure out the best way to get this to work...

But everything that I've tried, it all seems to be working great, only up until the first time that the phone reboots, then it all goes to hell.

I am wondering if there are any extra steps to follow, specifically for the Epic 4G, or any particular pitfalls known to avoid?

If you are getting Link2SD to work well with CM11, then please chime in here, and can you explain how you got it all set up and working well?

(I feel like this is the one last thing that if I could conquer it, then I could really continue to get a lot of life out of this phone... as it stands, it seems too risky to put much faith in Link2SD, because if the phone happens to spontaneously reboot while I'm out running around, then I'm screwed because so many apps just disappear, and then it's a pain to re-download, re-install, and re-setup each of them...)

AS

I'm using link2SD for all minus 16gb internal android device. Here is what i do in epic 4g, currently on CM11 20140523, use 20131209 gapps. I just write the part involved link2sd :
1. Buy atleast 16gb microSD and class 10 is a must, make 2nd partition (usually about 4gb - 6gb) as ext2 - ext4 (depends on the OS).
2. Device rooted, install titanium backup & root explorer 3.1.3 (make sure the root explorer working). Uninstall system apk (one of the launcher, whisper push, terminal emulator (I prefer use better terminal emulator, install as user app), CM filemanager, etc - still more that can be uninstalled for more space in system.
3. install link2SD, pick ext2 - ext4 (depends), dont restart yet. go to setting, uncheck everything then restart.
4. After back to launcher, open root explorer, go to root/data/, check app & dalvik-cache folder, press copy. Go to sdext2 folder, delete lost&found folder (usually there), and paste. So the app & dalvik-cache folder is there now (you could copy data/data folder too if you really want maximum extra space in internal, but in epic 4g i didn't copy data folder because it's enough space).
5. At the sdext2 folder, long press app folder, select "link to this folder", go to root/data/, press "create link" - "yes". Then go to sdext2 folder again, long press dalvik-cache folder, select "link to this folder", go to root/data/, press "create link" - "yes". Do the same if you copy data/data folder to sdext2 folder.
6. Reboot. Done. Then installing others app or restore with titanium backup.

I hope this is useful. Some Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Launcher.png
    Launcher.png
    140 KB · Views: 360

marle.m

Jun 5, 2014
Hello
Thanks for that solution.
I`m searching for this solution since 1-2 weeks.
I had the same Problem on xcover 2 Link2SD.
Now it`s clear i have installt Link2SD and works perfect for just 3-4 days then i upgrade to Link2SD plus and then it happend like the Threat above.
I`m wondering that Lin2SD works perfectly on CM11 and if you go to Link2SD plus for money and this don`t work.
Free works perfectly and paid work not.
I have go back and everything its fine.
I hope the autor will fix the problem then i go back to plus.
Thank Thanks Thanks works fine!
regards marle.m

samep

Dec 8, 2011
Good news! It appears the link2SD version 3.4.8 released today has a bug fix to survive reboots for linked apps when linking with link2SD plus version.
So far, I've only linked one app with plus version enabled and it survived one reboot. Then Ⓘ linked the data folder and rebooted again which also survived the reboot.
Looks like plus version is fully functional; I'll update if it fails some time later.

Reactions: bbelos

Snoshrk

Feb 11, 2011
Boone
LG V60 ThinQ
Finally had a chance to sit down and mess with this...

Yeah! Success! Freeing up space in /system worked.

Next question...Will I have to remove the bloat prior to flashing from now on? ie no more CyanDelta easy flashing

Anyone have any Scripting-Fu to come up with an automated method of stripping out said bloat?

thx sno

samep

Dec 8, 2011

Next question...Will I have to remove the bloat prior to flashing from now on? ie no more CyanDelta easy flashing

Anyone have any Scripting-Fu to come up with an automated method of stripping out said bloat?

thx sno

I was thinking the gapps could be modified at the updater-script to remove some system bloat. Then remove some bloat from that as well. Most remove their own bloat choices so maybe a diy tut would be more useful?
I agree, the script would make the nightly flashing easier.

samep

Dec 8, 2011
Just realized that if using Link2SD Plus to multi link all folders of an app to sdext2 after a clean install is still broken, if using intended method. Apps linked this way are missing after reboot.
Working on a safer suggested method that focuses more on removing apps from Gapps but also removing some other system apps after flashing a nightly that requires no modification of the nightly zip on a computer. Have to focus on linking only a minimum amount of apps with free Link2SD considered less risky to move, like larger stand alone apps, not needed tools.
I've got a working script and method that works but the risks to be avoided need to be detailed along with the tut to script and tool your own modified Gapps that minimizes the flash to flashing the nightly as-is and then flashing a custom Gapps that includes preferred launcher and restore methods.
Removing CMWallpapers, Apollo music and Trebuchet launcher. Substituting blacked out Google play. Replacing removed apps with Apex beta test launcher for test group, blacked out Pandora (these will be installed at /data partition where they can be easily uninstalled or updated) I use my own borrowed wallpaper.
Along with the removed bloat from Gapps, this frees a bit more than 40 MB of system space.

Last edited:

Arson Smith

Jan 27, 2012
UPDATE: the latest version of Link2SD (3.5.2) has "fixed the bug that causes linked apps disappear on reboot when internal data is linked".

So... if you've also ponied up the buck or two for Link2SD Plus (as I have), then this finally works again like you'd always hoped it would.

I just loaded a bazillion apps back on the phone, and have been able to reboot multiple times without losing them.

The only time I "lost" them for a moment was after flashing to the latest CM11 nightly, but then doing the "Recreate mount scripts" and reboot brought them right back, with no other shenanigans necessary.

(Just wanted to let people know, because this is such a relief to me now....)

HURRAY!

Reactions: samep and Mr_You

samep

Dec 8, 2011
OK I'm trying this again. Reboots are fine as long as I don't select quick or soft reboots; I lose mount, linked apps not installed.
Now need to try the clean install of nightly.

samep

Dec 8, 2011

thx sno

One possible solution:

Reactions: Arson Smith

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

AS
    I've finally got a system going that seems to work for me, and so I thought I'd share some things.

I'm on CM11 (as of today, cm-11-20140602-NIGHTLY-epicmtd.zip) and I'm using Link2SD.

HERE'S A "GOTCHA" THAT HAD ME PULLING MY HAIR OUT FOR AT LEAST A DAY OR TWO:

Link2SD was having problems mounting the 2nd partition - it would just say "Mount script cannot be created." or something like that (not a very helpful error message), no matter how many times I rebooted and tried again. What I *finally* figured out (somehow), was that this error was being caused by /system being completely full. When I went and deleted a few things from /system (such as goofy wallpapers or that 'Apollo' app that I never use), then Link2SD was able to successfully create the script, and then I'd reboot and could use the 2nd partition successfully.

It's still a little aggravating that any reboot of the phone will cause all of my "Linked" apps to disappear - I've played with this until I am blue in the face, and have resigned myself to accepting that this is just "how it is" (?) - but I'm now using Titanium Backup as my workaround.

STEPS I TAKE WHEN THE PHONE REBOOTS:

1) Go into Link2Sd and make sure the 2nd partition is usable, otherwise recreate mount scripts (deleting wallpapers/Apollo if necessary)

2) Under Link2SD's "More" menu, perform the following:

a) Clean up the 2nd partition

b) Clean up the dalvik-cache

c) Clear all app caches

3) Restore apps from Titanium Backup

a) starting with Facebook app (the biggest hog) and then immediately go and make Facebook a "Linked" app again

b) restore a few more apps (to internal/phone), then go and shuffle those over to "Linked" apps via Link2SD

c) (repeat step 'b' until all apps are restored and "Linked" via Link2SD

^ This is the only way I've been able to get this to work for me... but now I can put about as many apps on the phone as I'll ever possibly need, and I have to say everything is running pretty smoothly now - but if anyone can see a better way, or how to improve what I'm doing, then I'm all ears... please let me (us) know.

Thanks!
    Apex launcher doesn't lose the icons. I can free about 66MB of system space by swapping the launcher, deleting CM wallpapers, live wallpaper and Google keyboard.
    I verified link2SD plus was not working properly but free link2SD works as advertised. For me, just installing the plus version will break the working functions of the free version. The free version scripts, links and launcher icons survive reboots. The plus version continually lost mount and wouldn't properly clean up the second partition and was not copying the lib files and placing them in the second partition.

Edit: per the developer's request, after verifying free link2SD was setup and surviving reboots, I added plus link2SD and rebooted: OK so far. Next I linked a file with plus version; OK until reboot. The application was not found except in directories. Dalvik cache cleanup finds the dex link and file in second partition as unneeded files. Had to manually delete all the files and links for the broken application and reinstall it. Also had to uninstall plus link2SD to properly link again. Sent the results back to developer.

Edit: 6/20/2014; link2SD 3.4.8 fixed the reboot issue for the link2SD Plus version for me. Sent email to developer to thank him for the fix.
    See post #8.
    Update on my last entry:
    I emailed the link2SD developer and got a reply asking me to check the plus version again. In my reply back I linked him to this thread.
    Another tip to add for nightly flashers that use link2SD and modify the zip prior to flashing: pull the mount script, 11link2SD, found at /system/etc/init.d and move it same location on zip before flashing. If retaining data, ie: dirty flashing; the mount securely retains your apps after flashing new nightly. Just checked with free version of link2SD: works.

AS

I'm using link2SD for all minus 16gb internal android device. Here is what i do in epic 4g, currently on CM11 20140523, use 20131209 gapps. I just write the part involved link2sd :
    1. Buy atleast 16gb microSD and class 10 is a must, make 2nd partition (usually about 4gb - 6gb) as ext2 - ext4 (depends on the OS).
    2. Device rooted, install titanium backup & root explorer 3.1.3 (make sure the root explorer working). Uninstall system apk (one of the launcher, whisper push, terminal emulator (I prefer use better terminal emulator, install as user app), CM filemanager, etc - still more that can be uninstalled for more space in system.
    3. install link2SD, pick ext2 - ext4 (depends), dont restart yet. go to setting, uncheck everything then restart.
    4. After back to launcher, open root explorer, go to root/data/, check app & dalvik-cache folder, press copy. Go to sdext2 folder, delete lost&found folder (usually there), and paste. So the app & dalvik-cache folder is there now (you could copy data/data folder too if you really want maximum extra space in internal, but in epic 4g i didn't copy data folder because it's enough space).
    5. At the sdext2 folder, long press app folder, select "link to this folder", go to root/data/, press "create link" - "yes". Then go to sdext2 folder again, long press dalvik-cache folder, select "link to this folder", go to root/data/, press "create link" - "yes". Do the same if you copy data/data folder to sdext2 folder.
    6. Reboot. Done. Then installing others app or restore with titanium backup.

I hope this is useful. Some Screenshot attached.