Is the Nexus 7's hardware junk?

Search This thread

peestandingup

Nov 10, 2009
Because I've been through 2 of them in a week & they both had significant issues. The first one had 3 stuck pixels right outta the box, and the last one had this weird scrolling issue. Come to think of it they both might have had it (I only kept the first one for a day). Anyways, it seemed like scrolling through apps & webpages was always a chore. Like the screen was "fighting" against me, hiccuping & just wasn't smooth.

And to be honest, I also wasn't crazy about the overall screen quality. It doesn't seem bright enough, colors don't "pop" & is very dull/washed out looking. And I've been reading all the issues on here lately (including the ones I experienced) & it seems like quite a bit of quality issues overall (including the screen itself coming undone).

Anyways, I know my problem wasn't software related. I have Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus & its AWESOME. So I'm wondering if the hardware is just crappy overall? I get that its a $200 tablet, but still. Something tells me Google should have went with Samsung as the maker. Or used their newly acquired Motorola partnership.

I don't think I'll be buying another one. Which sucks because I really wanted to love it.

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
This is par for the course with Asus devices. Piss poor quality control.

With that said, the software more than makes up for it in my book.

regalpimpin

Jun 21, 2010
A Motorola would be ugly and a Samsung would have more issues.

Like all devices, the first run isn't usually the best. Most have already been corrected. Good job Asus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: Logan_M

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Lol how does software make up for screen separation? Unless my screen gets glued back together with jelly beans I am SOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Screen separation was actually my primary problem. I put in some shims and added some super glue, and now it's solid on the left side for me. So yes, in my case, the awesome software makes up for this design flaw which I was able to correct.

chlehqls

Jun 18, 2011
Toledo, OH

Like all devices, the first run isn't usually the best. Most have already been corrected. Good job Asus.

Hardware wise, there isn't anything particularly bad about Samsung products in recent releases of their phones. They did have GPS issues before on the SGS2s but that has been long fixed. The only thing that I can see is the SAMOLED HD screens being grainy or yellow but I haven't had any issues at all with my GS2 and my Galaxy Nexus.

Samsung's quality control is usually very, very good.

Bigjim1488

Feb 19, 2008
New York
Screen separation was actually my primary problem. I put in some shims and added some super glue, and now it's solid on the left side for me. So yes, in my case, the awesome software makes up for this design flaw which I was able to correct.

Did you use glue to fix the screen flicker as well?

peestandingup

Nov 10, 2009
Did anyone ever figure out what was up with the scrolling inertia being so finicky?? That one seems like it may actually be a software thing. I wonder if another ROM would fix it??

But it bugged the crap outta me right off. Seemed like you had to swipe your thumb a dozen times to get to the bottom of a webpage.

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
I think the hardware is great.

I just think there are some manufacturing problems that hopefully are starting to get worked out.

Hopefully the IPS display is not as sucky as it looks and an update will fix the colors, gamma, saturation, or whatever needs to be tweaked. If not, I guess I can live with it for the price, but it should look better than this.

saadi703

Jan 26, 2007
Never had the screen flicker. Guess I lucked out there.

Many people including myself don't have flicker problem. I didn't RMA my device just because of minor screen lift. Other issues that I had are common on all other nexus like over exposed colors during and after movie playback, multitouch issue without proper grounding etc. So I am happy with my device now. Also I bought it to play games on it and it does its job nicely. I was looking for a 7 inch tegra tablet to play games and I was considering Toshiba 7 inch for that but at the same time Google announced Nexus 7 and I am glad they did on time i.e. before I buy that Toshiba as I would have been kicking myself then as it would be great to own a nexus 7 inch as compare to Toshiba 7 incher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is par for the course with Asus devices. Piss poor quality control.

With that said, the software more than makes up for it in my book.

Lol how does software make up for screen separation? Unless my screen gets glued back together with jelly beans I am SOL

Got mine today and absolutely no problems. Excellent tablets and it takes the load off my Samsung Galaxy Note. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2