No Love

Search This thread

Hasuris

May 13, 2013
Just doesnt get as many people dev'ing for it as other flagships this year. yea its a little old now but still lol

Cause there is no need to. If you switch away from stock, you lose everything, that is special about this phone. I am in love with active display.

Not sure why people crave for every next phone with EVEN MORE cpupower. Dualcore can do everything just fine and who cares if apps load 0,02sec faster o_0

Apr 18, 2008
The X doesn't get nearly the love it deserves. It's still a perfectly good device with plenty of untapped potential.
this topic has been posted several times over, with the same results. people, in general, love the phone how it is. the only benefits you will receive are through xposed. ROMs are basically non-existent (compared to some devices) although there is a kernel being developed.

my opinion: root/unlock, xpose/hack, done. the phone doesn't need any "help".

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
The OP is very correct. The Moto X did not receive nearly as much love as most other flagship phones. Now here is where the hate mail and complaining begins. Everyone says you don't need roms it breaks active display. WRONG run Eclipse or any other stock based rom it works fine. It is only broken on Aosp roms and they have their own active display so do some homework. And everyone feels like Xposed and gravity box is the best thing in the world. It hack and slashes your framework. I would prefer to have a dev hard code in the mods so it is much cleaner. But hey I am no dev so everyone will ignore this and continue saying the X does not need anything but stock and xposed and gravity. I am glad some are happy with that.

Last edited:

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
I'm with Travis. Stock (blur?) Based Roms are better than stock. I'm no fan of xposed either. Adding another framework to Android seems so... TouchPissy (twframework-res.apk anyone?).

Reactions: Travisdroidx2

Hasuris

May 13, 2013
The OP is very correct. The Moto X did not receive nearly as much love as most other flagship phones. Now here is where the hate mail and complaining begins. Everyone says you don't need roms it breaks active display. WRONG run Eclipse or any other stock based rom it works fine. It is only broken on Aosp roms and they have their own active display so do some homework. And everyone feels like Xposed and gravity box is the best thing in the world. It hack and slashes your framework. I would prefer to have a dev hard code in the mods so it is much cleaner. But hey I am no dev so everyone will ignore this and continue saying the X does not need anything but stock and xposed and gravity. I am glad some are happy with that.

Sure they have an app that works like active display but doesn't use the lowpower-chip that the stock app is using. So your juice will go out the window using it cause for it to work like active display, it has to monitor the sensors, preventing deep sleep.

What's the point in developing, if you can't use AOSP? I know there are stock-based roms, but I wouldn't call that developement. That are merely stripped stockroms with added apps and some tweaks. I like a good AOSP-rom as much as the next guy though. It's a pain to make it work like Slim does and I'd rather just install Slimkat but as I said, I'd hate to lose active display.

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
Sure they have an app that works like active display but doesn't use the lowpower-chip that the stock app is using. So your juice will go out the window using it cause for it to work like active display, it has to monitor the sensors, preventing deep sleep.

What's the point in developing, if you can't use AOSP? I know there are stock-based roms, but I wouldn't call that developement. That are merely stripped stockroms with added apps and some tweaks. I like a good AOSP-rom as much as the next guy though. It's a pain to make it work like Slim does and I'd rather just install Slimkat but as I said, I'd hate to lose active display.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I recommend looking into Eclipse. Highly modified stock based with his own coding for many features. Active display is not lost. And for the record I don't run aosp on this device but love aosp on other devices. But saying a stock based ROM is not developing then you are way out of line!
Do yourself a favor just run stock with xposed lol

Hasuris

May 13, 2013
You have no idea what you are talking about. I recommend looking into Eclipse. Highly modified stock based with his own coding for many features. Active display is not lost. And for the record I don't run aosp on this device but love aosp on other devices. But saying a stock based ROM is not developing then you are way out of line!
Do yourself a favor just run stock with xposed lol

I am no developer too and what I said came from my impression of some glances through the threads. But like I said, I am not able to judge and appologize if I oversteped. Didn't mean to offend.

Maybe many people are held back because of the risks involved in flashing with the Moto X. I own a Nexus 7 and a Defy and never was it such a hassle. Like you can't downgrade or you'll brick your phone and stuff. I guess devs only develop either for the phones they own or phones, that have a high demand for customroms. Neither of which are true with the Moto X I think.

Last edited:

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Well developing "stock-based" roms IS indeed development, but it is probably not "original development" based on the XDA documentation. Developing an AOSP-based rom (as the original maintainer and not a derivative of his/her work) would be considered "original development".

The statement that the AOSP-compatible variant of Active Display does not use the "low voltage core" and hence results in higher battery usage than stock active display is correct.

Regardless, all DEVs, whether contributing "development" or "original development" deserve our respect and gratitude. Without them, XDA could not exist.

If anyone wants to read the official clarification between development and original development, see here: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/orig-development/original-development-t2456997

Verttex

Oct 12, 2012
Dallas
Well developing "stock-based" roms IS indeed development, but it is probably not "original development" based on the XDA documentation. Developing an AOSP-based rom (as the original maintainer and not a derivative of his/her work) would be considered "original development".

The statement that the AOSP-compatible variant of Active Display does not use the "low voltage core" and hence results in higher battery usage than stock active display is correct.

Regardless, all DEVs, whether contributing "development" or "original development" deserve our respect and gratitude. Without them, XDA could not exist.

If anyone wants to read the official clarification between development and original development, see here: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/orig-development/original-development-t2456997

This is correct. But it is also correct that the X didn't get much love from the developer community. That's probably because it is so stock-based. There was very little, at the time of it's release, that people would have wanted other than the stock features.

I had a Samsung Epic 4g before this phone, and it had development even 2 years after it's release. I was running the latest Cyanogenmod 11 on the device even though it was so out of date.

The Moto X is a great phone and yes, it deserves more love, but it's hard to get that when the device is so 'stock' that only a minority of people actually want other options like Xposed, Custom ROMs, etc.
Any Samsung device on the other hand, plenty of people don't like TouchWiz so the developers get right on getting to back to stock android.

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
Who cares about ROM's or rooting when the phone allows you to do everything you need.

I really don't feel the urge to root mine at all. It does everything I need it to.

I really love the battery life and cool features like Active Display. I always use Touchless Control when I'm in the shower to do stuff lol, also when I'm driving.

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
Who cares about ROM's or rooting when the phone allows you to do everything you need.

I really don't feel the urge to root mine at all. It does everything I need it to.

I really love the battery life and cool features like Active Display. I always use Touchless Control when I'm in the shower to do stuff lol, also when I'm driving.

I am glad you are so happy with your phone. Just because you don't have any needs for anything other than stock does not mean others feel the same way.

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
Like what??

I seriously can't even think of what else I'd want in a smart phone.

If you have no idea why you would need root or have a custom rom then you should just stay stock. Everyone uses their phones different. The reasons why I bought a dev edition is too long to list. The moto X is a good device stock. But that does not mean that it can not be improved.

UbuntuBrandon

Nov 27, 2011
Augusta
Like what??

The reason most people on this site buy android over apple.
The sheer fact that they can put their own spice on the device and truly make it an experience they love.
Just simple economics, that's why android has such a greater global marketshare of smartphones.
Because the user experience is just hands down better and less locked down, like apple.
And the more you can do with an open source architecture, the "better"

kunalmothe

Aug 13, 2014
Moto X review

The X doesn't get nearly the love it deserves. It's still a perfectly good device with plenty of untapped potential.

Hello,
Indeed, the comment you have posted is right. If you compare Moto X with the other brand like Samsung and Sony then the features and quality in every brand we can see somewhere quite similar. And Moto X has its own name and originality to be in market.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like what??

If you have no idea why you would need root or have a custom rom then you should just stay stock. Everyone uses their phones different. The reasons why I bought a dev edition is too long to list. The moto X is a good device stock. But that does not mean that it can not be improved.

Just doesnt get as many people dev'ing for it as other flagships this year. yea its a little old now but still lol

Cause there is no need to. If you switch away from stock, you lose everything, that is special about this phone. I am in love with active display.

Not sure why people crave for every next phone with EVEN MORE cpupower. Dualcore can do everything just fine and who cares if apps load 0,02sec faster o_0