The HTC One X Camera Support thread

Search This thread

arknailed7754

Dec 28, 2010
The Matrix
Alex Does it eliminate the green flash bug and in your opinion how does it compare to standard sense cam.

This is literally the only reason im not using aosp etc!

switched to my back up of aokp, tried to install but looks like its stating wrong device as its looking for pyramid,could you help me with installing? sorry for all the questions!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Alex-V

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 26, 2008
Alex Does it eliminate the green flash bug and in your opinion how does it compare to standard sense cam.

This is literally the only reason im not using aosp etc!

switched to my back up of aokp, tried to install but looks like its stating wrong device as its looking for pyramid,could you help me with installing? sorry for all the questions!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

The pictures are good..not sure about the green..look at the upload one..its taking in dark light...i flashed not the zip in the topic..i copy the files in one of my update zips as the one is for other phone..also you can overwrite the files in a rom zip...the reason for me against aosp was this..but also beats audio..if you need more help let me know

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium App

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356213715628.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356213715628.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 606

Raadius

Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
www.thekillermeteor.com
Is it just me or is the One X Plus camera better than the One X? I thought the cameras are exactly the same I read, but under usage the One X plus camera (main) takes better shots, has less grainy feed and auto focus is more stable.

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
Lower exposure when you are taking photo in a very bright conditions. Use +1 or +2 when your photo look dark and stuff like that...

wrong.
at least when you suggest to lower exposure in bright conditions.
as a rule of thumb, exposure should be INCREASED in very bright conditions. beware of oversaturated channels, though, with blown channels it is very tricky to get a spot-on white balance (mmm possibily this is one of the triggers for unwanted green casts when using flash, btw I cannot see any).

Light meters of any kind are calibrated to reproduce a scene tonality as "middle gray". So a black scene tends to be OVERexposed to get a middle gray and a white scene tends to be UNDERexposed to obtain middle gray. Typically, the advice in the old age of film was increase exposure by +1.5 stops on snow or beach, and decrease exposure accordingly for dark scenes.

The second part of the sentence is correct. Indeed, my suggestion in the digital era, as a photographer, is trial and error. Change settings until you're happy with the result. That's why serious digital cameras (even many small and cheap compacts) usually have a live histogram or live highlights/shadows warning to help assessing exposure.

EDIT:
a couple of suggestions.

1 - if you want to get more exposure (i.e. above 800 iso), simply use 800 iso and correct exposure by +2 (if these are stops - I do not know honestly - you're then getting the equivalent of 3200 iso). Then correct in post producion on the pic editor in your pc by dialing in a negative 2 stop exposure.
really awful results, though. HOX pics are not clean even at base iso.

2 - dynamic range compared to aps-c or m43 or fx sensors is so bad that you'll always be fighting against blown channels thus compromising a correct white balance in most situations. That's why you're often getting color casts. Suggestions to desaturate and correct exposure by -1 both help since they both fight against oversaturated channels.

3 - focus. Try and focus on anything in the range of 1-1.5m and you'll have infinite focus as a result (hyperfocal). Apart from extreme close-ups, focusing with a sensor this small is plain stupid. It's a pity there is no infinite focus setting in the camera software (or maybe there is one but I cannot find it).

4 - do yourself a favour a buy a competent camera :)

Last edited:

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
Question: how big are your pictures? I've seen some guys with 3mb pictures...mine are just at 1.50mb, at high settings...is it correct?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
Question: how big are your pictures? I've seen some guys with 3mb pictures...mine are just at 1.50mb, at high settings...is it correct?

I do not know the details, but with variable jpeg compression algos it is possible to get different file sizes. The more details in the pic, the larger the file after compression. "Best shot" selection algos work exactly like that: since blurred images have less details, their file size is lower. So to get the sharpest pic, the algo just picks the largest one out of the bunch.

btw, you can try by yourself: take a pic of the sky or a flat uniform surface and then take a pic of a tree or some texture, and then compare file sizes. If they're the same, the compression algo is constant-size, otherwise it is variable-size compression. I never tried, hence I do not know (I do not use the smarphone to take pics...).

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
I do not know the details, but with variable jpeg compression algos it is possible to get different file sizes. The more details in the pic, the larger the file after compression. "Best shot" selection algos work exactly like that: since blurred images have less details, their file size is lower. So to get the sharpest pic, the algo just picks the largest one out of the bunch.

btw, you can try by yourself: take a pic of the sky or a flat uniform surface and then take a pic of a tree or some texture, and then compare file sizes. If they're the same, the compression algo is constant-size, otherwise it is variable-size compression. I never tried, hence I do not know (I do not use the smarphone to take pics...).

Thing is, I take the same picture as a friend of mine, full of textures and my photo is 2.00mb and his is above 3MB. On top of that, my camera does not focus well on close range...it loses focus and it can't lock it. I don't get why...

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
Thing is, I take the same picture as a friend of mine, full of textures and my photo is 2.00mb and his is above 3MB. On top of that, my camera does not focus well on close range...it loses focus and it can't lock it. I don't get why...

A different size makes sense if you don't get focus right. Or if you have a dirt lens and cannot get your pic as sharp as it should. Or you cannot handhold your phone as steadily as your friend and get a softer picture. If lens is clean, settings are the same, phone is the same, there are no reasons for sizes being that different.

btw, I STRONGLY suggest to buy Camera Zoom FX and replace the stock app with it.
You can even use "hyperfocal" focus setting (PERFECT for microbic sensors such as ours), so that you can completely forget about focusing from now on. Price is low these days, hurry before it goes back to 4.99.

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
A different size makes sense if you don't get focus right. Or if you have a dirt lens and cannot get your pic as sharp as it should. Or you cannot handhold your phone as steadily as your friend and get a softer picture. If lens is clean, settings are the same, phone is the same, there are no reasons for sizes being that different.

btw, I STRONGLY suggest to buy Camera Zoom FX and replace the stock app with it.
You can even use "hyperfocal" focus setting (PERFECT for microbic sensors such as ours), so that you can completely forget about focusing from now on. Price is low these days, hurry before it goes back to 4.99.

Have it already...and look at this
uploadfromtaptalk1357749349039.jpg

It focuses and loses it. This sucks...every freaking phone I've had worked fine with stock software. An EVO and Sense take better pictures...even my friend's S2 does.

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
View attachment 1636199

Best picture i have taken on macro. PoS....

honest, this pic means nothing if you don't explain where you wanted to focus exactly. Otherwise focus is achieved as it normally happens with contrast-detect focus devices on the edge of the darkest and lightest areas of the scene (hence where contrast is higher). Infact, you have focus on the border of the fabric, left hand edge.

even I do not use hox to take pictures (I use both nikon aps-c and olympus m43 cameras), I tried to shoot a close-up with the phone and easily got focus.

I do suggest you to try and download another camera app from google play and look if the problem persists. if it does, you have either a hardware problem or poor shoot discipline, if it does not, you have some setting in the stock app fighting against your pics.

Last edited:

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
honest, this pic means nothing if you don't explain where you wanted to focus exactly. Otherwise focus is achieved as it normally happens with contrast-detect focus devices on the edge of the darkest and lightest areas of the scene (hence where contrast is higher). Infact, you have focus on the border of the fabric, left hand edge.

even I do not use hox to take pictures (I use both nikon aps-c and olympus m43 cameras), I tried to shoot a close-up with the phone and easily got focus.

I do suggest you to try and download another camera app from google play and look if the problem persists. if it does, you have either a hardware problem or poor shoot discipline, if it does not, you have some setting in the stock app fighting against your pics.

Seems a hardware malfunction, cuz I have a good hand and take good pictures on my Canon T1i. I tried to focus the remote...I use my cellphone to take pictures of my cigars and this is the first phone to give me problems.

I'm out of warranty, how could I fix this??

lcampori

Jan 29, 2011
bergamo
Seems a hardware malfunction, cuz I have a good hand and take good pictures on my Canon T1i. I tried to focus the remote...I use my cellphone to take pictures of my cigars and this is the first phone to give me problems.

I'm out of warranty, how could I fix this??

Just try and use another camera app before sending for repair. Give a try to Camera Zoom FX.
Then, clean the lens with a soft cloth and shoot something far from you, just to check if you have problems only at short distances. You're not always shooting at cigars and remote controls, are you? If you still have problems, send for repair or use your Canon instead!!

btw, Canon T1i, as any other reflex camera, has a phase-detect focus system which is way different from contrast-detect ones.

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
Just try and use another camera app before sending for repair. Give a try to Camera Zoom FX.
Then, clean the lens with a soft cloth and shoot something far from you, just to check if you have problems only at short distances. You're not always shooting at cigars and remote controls, are you? If you still have problems, send for repair or use your Canon instead!!

btw, Canon T1i, as any other reflex camera, has a phase-detect focus system which is way different from contrast-detect ones.

I've used 2 diff apps, cleaned the lense (hoping that would work) and nothing. I only have trouble at close distances. Most of my pictures were taken to cigars...I can't walk around with a Canon to every cigar smoking place...think I'll send this to repir, thing is, I don't know where or how.

marzinho

Mar 17, 2010
I've used 2 diff apps, cleaned the lense (hoping that would work) and nothing. I only have trouble at close distances. Most of my pictures were taken to cigars...I can't walk around with a Canon to every cigar smoking place...think I'll send this to repir, thing is, I don't know where or how.

Well, try this - turn the screen off with camera on, hit your camera lens in you knee, or knuckles couple of times (pretty hard, with the equivalent force of clapping, for example), and try to take a pic.

I KNOW, it sounds like a pile of bull****, but works for me...

Reactions: germanojose

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I’ve decided to start this thread to ask for your help in creating a central One X Camera Support thread.

Please feel free to share all your experience, best tips & tricks, advice, links and anything else you may feel useful. Also feel free to ask questions if you're having trouble!

Over the coming days, weeks and months, I’ll do my best to organise useful info within this first post to help people get the info they need quickly and easilly. I’ll also try to put together some tutorials of my own as we go along.

Cheers,
    Bugsy.

Here's a tiny selection to be going on with. There are many more to come, and I'll find a way to make it more tidy soon:

Why are my photos 6MP instead of 8MP?

While the One X can take 8 megapixel images (and will do with a simple change of settings), the phone’s CMOS sensor is designed to capture images with a different aspect ratio to that of the phone’s physical display (4:3 vs 16:9 respectively). What this means, is that 8 megapixel photos don’t fill the entire display and result in black bands being shown down either side of the image. To combat this, HTC include (and enable by default) a widescreen option that crops the image to make it fill the entire screen. This results in a more visually appealing look that makes full use of the screen's real estate.

If you want to disable this function and capture full 8MP photos, you can do this quite easily via the camera’s settings menu (Settings>Camera Options>Widescreen).

If you’d like to know more about the effect this option has on functionality and image quality, I’ve put together a short video that may help:

http://youtu.be/JU-NLQrjb9w

When I start recording HD video, my camera zooms in. Why is that?

This is often thought to stem from only a small portion of the sensor being used for video capture. However, In the case of the One X, the main cause appears to be the result of pixels being reserved for Image Stabilisation. By cropping the camera’s view, HTC are able to use the spare pixels from outside the visible frame to counteract motion. The downside is a limited Field of View.

Currently, the effect of Real Time Image Stabilisation seems quite limited, so you may wish to trade this feature for a better viewing angle. Thankfully, HTC do allow you to do this via the settings menu (Settings>Video Options>Stabilisation). By disabling this option, you will gain (almost) the same field of view that you have in standard widescreen photo mode. The difference will be more visible in 720p mode due to the different capturing technique used.

I want to take low Light photos without using the flash. Is ISO 800 the maximum setting I can use?

ISO 800 is the highest level that you can select manually, but the phone will use anything up to ISO1250 if you leave the ISO mode set to Auto (or if you use Low Light Scene mode, which overrides any manual setting). Unfortunately there isn’t currently a way to manually select anything higher than ISO800 within the stock app.

The 4:3 live preview image doesn’t look sharp

This appears to be a software scaling issue that affects the stock app. Hopefully HTC will fix this in a future software update.

Will using a screen protector on the lens affect picture quality?

Image quality is really quite subjective. What one person considers a distinct loss of quality, another may consider negligible. Personally, I wouldn’t use one, as even the best protectors cause some degree of image degradation.

Having said this, you really have to consider your own personal situation. Are you someone that puts your phone in your pocket without a case or pouch? Do you have young children that might put the phone on a rough surface without considering the consequence? One thing is for sure – a screen protector will cause fewer problems than a lens covered with scratches!

White or light objects have a glow around them, especially when it’s sunny

This problem is, almost without fail, the result of finger prints on the lens (or possibly a lens protector if you have one). You’d be surprised how the smallest greasy mark can affect the picture in this way. Unfortunately, lens HTC’s lens design does little to help keep the lens clean.
    I'll get the discussion ball rolling. 16:9 or 4:3, I can't decide.

He he.. People are going to think I put you up to that question when they see my reply. :)

Here's a video I prepared earlier:

Bugsy.
    Does anyone have a solution for the green picture problem when using the flash?

Flash isn't the problem, the device in the picture is :laugh::laugh:
    Message on behalf of Bugsy

Hello,

I'm a close friend of Bugsy and he has asked me to log into his account and post this message on his behalf.

Bugsy is quite ill right now, so he's likely to be spending a good week or so stuck in bed. He seemed very concerned about some work that was only part finished and wanted you to know that he'll be back as soon as he can. He also sends his apologies to anyone that might be awaiting a reply from him.

Kind regards,
    Danny
    Just wanted to do the right thing Bugsy, especially when you've put so much work into this :)

Changing the subject if anyone would like to see a comparision I did between the stock camera app, Camera ICS, Camera 360 and Camera FV-5, please check out the following link.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/htc-one/discuss/72157629696073156/