[ROM][4.4.4] CyanogenMod Linaro Builds for OtterX [8/22/14]

Search This thread
Too much for this device.

Tried this ROM and it was really REALLY laggy off the bat. Made sure it was OC'd, performance selected, and completely disabled animations with the usual de-krufting of useless-for-kindle apps/gapps. It's still unusable. Hit a button and wait 10-20 seconds for a response. And I made sure to flash it right and wipe what needed it.

Actually, I found KitKat ROMs to be mostly overwhelming for this old hardware, and wondered why so many wanted lollipop given that (not sure if there is such a thing as a fast otterx rom though). Might just go back to ICS or a nice JB rom with tablet view, heh.

But the OTA updates almost made me want to keep this. That is some cool stuff. Also, off-topic, waiting to see how Lollipop pans out on the TF201.

A

AndroidSlave

Tried this ROM and it was really REALLY laggy off the bat. Made sure it was OC'd, performance selected, and completely disabled animations with the usual de-krufting of useless-for-kindle apps/gapps. It's still unusable. Hit a button and wait 10-20 seconds for a response. And I made sure to flash it right and wipe what needed it.

Actually, I found KitKat ROMs to be mostly overwhelming for this old hardware, and wondered why so many wanted lollipop given that (not sure if there is such a thing as a fast otterx rom though). Might just go back to ICS or a nice JB rom with tablet view, heh.

But the OTA updates almost made me want to keep this. That is some cool stuff. Also, off-topic, waiting to see how Lollipop pans out on the TF201.

Now THIS is the type of post that truly aids development..................NOT

Well, the point of posting that was sort of a heads-up to anyone who desires a functional tablet, plain and simple. I like the dev's work, and it is skillfully made and all, but if it has so much flash and slickness it runs like a slideshow on old hardware....what's the point? I don't see how a logcat would remedy hardware being underpowered for an application, either. Fairly sure that other lollipop roms would run as well on KF, so it isn't like I'm knocking the rom or dev in a personal way.

I realize that many just want to have lollipop because same reason one would run Doom on an iPod, I get it. But for more practical users, being able to use the device means more. Thus endeth my honest review meant for people like myself who want a better review than "lol just flashed and its fast" (any rom tends to be when nothing is installed yet..).

Reactions: RDionysus

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 6, 2012
Just an FYI, I compiled the kernel with SaberMod 4.8 and it seemed to be a lot slower to me. (I was testing on lollipop). I haven't gotten a chance to test linaro yet but stock Google GCC may be the fastest for our device (for lp at least). Oh and @Hashcode merged the low-ram optimizations I submitted to CyanogenMod. I can cook up a new lp build if anybody is interested.

pfederighi

Nov 22, 2012
Everett
Is there any chance that someone with more knowledge than me could adapt the battery drain fix from the lollipop kernel to the kitkat kenrel and recompile it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Standard Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device from flashing, rooting, etc.

Cyanogenmod Linaro Builds

These builds are compiled with the Linaro 4.7 Toolchain.​

Instructions:
    Download ROM and Gapps
    Make a nandroid backup (Optional)
    Wipe --> Factory Reset (Data, Cache, And Dalvik Cache) You only need to wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache if upgrading
    Flash ROM
    Flash Gapps
    Reboot

Downloads:

CyanogenMod Gapps
    8/20/14 Linaro Build
    8/22/14 Linaro & 777 Kernel Build

Kernel Source

XDA:DevDB Information
    Cyanogen Mod Linaro Builds for OtterX, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire

Contributors
    joshuabg
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2014-08-20
    Last Updated 2015-01-01
    Just an FYI, I compiled the kernel with SaberMod 4.8 and it seemed to be a lot slower to me. (I was testing on lollipop). I haven't gotten a chance to test linaro yet but stock Google GCC may be the fastest for our device (for lp at least). Oh and @Hashcode merged the low-ram optimizations I submitted to CyanogenMod. I can cook up a new lp build if anybody is interested.
    Testing

Downloaded and booting right now.....
    report later... old rom was pretty laggy not from you.
    Whats the best CM7 ROM for the KF then. I had heard this also, I would like to give it a test run but my CM7 ROMS longs since deleted on my PC to recover HD space..!!

This is the link for the thread of the latest CM7 which is pretty good (based on my memory).........is it the best? That's up to you to decide lol

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1508802
    I've found KK to run pretty good on my Kindle....LP is another story

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using XDA Free mobile app