Official Sprint ICS Officially Slated and Dated

Search This thread

mybikegoes200

Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
For those who may not have seen this, a Sprint VP yesterday put a date on when we might expect the *official* Sprint ICS update - and it will include Sense 3.6. In light of the VM woes, I for one will be in the "waiting for the official" camp. I apologize if this has been seen before - but to my knowledge this is the first *official* word on a release date from Sprint brass.

From the mouth of David Owens, a VP for the wireless provider, "the eagerly-awaited Ice Cream Sandwich update for the HTC EVO 3D is set to arrive sometime in June."

http://www.mobilebloom.com/arrival-...-next-month-confirmed-by-sprint-exec/2213697/

Last edited:

saboxerman

Jul 6, 2010
Duluth
For those who may not have seen this, a Sprint VP yesterday put a date on when we might expect the *official* Sprint ICS update - and it will include Sense 3.6. In light of the VM woes, I for one will be in the "waiting for the official" camp. I apologize if this has been seen before - but to my knowledge this is the first *official* word on a release date from Sprint brass.

http://www.mobilebloom.com/arrival-...-next-month-confirmed-by-sprint-exec/2213697/

Thanks for the info. I haven't read it yet. Not sure if it's posted in the correct forum, however, I'm glad you did because I wouldn't have caught it otherwise.

Reactions: mybikegoes200

mybikegoes200

Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
Honestly I only considered the forum-spot after I posted it. I'm such a tinkerer that I rarely pay attention to the other forums. Having said that - and I'm sure they would anyway - but if this post would be more fitting somewhere else - admins - please feel free to move it :)

saboxerman

Jul 6, 2010
Duluth
Not necessary. Guy's just trying to be helpful and no doubt the mods will move this one. Chill out about it.

True story....

Regardless, dude was trying to be helpful, and he was. Helped me. I've interested to hear the news and haven't seen it elsewhere. No one here has the time to read every single post in every single thread on every single forum. So, glad I caught it here as I've been waiting patiently.

Until then, I'm enjoying the Kingdom Boost ICS ROM has it has been fully functional with hardly any glitches. Android 4.0 + HTC Sense 3.6 = Win (in my book).

mybikegoes200

Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
Not only is this probably in the wrong place, it has been posted before...

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

Meh... I included a pre-emptory mea culpa both in the OP and after. I would, in complete sincerity, love to know where the *official* date estimate was posted before... I say that only because the interview quoted happened *yesterday*. Any dates before that were, according to the article, pure speculation.

Having said that, I concur that this is probably in the wrong place and again would say feel free to move it...

Reactions: saboxerman

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
notice how the release is after the release of the new evo. I wonder if they think the ics update will deter people from buying a new evo.

mybikegoes200

Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
notice how the release is after the release of the new evo. I wonder if they think the ics update will deter people from buying a new evo.

Believe me I noted the same thing... Dual core 1.2 to dual core 1.5 with a better screen... I'd bet the 3D is fixin to have its price slashed. But the fact that Sprint is, and has been, selling the 3D full-out for the past entire year as a flagship phone alongside the SII, nexus, and soon-to-be-released E4GLTE, I think Sprint knew it *had* to include the 3D in the upgrade - or the sales of the 3D would have petered out long ago... Just a guess.

I'll be in line for the E4GLTE once Sprint's network issues (3 months, and counting) in my area are rectified. GD "network vision." "Sprint - the Hopefully Next Month network"

saboxerman

Jul 6, 2010
Duluth

Probably so. Everything to boost sales! But, peeps like us who try to be savvy with the phone rooting stuff tend to extend the lives of our phones way past what the tech moguls try to tell us they should be. Shoot, even ICS seems to be hitting the old HTC Aria with a processor that's less than 1 GHz.

Vdubtx

Jul 24, 2010
Yup, posted several days ago.

Link

Also Evo 3d has already been declared end of life on Sprint. Virgin mobile Evo 3D will get ICS before Sprint, that is how we have a leak of ICS over in the Dev forum. A nice FU from Sprint....

Last edited:

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
may have been posted elsewhere, but I hardly look anywhere other then the /development forum... so I for one am very glad it had the "moved" tag in the development forum or I wouldn't have seen it...

Phreddo

Apr 1, 2008
Madison, wi
OnePlus 8T

It's marketing, I can see the angle. They don't want to tank potential sales of the new product by encouraging new customers to buy a cheaper phone capable of delivering nearly the same experience. So leave the new one on top long enough to get all the new customers to jump on, then start feeding the existing contract customers.

Now, I'm willing to expect the phone will never get an update, or at least take longer than it will to get me a new phone (Epic), but if they follow through with the ICS upgrade, that will make me a happy camper and tide me over until I'm ready and willing to renew my contract come November.

Figure that will also give enough time for tweaks to be made and bugs to be squished.

I *also* expect the upgrade to be delayed until the end of July :(

mybikegoes200

Jul 18, 2007
Chicago

Link

Also Evo 3d has already been declared end of life on Sprint. Virgin mobile Evo 3D will get ICS before Sprint, that is how we have a leak of ICS over in the Dev forum. A nice FU from Sprint....

Well there ya have it! I didn't find that one in a quick, cursory search and assumed the news so new that it didn't occur to me others would've found it.

As for Sprint - I'm quickly losing faith - between my aforementioned network issues and their track record of slow-to-market updates - I'm rethinking my switch away from AT&T to Sprint - and now considering the unthinkable - Verizon....

thefsfempire

Apr 26, 2010
Massachusetts

I used to think that. Until I actually used Sense 3.6. Then I was deterred to use a custom ROM or contemplate the EVO LTE.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Well there ya have it! I didn't find that one in a quick, cursory search and assumed the news so new that it didn't occur to me others would've found it.

As for Sprint - I'm quickly losing faith - between my aforementioned network issues and their track record of slow-to-market updates - I'm rethinking my switch away from AT&T to Sprint - and now considering the unthinkable - Verizon....

I hear ya. AT&T has the best selection as far as phones go (IMO). But I wonder, since VM is getting the 3VO, does this mean HTC will be obligated/choose to continue to release updates for it or will they not care as it's not an actual contract?

wardfan220

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2010
Eldridge, IA

Link

To be fair that technically wasn't an official update schedule. He said "the other devices" will get them in June, not the 3D specifically. Thread stays.

saboxerman

Jul 6, 2010
Duluth
I used to think that. Until I actually used Sense 3.6. Then I was deterred to use a custom ROM or contemplate the EVO LTE.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

I hear ya. AT&T has the best selection as far as phones go (IMO). But I wonder, since VM is getting the 3VO, does this mean HTC will be obligated/choose to continue to release updates for it or will they not care as it's not an actual contract?

I've been using Boost Kingdom ROM. It's by far been very bug free (little stuff, but, still a daily driver). It's not based on any VM leaks. It's a fully functional port. I have 4G, 3D camera, Wifi tether, bluetooth, video recording, camera. I haven't found anything really borked on it. Plus, I reverted back to my 2.3 GB ROM with no issues when I needed to get something from the data.

It has HTC Sense 3.6 as well and it's the best Sense I've used yet. Very smooth.

I've been to AT&T, and they suck. I'm not too crazy about Sprint, however, to be honest, out of the phone companies I have dealt with or have family who has dealt with, Sprint has been the least hassle, even though their network is slow and their updates, too. I use way too much data to be limited to 2 GB per month. Scr3w that.

Last edited:

t4d73

Sep 28, 2011
To be fair that technically wasn't an official update schedule. He said "the other devices" will get them in June, not the 3D specifically. Thread stays.

If u listen to his tone of voice and the way he said it, it sounded like he was just spitting any answer he could think of to shut the guy from Endgadget up as he was under pressure and now Sprint probably wishes he didn't do that. I too am with the idea of update in July or even ever for that matter. I mean do they really have to even give it to us in the 1st place? Most average users do not even know what ics is.

t4d73

Sep 28, 2011
I've been using Boost Kingdom ROM. It's by far been very bug free (little stuff, but, still a daily driver). It's not based on any VM leaks. It's a fully functional port. I have 4G, 3D camera, Wifi tether, bluetooth, video recording, camera. I haven't found anything really borked on it. Plus, I reverted back to my 2.3 GB ROM with no issues when I needed to get something from the data.

It has HTC Sense 3.6 as well and it's the best Sense I've used yet. Very smooth.

I've been to AT&T, and they suck. I'm not too crazy about Sprint, however, to be honest, out of the phone companies I have dealt with or have family who has dealt with, Sprint has been the least hassle, even though their network is slow and their updates, too. I use way too much data to be limited to 2 GB per month. Sc3ew that.

Have to agree. As much as we may not like it, they are one of the best carriers out right now imo.

Reactions: saboxerman

saboxerman

Jul 6, 2010
Duluth
Have to agree. As much as we may not like it, they are one of the best carriers out right now imo.

Dude, when I came back to them after leaving AT&T (because they refused to honor my unlimited data plan. LOOOONG story), Sprint seriously effed my bill.

After three months of hassle and few credits, all was straight and good. The 4G network has more holes than Swiss cheese, but, there is a method I'm going to try to increase reception (some sort of setting to change using QPST or actual line codes, can't remember where I saw it yesterday). But, aside from all of that, my phone is pretty boss and does what I need it to do and I don't have to worry about data usage, and boy, can I use some data!!!!!!!

I still want a cleaned up version of their release of the ICS ROM, though. Until then, I am content with what I have.

EDIT: BTW, if you look at AT&T's pricing and Verizon's, they are considerably more expensive than Sprint's. With Sprint, my phone alone was $92 a month including taxes and an insurance plan. The same thing at AT&T with a 2GB plan instead of unlimited was starting at $110 or $115, something like that. This was a few months ago, could have changed by now, seeing how they change their minds more than they do their underwear.

Last edited:
Reactions: t4d73

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not necessary. Guy's just trying to be helpful and no doubt the mods will move this one. Chill out about it.

From the mouth of David Owens, a VP for the wireless provider, "the eagerly-awaited Ice Cream Sandwich update for the HTC EVO 3D is set to arrive sometime in June."

True story....

Regardless, dude was trying to be helpful, and he was. Helped me. I've interested to hear the news and haven't seen it elsewhere. No one here has the time to read every single post in every single thread on every single forum. So, glad I caught it here as I've been waiting patiently.

Until then, I'm enjoying the Kingdom Boost ICS ROM has it has been fully functional with hardly any glitches. Android 4.0 + HTC Sense 3.6 = Win (in my book).

Thanks for the info. I haven't read it yet. Not sure if it's posted in the correct forum, however, I'm glad you did because I wouldn't have caught it otherwise.

Meh... I included a pre-emptory mea culpa both in the OP and after. I would, in complete sincerity, love to know where the *official* date estimate was posted before... I say that only because the interview quoted happened *yesterday*. Any dates before that were, according to the article, pure speculation.

Having said that, I concur that this is probably in the wrong place and again would say feel free to move it...