OK, What? [Cotulla Twitter]

Search This thread

Tachi91

Oct 15, 2008
Subartic - Americana
A831jx-CYAAhDEl.jpg:large

joellinn

Dec 23, 2009
Sounds like the HD2 delivered proof for what the people are saying about it. It just refuses to die. :D
UEFI MAGLDR - sounds amazing

Reactions: winner1

Tachi91

Oct 15, 2008
Subartic - Americana
It's more of a, Microsoft you lied!! Kind of thing.

WP8 from what we can see, has booted up and if its not a different kernel then all windows phone devices are capable of running the new os....

At any rate we must wait for more details instead of pictures to confirm any thing besides what we have seen.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007
Hello,

For now it's actually just a proof of concept.
I honestly dunno how far it can goes forward; a lot of problems appear and not sure will be it's possible to solve them.
And not only to solve them, but get an acceptable user experience :)

It was implied as "a crazy experiment" at the start up time :laugh:

For now it's implemented only few functionality like SD card, screen output, touch screen input.
All other things are not working. I won't add "YET" it can be very hard to get some things to work.
and DFT didn't yet decided about future developments in that direction.

they can be right also . . .I don't know yet.
But NT is much more heavy system than CE. remember that.

jackrabbit72380

Mar 10, 2011
Trenton
www.landsoftworks.host22.com
Hello,

I honestly dunno how far it can goes forward; a lot of problems appear and not sure will be it's possible to solve them.

For now it's implemented only few functionality like SD card, screen output, touch screen input.
All other things are not working. I won't add "YET" it can be very hard to get some things to work.

Sence Nt is much heavy system than CE I wonder if it will be possible or better to have large capacity sd card or if possibleto run this type of rom from sd rather than nand? not realy a question just my thoughts. niceto see some progress in this direction good luck with future crazy experiment. =)

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007
It's now running from SD card. NAND is not assumed to be supported by any way
(there is no native support for such storage medias inside NT, as well no goal to add such support - cuz NAND is too small for that purposes)
But SD cards are not really fast . . . unlike eMMC with 8bit bus inside native WP8 devices.
As well too often access to SD card may produce big power drain.

Last edited:

Tachi91

Oct 15, 2008
Subartic - Americana
Drivers I would assume is another issue since with a new kernel the old development drivers are non functional... So its like running a new ver of android on an old device. With some work you can get it too boot, but then things like camera, WiFi, etc won't work.

But it is nice even with all the issues to see that in fact WP8 can run on old hardware. If if all it does is pose for the cameras.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

Reactions: hoomanutd99

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
ouyah!
UEFI @ MAGLDR! :D

now if only there is a dual/ quad core out there that resembles the HD2 as the software is advancing while the HW is aging.

thanks for your enthusiasm Cotulla :highfive:

Reactions: hoomanutd99

vikingzou

Sep 3, 2010
California, USA
That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.

---Neil Armstrong, July 1969

Thanks, Cotulla and DFT team, hope you talented guys can solve all problems.
I have a 32g C10 SanDisk ready.:cowboy:

tfouto

Jun 12, 2007
(there is no native support for such storage medias inside NT, as well no goal to add such support - cuz NAND is too small for that purposes)
But SD cards are not really fast . . . unlike eMMC with 8bit bus inside native WP8 devices.

well there are class 10 5~10MB/S. It's not hyper fast, but hey not that slow...

UEFI MAGLDR is really amazing. Wow...

Any chance of Windows 8 RT on HD2? :D I am kidding

Nigeldg

Feb 25, 2011
well there are class 10 5~10MB/S. It's not hyper fast, but hey not that slow...

UEFI MAGLDR is really amazing. Wow...

Any chance of Windows 8 RT on HD2? :D I am kidding
Nah, counter-intuitively it's actually class 2 cards you want for running an OS from the SD card. Class 10 performs the worst in this case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

People are forgetting that Windows RT requires UEFI to even boot. If you noticed one or two of the screenshots you would see the UEFI MAGLDR which means that Cotulla/DFT have been able to emulate UEFI to get the image to even boot. So you would need a bootloader like MAGLDR to even do this and as I'm aware, most bootloaders these days are completely locked down now.
    Yes, it's very large work. We (DFT) started that project long time ago.

Do you think that will be posible run Metro apps on Windows 8 RT for HD2? Resolution of HD2 is very poor and without metro app Windows 8 RT is less interesant
    Not sure. Hacks in the internet doesn't work. Display interpolation also bad in image quality as well in performance.
    Yes, it helps a lot of, but usually only answers to basic questions. Complex and the most intersting ones are usually always kept answered :(
    So, for what I understood, this might be the reason why all previous devices - including the Lumia 900 - won't get the WP8 upgrade. It just can't be done...
    Yes, it can be. All that NT is much more heavy.

Actually I am looking only to LEO port - not enough resources for anothers.
    LEO has very well known environment for me as well tons of developed stuffs, it's a reson why it's possible.
    In case of another device it's clear start from zero. Too much work. Sorry :(