Perfume burned a hole through my screen cover

Search This thread

SolemnWishing

Feb 26, 2009
Oregon
Well, I was at the mall yesterday and my friends ambushed me with several bottles of perfume, many sprays of which hit my G1, specifically the screen which was covered with a protector. I wiped it off immediately of course. When I got home, there was a small hole near the center in the protector, and it looks like the whole screen protector is flaking apart. Ive already ordered a new one, but why would this happen?

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold
The only thing i can think of is the alcohol in her perfume found a weak spot in the protector?
Then it spread like cancer, i mean look at what alcohol does to a liver:p

imbonez9

May 18, 2009
La, Cali!!!
Well, I was at the mall yesterday and my friends ambushed me with several bottles of perfume, many sprays of which hit my G1, specifically the screen which was covered with a protector. I wiped it off immediately of course. When I got home, there was a small hole near the center in the protector, and it looks like the whole screen protector is flaking apart. Ive already ordered a new one, but why would this happen?

Bad perfume. Didn't you know that the G1 can sense one's you shouldn't buy? haha

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
The base of most spray-type scents/perfumes is an organic solvent. Typically alcohol (of the 'rubbing' variety) but possibly something synthetic. I probably don't have to explain what happens when organic solvent comes into contact with weak plastic.

is it bad that i actually need you to "have to explain what happens when organic solvent comes into contact with weak plastic"? other than it burns a hole, but more so why?