[Q] From gs4 to nexus 5...

Search This thread

BurningKoala

Jan 11, 2011
Hi, I'm currently using a gs4 with stock 4,4, I can't root because of knox (I don't want to lose warranty on a new phone) so I'm considering selling the gs4 for the n5...

-The touchscreen on the gs4 is really responsive and smooth, how is compared to the n5?
-I know that on the n5 the max volume isn't high but the quality? I use to listen podcast with the speaker at night so the volume is not a problem but I need a good quality sound, my gs4 is the i9505 so it hasn't the Wolfson DAC but the sound it's pretty good.
-Overheating?
-Are there any mods to increase gamma or contrast on the n5?

jonny421

May 3, 2014
Hi, I'm currently using a gs4 with stock 4,4, I can't root because of knox (I don't want to lose warranty on a new phone) so I'm considering selling the gs4 for the n5...

-The touchscreen on the gs4 is really responsive and smooth, how is compared to the n5?
-I know that on the n5 the max volume isn't high but the quality? I use to listen podcast with the speaker at night so the volume is not a problem but I need a good quality sound, my gs4 is the i9505 so it hasn't the Wolfson DAC but the sound it's pretty good.
-Overheating?

I have owned a n5 32gb since January and have always found the touchscreen very responsive and smooth, I don't know how it compares to the gs4 though as I have never used it. As with every phone ever the speakers are crap, but they would probably suffice for your needs. my n5 does have a habit of randomly burning a hole through my pocket from time to time, but the cpu rarely exceeds 50 centigrade. I have not looked for any mods to increase contrast or gamma but I cant see any need to do so. The only thing I would say that is a major problem with it is I am always running out of storage space due to the lack of expandable memory. But if your not planning on having much music stored on it you'll be fine and even if you do run out of space you can just use OTG.

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012

-Overheating?

-The touchscreen is on par or better than the gs4s I've tried
-quality is average but there are audio mods such as DSP manager and you can further enhance sound with kernels
-rarely overheats, only when the camera daemon bug occurs which is expected to be fixed with the 4.4.3 update
-most kernels for the nexus 5 have integrated colour controls that allow you to change rgb and gamma, most notably the Franco kernel

I say go for it, the developer community is amazing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Screen is responsive and accurate. I find the audio quality on par or better than average mobile devices, volume is plenty loud though the audio only comes out 1 side of the phone which isn't always ideal for listening purposes.

For a plastic phone it runs very cool actually, almost to a fault as thermal throttling will kick in very easily. Screen adjustments are available but require root access and some tinkering.

Last edited: