Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Last edited:
Reactions: kintwofan

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin
Re: Off-topic other device and upgrading phone discussion

I think it was a good discussion in the other thread.. Dont see the point in closing it and reopening another, but regardless here's my observation:
Build quality for some reason is a hot topic. People are ripping on samsung like they expected a non plastic body. I think the plastic design is great even if it does feel cheap. Scuff it up? Buy a new battery back. Easy. Scuff up aluminum you have to live with it.

Lots are asking if it's worth it to upgrade from the note 2 to the s4. Personally I don't see anything that would make me feel the need to upgrade. The only thing considerably better would be the screen. Yes you can say it will have a next generation 8 core blah blah but seriously, the note 2 and even s3 have never once lagged for me in anything real world. I fail to see how such a powerhouse of a processor is really any benefit.

Sent from my SCH-I605

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III

The point of this thread is any non note discussion. How many iphone threads do we have. For that matterhow many s4 threads are starting already. We had this in the s3 firm and it worked really nicely to cut down the iphone5 threads.

By the way I agree with everything you said about the s4. I'm good right here with my note

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: hopesrequiem

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin

It's going to take something substantial to make me want to upgrade from the note 2. Seems a lot of note 2 users feel the same. While I'm completely open to using an iPhone, I can't possibly imagine anything apple can produce in this year that would make me even consider the iPhone. HTC One is a very nice phone but when set against the note 2, what does one gain? The better screen at the cost of removable batteries and storage?

Saw someone post a comment somewhere telling people to drop the "removable battery" argument, saying they make charge packs so the argument is moot. It's so much more in my opinion... The battery is perhaps the one component other than physical buttons that will wear quickest. Why make it inaccessible? With removable batteries, in a year when the original battery doesn't hold the charge as well you can buy one for $30 where internal batteries, you're screwed.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Reactions: the_hustleman

art0605

Sep 15, 2010
Please discuss other devices in this thread other than the Note II
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Sorry about that.

Anyways, about the comparison of SIII to SIV and iPhone 4 to 4s - I don't think that's 100% true. Given the body and touchwiz are almost the same, which isn't a huge deal to me because I ALWAYS use a case. The hardware seems to be a significant bump. But what do I know? I am just a guy who likes the latest and (hopefully) greatest phones.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
People are ripping on samsung like they expected a non plastic body. I think the plastic design is great even if it does feel cheap. Scuff it up? Buy a new battery back. Easy. Scuff up aluminum you have to live with it.
This doesn't make any sense, you can replace a scuffed up metal battery door just as easy as a plastic door. Also metal doesn't scratch any easier than plastic.

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin

This doesn't make any sense, you can replace a scuffed up metal battery door just as easy as a plastic door. Also metal doesn't scratch any easier than plastic.

The htc one is a solid piece of aluminum with non removable battery and no battery door. In fact there hasn't been a phone that's been made of aluminum that has a removable battery door since maybe the blackberry storm.

Yes I know they both scratch the same, but you can easily replace any plastic component in the samsung phones where the competition, you can't.

Sent from my SCH-I605

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
The htc one is a solid piece of aluminum with non removable battery and no battery door. In fact there hasn't been a phone that's been made of aluminum that has a removable battery door since maybe the blackberry storm.

Yes I know they both scratch the same, but you can easily replace any plastic component in the samsung phones where the competition, you can't.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Thats the design though, not material. My Droid X had a removable metal battery door (also the best finish EVER!) I think samsung makes the best phones right now (as long as they can get a good signal, sgs3) and I wouldn't trade my Note 2 for any other device, but I hate the chrome plated plastic that chips easily, and the plastic battery door that pops off.

leroybrute

Jan 1, 2012
spud state

Sent from my SCH-I605

Why are you guys comparing HTC one to any Verizon android phone? Verizon is not getting the HTC one.
Aluminium vs plastic vs metal is silly also for many reasons. I have yet to see a metal battery door that covered the whole back, and if there is how would it stay on. I feel the flexibility and strength in the S3 and Note 2 battery doors is ideal for the bigger smart phones. I could never keep my battery covers on my droid x or x2's. And the metal and aluminum most definitely scratch easier and more than plastic phones.
I also feel with all the antenna's and placement the signal strength and GPS strength will be better surrounded by plastic.

Last edited:

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin

Why are you guys comparing HTC one to any Verizon android phone? Verizon is not getting the HTC one.
Aluminium vs plastic vs metal is silly also for many reasons. I have yet to see a metal battery door that covered the whole back, and if there is how would it stay on. I feel the flexibility and strength in the S3 and Note 2 battery doors is ideal for the bigger smart phones. I could never keep my battery covers on my droid x or x2's. And the metal and aluminum most definitely scratch easier and more than plastic phones.
I also feel with all the antenna's and placement the signal strength and GPS strength will be better surrounded by plastic.

It was literally just confirmed on twitter like a few hours ago that verizon wasn't getting the One. And I was speaking in general as the build quality argument seems to be the main negative argument against samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I605

leroybrute

Jan 1, 2012
spud state
It was literally just confirmed on twitter like a few hours ago that verizon wasn't getting the One. And I was speaking in general as the build quality argument seems to be the main negative argument against samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I605

I saw the HTC one post last night. Either way couldn't picture it going to VZW with the dlx+ coming.
People that are complaining about the build quality doesn't realize if they want Samsung to build an aluminium bodied smartphone they would have to give up micro sdcard and removable battery.
How is the build quality of the S4? Who ever says the build quality of the S3 is poor must have tortured it. Several S3's and Note 2's passed through our family and friends, and have yet seen build quality issues.
I'm sorry I don't see it. I am opened minded about reasons for thinking aluminum is better than plastic, but its not. In the last 5 to 8 years in the newer cars, the piston rods and in some cases part of the pistons and blocks are made of plastic. Dissipate heat, static, and corrosion better. Keeping the same tensile strength of aluminum and steel at a lower cost.
I see the one's use of an aluminum body as a gimmick or selling point only. I also see aluminum causing more of an internal jar when dropped compared to plastic.

Last edited:

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin

I saw the HTC one post last night. Either way couldn't picture it going to VZW with the dlx+ coming.
People that are complaining about the build quality doesn't realize if they want Samsung to build an aluminium bodied smartphone they would have to give up micro sdcard and removable battery.
How is the build quality of the S4? Who ever says the build quality of the S3 is poor must have tortured it. Several S3's and Note 2's passed through our family and friends, and have yet seen build quality issues.
I'm sorry I don't see it. I am opened minded about reasons for thinking aluminum is better than plastic, but its not. In the last 5 to 8 years in the newer cars, the piston rods and in some cases part of the pistons and blocks are made of plastic. Dissipate heat, static, and corrosion better. Keeping the same tensile strength of aluminum and steel at a lower cost.
I see the one's use of an aluminum body as a gimmick or selling point only. I also see aluminum causing more of an internal jar when dropped compared to plastic.

I completely agree. Basically what I was trying to say. No way in hell I'm giving up use of my 64 gig card either.

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida

I completely agree. Basically what I was trying to say. No way in hell I'm giving up use of my 64 gig card either.

Why would using a different material mean that it wouldn't have an microSD card or removable battery? All my metal phones had microSD cards, and most had removable batteries. I don't even care about a removable battery if it's 3000+ mah and an efficient chip, but I also need a microSD slot but having a phone made of metal has nothing to do with having one or not.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

I never had a problem with my Droid X battery cover, but my Note 2 cover pops off easily. I also only had one minor scratch from a major drop on my Droid X, but I had many minor scratches on my Note 2 within 2 weeks without being dropped at all.

DroidBabe

Mar 1, 2011

What does everyone think about the Iphone 5?

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
wow, really thought verizon might have finally gotten their head out of the arse and gotten back to the same htc phone as everyone else. Glad I got the Note 2, but do prefer htc's build design over samsung, but samsung is winning with features (bigger removeable batteries, sd cards, spen).

Just ordered 2 extra batteries and docks with chargers from samsung. I could go the portable battery pack route, but why? This way, just swap batteries and keep going (1 is for the wife). I make it through 90% of my days on the one battery, but find myself wanting to charge for an hour usually in the middle of my shift. This way I can just swap if battery gets too low. Don't see replacing this phone for a while so batteries will get used (and had 50% off coupon).

Reactions: universexda

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
I have a feeling Verizon will have a One with a big ol' Droid logo and black/red paint job, treating it as an entirely new phone. And because of this, Verizon and HTC are trying to say there "won't" be a Verizon variant.

I mean just think about it. If you saw a simple HTC One commercial / display vs. a flashy, animated Verizon HTC Droid *pseudo-One-insertepicnamehere* commercial, which would you rather choose?

Last edited:

krazzykiller

Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock alabama
galaxy exhibit 2.

Ok so I went to a T mobile store and got my little girl a galaxy exhibit 2.
I set it up on there unlimited 4g prepaid plan.

The girl at the store wanted to set it up for me. But I was like no I'll do
That later after I find a flash a rom on it lol.

I hit xda and found twrp for it and then I found a nice rom to put on it

It's an ok phone nothing special but not bad at all.great for an 11 year old.

I hade t mobile before and it didn't work almost anywhere. I hade the same
Set up with them that I have on verizon now. 3 phones and a mobile hor spot.

Ok now the service on this exhibit was pretty good. It works in the house. I wasn't
Sure if it was the phone or if the service had gotten better so I wanted to test and see what's up.

I did something that's questionable legally. To my gn2 and for testing purposes I
Was able to use my gn2 on the exhibits sim and number. Conforming
That T mobile service isn't any better but rather the little exhibit 2 has better
Radios then my gn2. It gets h+ and 3g in the house while my note onlly gets edge and if I
Put the note in the window I could get h and I could get 3g in places. But that exhibit 2 gets 3g through the whole house.

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH
If I were to go back and choose again (between the note 2 and the htc one) Id still pick the note 2. Even though Im pretty partial to htc, I couldnt go without a removable battery and sd card. I cant tell you how many times pulling my battery because I was stuck in a bootloop saved my ass.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With Samsung out, what device maker are you going to continue to work on? Do you have a favorite?
    Thanks
    Newkia? Oppo? Omate? Sony? There are a ton of awesome manufacturers out there. I admire Samsung's build quality but that's all. They've always been a crappy manufacturer.
    Sorry to tell you but AdamOutler does exynos processors not Qualcomm. The Note 3 bootloader will not be unlocked. Expect Hashcode to eventually implement a safestrap/kexec method that will allow custom ROM's and kernels. Although, it's taken 4 months for the S4 for safestrap to start to get underway and kexec hasn't even been started. I'd say by the same time table it'll be February when you'll be able to load a custom ROM. Who knows for kernels.

Yeah, I heard that Adam guy talking mad trash about Samsung as well. It seems that he really doesn't like them much.
    iphone 5s event going on right now! who's switching???

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    I would like to state that I disagree entirely with moderators directing T-Mobile related questions on a Verizon Note 2 to this thread.

I think that's entirely inefficient, discouraging, poorly planned and misguided. A good moderator doesn't make decisions like that.

I don't understand why a user's thread was closed and his concerns sent to this thread when he is still using a Verizon Note 2, he is just using it with T-Mobile.

Single threads for discussion of various topics defeats the ENTIRE purpose of having a message forum to begin with.

The point of this thread is any non note discussion. How many iphone threads do we have. For that matterhow many s4 threads are starting already. We had this in the s3 firm and it worked really nicely to cut down the iphone5 threads.

By the way I agree with everything you said about the s4. I'm good right here with my note