Votes: 448 57.6%
  • GPE

Votes: 187 24.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

PunishedSnake

Apr 12, 2014
Fresno
sounds amazing. which rom and kernel do you use. and how long is the smartphone on with this SOT. more than 24 hours?!

I always charge at night so after 14hrs and 6hr sot I'm at 19% or so

Also depends which office I'm at if I'm at a satellite office with supreme signal strength I can achieve great times if I'm home office where signal sucks it drains faster

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

rodelisdeman

Jan 8, 2011
Since I've been using a GPE rom I can't go back to sense. It's just so smooth and it's almost bloathless and with GEL Xposed settings there is even more customized possible then with any Sense Rom. As far as battery life, I have had not issues with it and it is comparable to sense battery life and I even noticed a slight battery life increase going to 4.4.3 so all is good!

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
MY rom journey,

From Stock Sense to Viper 1.60 to AR HD 7...Still felt likes somethings missing. I wanted more of light rom, less bloat, less of what I don't use.

And so I went for SD GPE 2.0.3....Had this rom running one day, simply phenomenal, amazing battery life, smooth, improved gaming (Spider Man 2 runs more smoothly) and I like the google launcher and simplicity.

I do miss HK mod/Boom Sound, but overall I wanted performance and that's what I'm getting.

GPE for me.

SouthernEvo

Aug 6, 2010
Jacksonville FL
Sense 6 here , I have always like AOSP and have always had some type of AOSP rom or AOSP theme . With the HTC One M8 it was my return to Sense and to be honest from the days of the Evo 4G things have changed and I like the changes . I have tried AOSP roms and have come back to Sense each time . What I find really funny is Touchwiz I couldnt wait to get rid of . Sense brings me back .

21cdb

Nov 7, 2011
I use AOSP, more specifically Liquidsmooth. The main reason is that it's extremely smooth, especially running ART. And all the customizations are built into the ROM, so I don't need to go back to Dalvik to run Xposed. About the only thing I've noticed that's broken is the speakerphone mic, everything else works great for me.

HtcOneJon

Dec 5, 2013
Sense for me.

Too many compromises on AOSP. AOSP Camera app is awful, google launcher is awful. I'm sure some people like the boring vanilla look but not me.

I've tried GPE, AOSP and Sense and cannot see any difference in battery life, but sense 6 performance is a little better, so went with Viper as no other ROM will give me all the tweaks I need.

Ideas4ya

Aug 10, 2012
OnePlus Open
FYI guys...there's a new AOSP kernel out called The Furnace!! It will allow anyone on a AOSP rom to overclock their device from 2.2Ghz to 2.88Ghz. Battery comparison should be completed within the next couple of days; too early to tell right now.

For those that want to check it out...enjoy!! I'm an AOSP fanatic so I'm running AOSB Project with Furnace kernel and I'm flying!!

Ideas4ya

Aug 10, 2012
OnePlus Open
Thats the best part of AOSP...you don't have to OC. But just to know that the developers have come up with a way to do this is awesome. I'm excited to see the progress of AOSP. Some people want to get every last ounce of performance out of their phones. Some people like to push the device to it's limits (after all, we did spend a pretty penny on these, why not). Most people don't buy a Mustang to drive it 30mph.

But you don't have to. If you wanted, you could download an AOSP rom and customize it to look just like stock, you don't have to utilize all the features. I'd just rather have a rom that is always being tweaked, and always has the newest exclusive features. To me, that's what makes AOSP (or AOSB in my case) different from GPe or Sense, the rules and parameters are tossed out the window and the OS is rewritten.

AOSP Exclusive Features: Circle Bar, Profiles, Halo, Multiwindow (minus Samsung devices), Hover and Pie with 2nd level. Man, what would I do without these custom features. Yes you can get a few of these if you DL an app or two...but why do that when it could be baked right into the operating system and run even smoother with less battery consumption?

Rock on AOSP, AOKP, PA, Liquid, AOSB, Carbon, AICP, and all the other different flavors of Android!! Rock on!! Lead the way...Google will catch up once you perfect it...they always do!

Reactions: Maestertk

nO.One2

Mar 20, 2011
now i think sense roms are better, because they got really nice features, like the hk sound.
if e.g. cm11 will get hk sound, and all other nice stuff, like on stock, its a good alternative to use the light aosp roms.

MistaBishi

Oct 21, 2011
Devonport
I agree that Sense does some things better, but when the GPe version gets the next version of Android and Sense is still on 4.4, I reckon there will be a few people changing their minds...

Radixtrator

Jan 30, 2013
I agree that Sense does some things better, but when the GPe version gets the next version of Android and Sense is still on 4.4, I reckon there will be a few people changing their minds...

This. If the new version should actually not bring anything useful,which I doubt, I will go back to sense. If its awesome though, a lot of people will switch to GPE

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just bought my One M8 (gunmetal) the other day and immediately converted it to a GPE when I brought it home. I was actually going to buy the GPE from the Play Store, but I wanted the gunmetal variant (GPE is only available in silver). I was delighted to discover that the GSM version could be converted to a GPE. So while I cannot compare my M8 running GPE RUU to Sense (I really didn't even use Sense except to turn on USB debugging), I can compare it to my Nexus 5 running the Android L Preview.

I have to say unequivocally that the One M8 hardware combined with stock Android is a match made in heaven for me. I've been using the Nexus 5 for a while, and though I love the phone and stock experience, the battery life was pretty bad. Installing the L Preview was fun and I've been running it as a daily driver since it came out. I'm still using it on wifi, so I'm able to directly compare my M8 to it.

Here are my impressions of the GPE 4.4.4 converted M8 compared to my Nexus 5 running Android L Preview:

- With my M8 on Dalvik, there is a bit of stuttering in apps. The notification pane is smooth, as is the app drawer and launcher (using Nova). But when using apps (particularly Facebook, Google+ and even the XDA forums app), there is stuttering when scrolling up and down. It's more than just the universal stutter you get when things are loading in from the network. It seems like either the CPU is underclocking or perhaps the stuttering you get without Trim optimization. It's not worse than I've seen on other phones, but the Nexus 5 running the L Preview is buttery smooth (perhaps the smoothest experience I've seen on Android).

- I switched my M8 to ART and it got much smoother, pretty much on par with the Nexus. Didn't think it would make much difference, but it certainly did... though now I miss my Xposed modules (sure hope the devs will be able to port it to ART). So now I have to choose between a slightly lagging device running Dalvik with more customizations via Xposed OR getting a smoother experience on ART while losing my customizations.

- I have not experienced any issues with the camera other than a bit of finicky focusing at times. But I've been used to using the Google Camera interface on my Nexus, so I feel right at home. I have to say that the M8 camera is definitely better in low light. Of course, there's not as much detail when cropping or zooming in because of the lower resolution, but quite good for sharing on the web or for small prints (I still remember my Nikon Coolpix 950 that was 2 megapixels and quite popular back in the day). The front-facing camera on the M8 is spectacular relative to the Nexus' poor selfie camera. I am getting a small bug in the Google Camera interface on the M8: if I choose the 4:3 ratio at highest resolution for the back camera, the viewfinder is not masked properly (doesn't show the right ratio and the photos taken in this mode are framed differently than I shot them).

- Battery life on the M8 running GPE is phenomenal compared to my Nexus! My typical usage is to take my 100% charged phone to work and use it for playing podcasts at 1.5x speed for about half of my shift. I also use my phone for hotspot for about 30-40 minutes along with some screen on time during breaks. There's no wifi at work, so the phone is on the cellular network the entire time with pretty poor signal inside the building. After my 8-hr shift, I'm typically at 30-40% with my Nexus and with the M8, I'm leaving work with appx 70% battery. Both phones are configured to use High accuracy location reporting and I use Google Now quite extensively.

In summary, I am quite pleased with the GPE M8 conversion. I was a little annoyed by the minor stuttering, and I'm still debating whether to stick with ART or go back to Dalvik for my mods. I suppose it'll be a moot point once Android L comes out because I'll have no choice but to be on ART... and hopefully by then, Xposed will be updated.
    Which is your preference and why? I like sense 6 a lot but ventured out yesterday to AOSP and its really nice but its something about sense 6 that has me wanting to go back. I am going to test out GPE rom and see how I like it.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk
    What is the difference between GPE and an aosp ROM like slim kat?

you can read it everywhere dude -.-
    the GPE Version is the stock Android with some Framework and apps from HTC/Samsung. it doesnt has all things like sense or touchwiz has. but they are always getting updates faster then sense or touchwiz Rom
    After using stock android for 3 years on my Galaxy Nexus and then Nexus 5, I actually liked Sense more after getting an HTC One M8. It just feels much more polished and user friendly. At the moment I prefer Sense, but once Android L gets released ill definitely switch to GPE and try it out. From the pictures and videos I've seen, I think ill like stock Android L more than Sense.
    So.. U can install the sense camera from store?? And gallery for all the edit stuff? If yes, I'm a gpe convert..lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes, you can. I installed the HTC Camera, HTC Gallery, and HTC Video Viewer. You can install all of the HTC apps.

Other manufacturers need to do this! I always wanted the Nexus 6, but it was way too pricey for off contract, and I actually like some of the manufaturers built in apps (SOME! VERY FEW LOL), and the build quality and aesthetics of the HTC One M8 is unrivaled for an Android device. So now I have me a Nexus 6 with the beauty of HTC and some of HTC's apps. Its a win-win!