New Xperia X10 User - Thoughts and Help Required Please.

Search This thread

jay_nation

Apr 18, 2010
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and hope you are all well? I have scoured the forum here and have found it very useful indeed...please read my post any help is welcomed and appreciated as a newbie to the 'Droid'!

Well well what can I say about the Xperia X10, of which I have had the pleasure of using for around a week with Orange.

My initial thoughts about this device is that I am impressed as I have never used a 'Android' type mobile before.

I think that the phone is very well designed and feels great to use, especially when compared to my last mobile 'LG Viewty'.

The weight, style, colour (Black) layout and quality are in great balance and I believe Sony have done quite well here.

HOWEVER....I do have a couple of 'constructive' criticisms to add.

It seems that the consensus point towards a number of issues which I too am encountering.

1. For the main the battery life is awful and although not a problem requires charge every day at least. I do however understand that the mobile is running many things. I.e. large processor.

2. The text issue is my main bug bear here, I have a lot of trouble with pressing wrong keys, sending texts before I am ready as the delete button is next to a return key which on most occasions sends the text early! I find the 'qwerty' keypad very difficult to use indeed and cannot understand why there is not a 'telephone T9' style input option on such an advanced mobile??? I have downloaded the 'Handcent SMS' which improves the look and ease of test with the 'Ipod' style conversation. However now i have two icons in the top bar advising of a new text argh!

Is there a bigger keyboard or T9 predictive text program I can install? I also would like to use 'Swype' which looks impressive although only at the BETA stage, I have downloaded the '5612.Droid.apk' file but don't know how to install this please help! Texting takes so long now!

3. Timescape I find 'rinses' the mobiles CPU and lags heavily so I have unfortunately had to revert to the 'normal' home screen which is unbelievably fast so no prob there.

4. Facebook updates - I keep receiving an icon (top left white arrow with red exclamation mark) advising that could not update notifications as cant connect to internet???

5. In cal volume is a little poor, maybe ill use cotton buds!

So the help I need is clear any thoughts would be more than welcome...

Despite my problems I am more than happy with this amazing device and look forward to update 2.1 and exploring its possibilities.

JP

acd1972

Feb 2, 2008
Hi there,

You can deselect notifications in the "normal" messages settings if you are using Handcent for your texting. That way you will only receive notifications from Handcent in your notification bar.

If you want to install an app like swype which is not available from the market yet you need to use an app installer and also allow "Unknown sources" in settings/applications. Im using an app from the market called "Apps Installer" to do just that, but im running a rooted magic. I dont know if you can do it on the x10 which isnt rooted yet.

hope this was helpful to you

afhstingray

Jan 20, 2005
I use the astro file explorer- it does installs also. works on my x10 no rooting.

Sent from my X10i using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

im_iceman

Apr 7, 2010
Alsager
Hi, I'm using the SlideIT keyboard, which feels very weird at

First but soon got used to it and typing is so much quicker now.!!!

It's available on the app market. Sent from my X10i using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk