[Q] Trying to root Motorola XT910, noob questions

Search This thread

fuzzychicken

Feb 20, 2014
Hello folks,

I am a noob in playing around with Android, although I am a long time lurker here, never dared to post anything, just because I don't know even basics.

That said, my XT910 was driving me nuts and many a times I considered throwing it in trash, but having paid ~$400 hard cash, I did not. Lately, it crawled, rebooted randomly, hanging all of a sudden in the middle of the call was pretty commonplace. Factory reset did not help. The wi-fi connectivity issue has been there since day one. Where my another HTC One X connects like breeze and downloads whatever needed, XT910 still looks for any wi-fi connections.

I decided to root, hoping to tweak the device so that I can use it for at least another year or so. I followed the thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257137 Very good thread, pretty easy to understand. I did encounter few issues and thats where this post comes in.

While this post shows screenshots for remote storage, I never got this option, but I added it in. I never got an option to enter the details of the location i.e. image 4 and 5 of the post. Still everything seemed to work as expected.

Majority of the on-screen prompts went as expected, they were not same. Considering this post, image 2, there is a good difference in what I saw and what the screenshot mentioned. My screenshot attached below.

So the questions I have, whats in the red boxes.
The first big red box is not in the original screenshot, but I got it.
The last line of USB disconnect, I never got, neither my phone vibrated in the whole process as mentioned in big red box.
Since I am noob, I can not decipher this, and with posts less than 10, I can not post in that thread. I will be really thankful if someone expert can flash some light on this.

Is my phone really rooted now?
(P.S. - Don't ask me for phone screenshots, they never work on my phone, with power and volume down button pressed together.)

Thanks a lot in advance.

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
Hello folks,

I am a noob in playing around with Android, although I am a long time lurker here, never dared to post anything, just because I don't know even basics.

That said, my XT910 was driving me nuts and many a times I considered throwing it in trash, but having paid ~$400 hard cash, I did not. Lately, it crawled, rebooted randomly, hanging all of a sudden in the middle of the call was pretty commonplace. Factory reset did not help. The wi-fi connectivity issue has been there since day one. Where my another HTC One X connects like breeze and downloads whatever needed, XT910 still looks for any wi-fi connections.

I decided to root, hoping to tweak the device so that I can use it for at least another year or so. I followed the thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257137 Very good thread, pretty easy to understand. I did encounter few issues and thats where this post comes in.

While this post shows screenshots for remote storage, I never got this option, but I added it in. I never got an option to enter the details of the location i.e. image 4 and 5 of the post. Still everything seemed to work as expected.

Majority of the on-screen prompts went as expected, they were not same. Considering this post, image 2, there is a good difference in what I saw and what the screenshot mentioned. My screenshot attached below.

So the questions I have, whats in the red boxes.
The first big red box is not in the original screenshot, but I got it.
The last line of USB disconnect, I never got, neither my phone vibrated in the whole process as mentioned in big red box.
Since I am noob, I can not decipher this, and with posts less than 10, I can not post in that thread. I will be really thankful if someone expert can flash some light on this.

Is my phone really rooted now?
(P.S. - Don't ask me for phone screenshots, they never work on my phone, with power and volume down button pressed together.)

Thanks a lot in advance.

The large red box and the previous content are perfectly fine. There isn't no problem there. The exploits ran fine and the files were pushed to your device. Sometimes the phone doesn't vibrate and in that case my other phone didn't when the tool said it would. But it was rooted.

As you said your phone didn't vibrate but it did reboot right? I assume it did because you didn't mention it not being rebooted.

How do you know if your phones rooted? Go into your app drawer, and if you find an app called. "Superuser or SuperSU" its rooted. But just to be sure its working. Go to the play store, and install and app called "root checker" the icon has a hashtag in it from what I remember.

Run the app and check root. If it prompts you with a window saying vie permission. Grant the permission. And that's means you're rooted. Hopefully I helped. If I didn't answer your question properly please state.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

fuzzychicken

Feb 20, 2014
The large red box and the previous content are perfectly fine. There isn't no problem there. The exploits ran fine and the files were pushed to your device. Sometimes the phone doesn't vibrate and in that case my other phone didn't when the tool said it would. But it was rooted.

As you said your phone didn't vibrate but it did reboot right? I assume it did because you didn't mention it not being rebooted.

How do you know if your phones rooted? Go into your app drawer, and if you find an app called. "Superuser or SuperSU" its rooted. But just to be sure its working. Go to the play store, and install and app called "root checker" the icon has a hashtag in it from what I remember.

Run the app and check root. If it prompts you with a window saying vie permission. Grant the permission. And that's means you're rooted. Hopefully I helped. If I didn't answer your question properly please state.

Thanks

Thank you for your quick answer.

Little clarification,
The phone did not vibrate, but the prompt said, to hit any key on laptop to proceed. So I hit the key after waiting for about 2 minutes. And then it rebooted.

There is no Superuser app in app drawer and root checker tells me it is not rooted.

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
Thank you for your quick answer.

Little clarification,
The phone did not vibrate, but the prompt said, to hit any key on laptop to proceed. So I hit the key after waiting for about 2 minutes. And then it rebooted.

There is no Superuser app in app drawer and root checker tells me it is not rooted.

Then assuming the phone is not rooted. Did your phone boot into bootloader mode when this process took place?