2 Amp USB Wall Charger for faster charging

Search This thread

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
UPDATE: I've tested and verified that a 2amp charger isn't any faster than 1amp.

The charger that comes with the S3 outputs 1.0 amp (5V), and my old Galaxy S1 Captivate came with a 0.7amp charger. Both are better than the measily 0.5amps that most computer USB ports output, which is barely enough juice for the phone to break even (let alone charge) when you're using your phone with the display brightness at 100%. Obviously the fastest way to charge is with the phone off, or a spare battery, but most of us don't do that.

How many of you are using an aftermarket 2amp usb wall charger without issue, and have you measured how much faster it charges? Also, will this faster charging reduce the S3's battery life, or is it within tolerances and Samsung just cheaped out on the included A/C charger?

As long as it's safe, I'm thinking about buying one of these $10 2amp chargers off amazon...
412KnTQfwBL._SS400_.jpg

UPDATE: I read elsewhere that a 2amp charger can't really hurt your phone because there's obviously "smart" circuitry inside that limits the current anyway. If it really is smart, then the upside to 2amps SHOULD BE that when you're charging with the screen on @ 100% brightness, that more juice goes to the battery with the "extra" going to the display, instead of subtracting from what the battery gets.

Short answer: the two amp charger won't hurt the phone, plus it also is highly unlikely it will charge any faster on this particular phone.

The preceding discussion applies to "dumb" chargers and batteries (which ShannonPricePhoto pointed to a few posts ago). Increasing the charge voltage causes the battery to draw more current depending on the state of charge. The trick is we have both a smart charger and a smart battery in his phone. Lithium-ion batteries actually contain circuitry to prevent them from being overcharged inside the battery.
The cell phone industry has agreed on a worldwide standard cell phone charger as follows: it uses a micro USB connector (not a mini USB) they all charge at 5 V, the smart controller for charging the battery is inside the phone, and it determines how much voltage the battery receives during the charging cycle. (Not the charger, like a dumb charger used to charge a car battery, which changes its output voltage)

The standard allows for charger supplies ranging from 300 milliamps to 1 amp, and the phone can actually inquire what the capacity of the charger is through the USB data line.

Reading the standard makes me wonder if using the larger charger would allow the phone to take advantage of the full 2 amp capacity of the charger. One post indicated that older devices that were not covered by the cell phone standard may likely have charged quicker with a two amp charger, but I seriously doubt your phone will because it wasn't designed to do so. This however is an educated guess. One way to really find out is get two chargers and compare by measuring the actual current?

For even more reading
The first website discusses the standard mobile phone charger, the second discusses batteries.
Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
battery myths vs battery facts - free information to help you learn the difference

I'll update again later with BATTERY STATS when I get my charger...

Last edited:
Reactions: MatangaChanga

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
I'm using Andru... it's an Android Shaped USB Charger at 2.0amps... thanks for reminding me because I need to get an extra one...

Edit:

Input: 0.2A
Output: 1.0A

Last edited:
Reactions: zmore

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
Well, I can't say for sure for the retail version. I am a Journalist & Product Reviewer at ACS, (ACSyndicate) so I got a beta product to test and review...

Q: Am I crazy for going on the S3 Forums all the time, and planning for my upgrade in June??? :eek:

Attn Mods: :cool:I'm not spamming, just making a point... *Just for those snippy mods, if they exist... *

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
42577440-2c3c-aded.jpg

Guess I'm stupid... mine is 0.2amps... Well, Time for me to upgrade my charger, all though Andru is cute! LOL :p

I feel stupid now... It doesn't charge slowly though...

Edit: :banghead: WTF? I'm stupid! I read the input... the output is 1.0A... sorry guys... realllly tired.

Last edited:

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
Just realized that and modified my previous post.. I've been up since 4AM EST yesterday morning and it's 12:44 EST the next day... :what: I'm stupidly tired... lol :rolleyes:

rupa

Aug 3, 2006

Amon37

May 10, 2011
I've read that the phone will draw 1.0A of power to charge regardless if the charger outputs more than 1.0A

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

sfin54

Jun 20, 2011
West Palm Beach
I just purchased the 2A wall charger from Monoprice ($8). It has a total of 4 usb ports, with one being 2A.

So far, I can say that the 2A port does seem to charge faster than the stock charger.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you run siyah kernal there is an option in tweaks to adjust the max charge the phone will accept both for wall charger and usb. If I remember correctly it's about 1.2A max for mains and .750 for usb
    UPDATE: I've tested and verified that a 2amp charger isn't any faster than 1amp.

The charger that comes with the S3 outputs 1.0 amp (5V), and my old Galaxy S1 Captivate came with a 0.7amp charger. Both are better than the measily 0.5amps that most computer USB ports output, which is barely enough juice for the phone to break even (let alone charge) when you're using your phone with the display brightness at 100%. Obviously the fastest way to charge is with the phone off, or a spare battery, but most of us don't do that.

How many of you are using an aftermarket 2amp usb wall charger without issue, and have you measured how much faster it charges? Also, will this faster charging reduce the S3's battery life, or is it within tolerances and Samsung just cheaped out on the included A/C charger?

As long as it's safe, I'm thinking about buying one of these $10 2amp chargers off amazon...
    412KnTQfwBL._SS400_.jpg

UPDATE: I read elsewhere that a 2amp charger can't really hurt your phone because there's obviously "smart" circuitry inside that limits the current anyway. If it really is smart, then the upside to 2amps SHOULD BE that when you're charging with the screen on @ 100% brightness, that more juice goes to the battery with the "extra" going to the display, instead of subtracting from what the battery gets.

Short answer: the two amp charger won't hurt the phone, plus it also is highly unlikely it will charge any faster on this particular phone.

The preceding discussion applies to "dumb" chargers and batteries (which ShannonPricePhoto pointed to a few posts ago). Increasing the charge voltage causes the battery to draw more current depending on the state of charge. The trick is we have both a smart charger and a smart battery in his phone. Lithium-ion batteries actually contain circuitry to prevent them from being overcharged inside the battery.
    The cell phone industry has agreed on a worldwide standard cell phone charger as follows: it uses a micro USB connector (not a mini USB) they all charge at 5 V, the smart controller for charging the battery is inside the phone, and it determines how much voltage the battery receives during the charging cycle. (Not the charger, like a dumb charger used to charge a car battery, which changes its output voltage)

The standard allows for charger supplies ranging from 300 milliamps to 1 amp, and the phone can actually inquire what the capacity of the charger is through the USB data line.

Reading the standard makes me wonder if using the larger charger would allow the phone to take advantage of the full 2 amp capacity of the charger. One post indicated that older devices that were not covered by the cell phone standard may likely have charged quicker with a two amp charger, but I seriously doubt your phone will because it wasn't designed to do so. This however is an educated guess. One way to really find out is get two chargers and compare by measuring the actual current?

For even more reading
    The first website discusses the standard mobile phone charger, the second discusses batteries.
    Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    battery myths vs battery facts - free information to help you learn the difference

I'll update again later with BATTERY STATS when I get my charger...
    I'm using Andru... it's an Android Shaped USB Charger at 2.0amps... thanks for reminding me because I need to get an extra one...

Edit:

Input: 0.2A
    Output: 1.0A
    Yours is 1amp. The .2 amps you're looking at is the power input. It's power output is 1 amp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    This really isn't a thread about phone charging. This is just simple physics.

Amperage delivered by your charger is a pool. A 1A charger has 1 amp of available power to deliver. You can hook up 5 200mA devices to it, 2 500mA devices, or 1 1A device. If you hook up a 1A device to a power supply that delivers OVER 9000(A)!!! you won't charge any faster and you won't hurt your device. All you need to do is match voltage and make sure your charger provides at least as much amperage as the device will draw.

A 2A charger will NOT charge a device drawing 1A of power any faster than a 1A charger. However, there are quality differences in products and your 1A charger might not be providing the full 1A of power, so the 2A charger would in fact charge your device faster. Also remember that the quality/age of the device, cable, and charger all come into play, as well as whether or not your device is in use during charging.