Cleaning speaker/mic holes?

Search This thread

setspeed

May 4, 2009
I have dust and gunk accumulating in these holes. The holes are so tiny that the only thing I can fit in there is a pin, but I'm afraid of damaging the speaker/mic by jamming a pin in there. Ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
I dont know the proper name of that thing on the picture, but it contains compressed air. You can try to blow out the dust with that thing.

uvy8esyj.jpg

kealke

Mar 21, 2009
That will blow the dust in, not out. The only way to really get it out is by removing the cover and blowing from the inside out. Who knows where the dust might end up if you blow it further in the phone...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

setspeed

May 4, 2009
Would it be a bad idea to soak the very bottom (5mm) of the phone in isopropyl alcohol - perhaps that might dissolve or loosen the gunk without damaging anything inside?

kealke

Mar 21, 2009
If you don't want to remove the cover you could use a vacuum cleaner. Hold the phone close to the hose and brush with a toothbrush or a paintbrush.

setspeed

May 4, 2009
Yeah, vacuum cleaner sounds like a good idea. I'm not opening this phone up and voiding my warranty.

kealke

Mar 21, 2009
Oh man, i somehow forgot about cyberclean. Thanks for reminding me!

tkoreaper

Jan 13, 2011
Keep in mind there are dust filters behind the holes on the inside so you shouldn't need fear about it really going anywhere.

Top Liked Posts