*Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 8/14/2010

Search This thread

kingofyo1

Apr 6, 2009
gulfport, ms
then battery pull and try again
sometimes it takes multiple times to work correct. took me 20 times till i finally got it now it works every time

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
Whew man, just last night it didn't look like this was happening yet! Thank you so much Eugene and everyone else involved, I will be rooting this first chance I get! It's gonna take me a little tinkering because I've never used ADB(only ever rooted the G1, which had the method where all you needed was the phone and an SD card, no special software). I hope I can get it figured out, the instructions sure look easy enough. Soon we will have our ROM fix! THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH TO EVERYONE INVOLVED!

Jerzeeloon

Feb 15, 2009
so if i get the red triangle and have to baterry pull can i leave cmd loop running or start over?

brokensanity

Jun 2, 2010
Boston
brokensanity.com
Things to bare in mind for some of the people having a hard time getting your device to come up. Make sure to go into Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB Debugging. It can cause a headache if it isn't turned on. Most of us assume that if you've gotten this far, you've already thought of this... then I thought, "wait a second... did I turn on debugging...?"

Yeah, so... I feel sheepish.

I have the nexus one version of wireless tether working on my slide now. Yeah, I may have been a bit overoptimistic when i said "working". It will let me make a LAN, but won't get out to the WAN.

~

Last edited:

turboyo

Jun 23, 2009
Miami
I have the nexus one version of wireless tether working on my slide now.

~

awesome I just downloaded like 5 version and was going to test them guess Ill only need one now

edit.. ha yea I get 202 to connect and everything but nothing works.. the other 2 new experimentals dont work it cant write something. And the older ones force close

Last edited:

duce95

Jun 24, 2009
is there a way to back up our stock rom yet before we go flash happy with new roms when they start arriving?

nandroid?

bournefusion

Dec 8, 2009
McDonough
Kingofyo1, thanks so much for the walkthrough. I'm having some trouble here, and can't think of what I did wrong. I got through the whole process, rebooted the phone after flashing the slideroot zip inside the clockwork recovery, and after it rebooted I installed/pushed the superuser apk to my phone - but all the "root required" apps I tried to test it on are saying "root failed," "do you have root," etc.

I can't think of what I've done wrong here. Did I miss something basic?

I'm so happy to be able to root this puppy!

Awesome job by Eugene_373!

y2k1ltd

Mar 24, 2007
I followed everything step by step, but when I do

adb shell
su

I get permissions denied.

Any advice? Thanks.

richielasalsa

Mar 26, 2009
Minnesnowta
ok i have installed the htc support thing and adb works when phone is on not in fastboot mode once in fastboot mode it does not detect the phone at all it says listed devices and its blank someon help please

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
everytime I enter fastboot it says looking for drivers for android 1.0...
I have my drivers installed from htc sync and the pc can find the mytouch slide when the phone is on. but in recovery or fastboot, it says it cant find drivers for android 1.0 and I tried reinstalling them and updating them but no luck... can someone give me any pointers, please?

y2k1ltd

Mar 24, 2007
Did you install the Superuser.apk as well?

yes, superuser is installed. When I install a root need application it states that I don't have root. I wonder if my phone has a different kernel than the one used to gain root? Just a thought. If not, any other ideas?

I've also tried following the directions twice and got the same result.

Thanks.

Last edited:

krypto16

May 19, 2010
Katy
Google Pixel 3
I did every step including installing Superuser.apk which I can see on the phone. However adb shell su fails. permission denied. What could have gone worng.

Now I cannot even get the phone to be recognized by ADB when going into recovery. Any help would be great!!

dsamuels39

Jan 3, 2009
frusterated

I am probably not the only one. But I have myself uninstalled every driver and installed the htc sync drivers. I still after literally over 3 hours of trying cannot get my device to read during the recovery process. It reads about two times everytime showing the device with offline, but after that it sounds like my phone is disconnecting and when the recovery finally loads it reads no devices found. I am about to just give up and wait for a better process. Any suggestions guys? I can only rip so much of my hair out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.