*Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 8/14/2010

Search This thread

XAlucarDX454

Apr 19, 2010
i could never get mine to show up under adb devices... thered be nothing under listed devices.... BUT i figured out what worked for me... i hit loop than like a half sec later hit power to restore and viola my phone hwed up.. unplugged replugged and i showed up as a restore! root went great! thanks!!

kingofyo1

Apr 6, 2009
gulfport, ms
i could never get mine to show up under adb devices... thered be nothing under listed devices.... BUT i figured out what worked for me... i hit loop than like a half sec later hit power to restore and viola my phone hwed up.. unplugged replugged and i showed up as a restore! root went great! thanks!!

glad shes workign well for ya! onto eng build, right???

Sep 1, 2009
sorry for what might b a dumb question. but i cant find my android sdk tools folder. can some1 pls help. i would b happy to buy some1 a beer or 2 to help me root my slide. 6/17/10 sms text me at 786-250-2750.

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
sorry for what might b a dumb question. but i cant find my android sdk tools folder. can some1 pls help. i would b happy to buy some1 a beer or 2 to help me root my slide.

Ballsy putting you number on the Internet!

If you downloaded the Android SDK, it comes as a ZIP file. Just tell it to extract to your C: drive, and it will create a folder called android-sdk-windows (assuming windows, replace windows with whatever your system is). Within that folder, will be a "Tools" folder.

sheek360

Apr 23, 2010
when the phone is on, i can adb devices just fine. the second i power off, then on (while holding volume key down, ) i cant adb devices anymore. what am i doing wrong here? i wasnt able to adb devices till i got pda net though

sheek360

Apr 23, 2010
I've been trying for over three hours. I've rooted many differant phones before and never ever had a problem. Im surprised at all the little tricks everyone has tried. Sdcard from pushing enter and phone power button at certain intervals from HTC such and PDA net.... its over whelming. I'm just going to wait till there's a new way of rooting. Or atleaet till the instructions are clearer. Thanks.

rpare05

Jun 17, 2010
ADB Help

When I run the loop, my available device list is empty. I'm thinking I must have screwed my adb up, any help with how to set it back up?

Fordude

Jun 8, 2010
Minneapolis
www.shoutlife.com
This was much easier to do on a Mac than on Windows! Could have been because of the driver issues discussed earlier, not sure. I spent about 2 hours trying to do this on my PC, switched to Mac and had it done in 15 minutes!

:)

Thanks a Ton guys!!

NiN39Z

Dec 5, 2007
Thanks to mesajoejoe using his guide, I have gotten root as well. Everyone is having trouble like i did to get ADB to connect and your phone to show up offline. I have gotten it to show the phone offline for a second then dont show up in adb devices no more. I am going to show you how i did it using mesajoejoe's guide but my way of doing it. Please read carefully:
Note: I used windows 7 to do this method. Vista should be the same and XP will be slight different. This guid is assuming if you have the adb driver installed on your pc already.
1. While your phone is on, please go to settings-applications-development and turn usb debugging on.
2. Download USBDeview and install it. (Google is your friend) and while u are downloading, unplug the usb from your phone.

3. Start USBDeview (Run it as administrator!! VERY IMPORTANT!!) and delete all android drivers and mytouch drivers, anything relating to android.

4. Plug phone into computer and let the computer auto install drivers etc...

5. Turn the phone off. Power on the Slide into the bootloader by Holding Down ( Volume Down + Power Button ) After it does its little thing your computer will beep and start auto installing drivers.

6. Now select Recovery from the bootloader menu after it is done doing its thing completely 2 things will happen:
a. In device manager you will now have something under disk drives called T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide USB Device
b. In USBDeview, a new driver will pop up in part of the list with the same name.

7. This driver in USBDeview will show Yes under the Connection column. This needs to be disabled (In my case, there were 3 of them. Only choose and disable the one that says mass storage as the device type and Yes under connected). Right click on it and choose Disable Selected Device. After a few seconds it should no longer say Yes under connection column (If USB Deview freezes which it did for me after disabling it, just go to Device Manager and check under disk drives if T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide USB Device isnt there. if this isnt there, then go to the next step).
8. Now follow the guide from eugene to install root but with the step that tells you to run loop do it this way instead:
a. As soon as you reach into bootloader run the loop command.

b. As soon as the bootloader finish searches for an image file. scroll down to recovery and press power before the bootloader shows hboot USB.

c. As soon as you reach into recovery, it should show your device as offline and stay there not showing u for a second and dissapearing. If it doesnt show you at all, leave it to loop and restart your phone into bootloader and try again.
This is how I got mines to catch ADB and finally root my mytouch slide after 2 long hard days. Please show some feedback if it works for you.

Funsho

Dec 26, 2009
Chi-City!
I was also a victim of the whole "driver issue loop thing" heres a helpful hint. Make sure adb is't running twice. Notice when you run the loop command it says " daemon started successfully" . If you start the loop process again seeing that your device didn't show up as offline make sure to open task manager and end the task of any other instance of "adb" running before you try the loop command again... .Just my 2cents

kcbboy

Jun 15, 2010
OMG!!! I EFFIN HAVE ROOT!!!!! I was like "i'm just going to attempt it once today" and it worked on the very first try!!!! I dunno what It was but I went to tmobile and I got a completely new sd card so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it but it finally worked!!!

adambenjamin

Jun 17, 2010
Los Angeles
I was also a victim of the whole "driver issue loop thing" heres a helpful hint. Make sure adb is't running twice.

You nailed it.

This was the problem for me. It ended up being easiest to restart my computer between the ADB steps. That cleared the way for the daemon.
(At one point I pulled up the running processes and there were like 20 instances of adb, no wonder it wouldn't work)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.