[GUIDE] The $6 way to charging your EEE Pad on your computer

Search This thread

Feldhege

Jan 19, 2009
It does make one wonder why they can't (or Don't) make a car adapter for it. Would be very handy for us mobile IT guys.

Mean Sixteen

Jun 27, 2010
Another option is just to plug your TF into your USB and put it to sleep.
It charges fine. Not as fast but fine.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

fatbas202

May 15, 2009
Rolla, MO
Another option is just to plug your TF into your USB and put it to sleep.
It charges fine. Not as fast but fine.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

Actually, it doesn't INDICATE it's charging, but it does charge...sloooooowly. You won't get the lightning bolt "charge" indicator with less than 11V.

Again, no. My B40K sat plugged in to my USB port for 3 days asleep and the battery was dead when I went to use it. Maybe the newer models are different, but both my TF101 and B60K doc behave the same way - no charge whatsoever from a 5V USB port.

EDIT: Proof: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y2...Transformer/?action=view&current=IMG_5993.jpg

The battery is clearly labeled 7.4V. A 5V source will not charge that battery. Not even a little.

Last edited:

ondoy1943

Jun 21, 2011
.....The battery is clearly labeled 7.4V. A 5V source will not charge that battery. Not even a little.

...unless the existing charge of the battery has gone down to anything BELOW 5v, at which time the battery will be charged until its terminal voltage reaches 5v, and then the charging stops.

mosimo

Sep 13, 2007
r3dcloud.net
Kinda did this but made it into a data cable too.

Not sure if the ground cable from the molex is needed or not. But you can just cut the +5v cable in a usb extenion and join that to the +12v of a molex.

CL769.png

superGOAT

Feb 19, 2009
When does the lighter come into play?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

BLT24

Jan 14, 2011
This works great!!! I just bought a used tf on ebay and it didnt come with the wall charger so I tried this and it works amazing!!!!! Thanks soo much!

Nov 16, 2010
So - in order to create a car charger - would the following be correct?

Required equipment:

A cigarette lighter plug with cable

A USB Extention Lead

The USB Lead that came with the eee Tablet

-------------

1) Strip the USB Extention Lead and the Cigarete Lighter Plug lead.

2) Connect the Red and Black wires Accordingly

3) Plug in the USB Lead that came with the eee Tablet - and away you go?

I would love to have a car charger for this device - so if this works, I'll be one happy bloke.

Seems even simpler than the PC setup. (Less connectors required) - if this is indeed correct?
You may want to use something like this to protect your baby from something nasty happening to it...

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

...unless the existing charge of the battery has gone down to anything BELOW 5v, at which time the battery will be charged until its terminal voltage reaches 5v, and then the charging stops.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but if the battery in the TF ever got below 6V, it would never charge again. It has 2 LiIon based cells paired in series, and according to wikipedia a single cell should never go below 3V. 3 + 3 = 6. Anywho, if the transformer will charge off of a standard USB port, it likely has an in-built Boost Converter which steps the voltage up from 5V at a cost of amperage. I have not yet received my TF(8 days!), but when I do, I will test it. Also, the dock may not have the boost converter, so you must charge the TF directly.

Reactions: ckoadiyn

reiti.net

Dec 18, 2011
Gran Canaria
www.reiti.net
FYI The TF101 just charges fine over normal USB-Connection (slow, but it will). Never tried how long it would last when using the pad continously while plugged at a normal USB Port - but if its in standby it will charge up to full.

The AC Adapter which ships with the TF101 declares an output of 5-15V .. so 5V (stock USB) is sufficient for slow loading.

any idea why the stock ASus charger gets so hot while charging .. it's ridiculous

DevCake

Mar 3, 2008
Nice!

But if you want an additional portable charger check the thread links in my signature.

Bongo2k

Nov 28, 2006
The transformer charges from usb only when the screen is off, says so on the official info booklet thing you get when you buy it. I can scan it in if anyone wants to see.

trust-no-one

Dec 19, 2011
Adelaide
That's a great idea, I've always wanted to charge my TF off of my PC like I do with the standard wall adaptor.... would do it, but I don't want to hurt my beloved TF... don't know what I would do without it.

Might give it a shot sometime in the future.

tno~~

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
You may want to use something like this to protect your baby from something nasty happening to it...

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but if the battery in the TF ever got below 6V, it would never charge again. It has 2 LiIon based cells paired in series, and according to wikipedia a single cell should never go below 3V. 3 + 3 = 6. Anywho, if the transformer will charge off of a standard USB port, it likely has an in-built Boost Converter which steps the voltage up from 5V at a cost of amperage. I have not yet received my TF(8 days!), but when I do, I will test it. Also, the dock may not have the boost converter, so you must charge the TF directly.

Someone must be a electrician but thanks for the extra info

GasGuzz

Nov 26, 2011
12V Molex Amps

What's the amp output on that molex?
I believe it varies relative to PSU/12V-Rail, does it matter or will the TF only pull 12V/1.2A?

Nov 16, 2010
Someone must be a electrician but thanks for the extra info

Electrical Engineer in progress :)

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

What's the amp output on that molex?
I believe it varies relative to PSU/12V-Rail, does it matter or will the TF only pull 12V/1.2A?

Just so everyone is clear, I have never seen a professionally designed device that uses a lithium ion battery and needs external regulation of the amperage. It would be stupid to have the battery directly accessible for charging from an external port. The transformer is going to have internal charge circutry that takes care of that. as long as we give it the right voltage with the right polarity, it dosent matter how much or little current we give it, it will manage the charge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I lost my AC adapter a few weeks ago and haven't been able to use my EEE Pad since :( I had a hard time finding a suitable replacement AC adapter so I decided to make my own out of parts I had laying around.

This guide will not teach you how to make an AC adapter! This guide will teach you how to charge your EEE Pad using your computer (desktops only!)

Required Parts:
    1. Desktop Computer with an unused Molex power connector
    2. USB Extension Cord: $2.77 on eBay
    3. Molex -> PCI-e adapter: $2.76 on eBay
    4. OPTIONAL: Soldering Iron

The whole process takes around 5 minutes!!!

The Guide
    1) Cut off the male USB head on your USB extension cable. We're only going to need the female end.
    2) Strip off about an inch of the shielding on your USB extension cable. You should see 4 different colored wires. Cut off the GREEN and WHITE cables. We only need the RED and BLACK wires.
    3) Strip off about half an inch of shielding off both the RED and the BLACK wires.
    4) Cut off the PCI-e head on the Molex-PCI-e adapter.
    5) Strip off about an inch of shielding on the YELLOW and BLACK wires (on the Molex-PCIe adapter)
    6) Connect the RED wire on the USB cable to the YELLOW wire on the Molex-PCIe adapter. Solder them together for best results! Connect the BLACK wires together also.
    7) Use electric tape (or any kind of tape) and wrap up the connections (so it doesn't short out)
    8) Hook up the Molex connector to the Molex power connector (found inside your computer), plug in your TF and enjoy! :D

UaLfz.jpg

WARNING: DO NOT CONNECT ANY OTHER DEVICE (ASIDE FROM THE TF) TO THIS USB PORT!! IT WILL FRY IT IMMEDIATELY!!
    OK, so I was a little bored today and figured I would give this a shot. I really don't have a specific need for this but I already had this stuff laying around and i thought my findings would help those in need for a portable power solution for an extended time.

Required:
    USB 2.0 extension cable
    3 cell 5000mah Lipo battery & lipo charger
    Connectors for termination

Instructions:
    See attached photos

Things of note:
    Auxiliary battery charges the tablet at 40% an hour
    Tablet draws around 1 amp while charging then drops down to around half of that when it gets to 95%
    To obtain a full charge, starting with the tablet battery at 10‰ and the auxiliary battery fully charged (4.19v per cell), it dropped the auxiliary down to 3.82v per cell and 2549mah (well within its safe limits)

Questions?:
    Feel free to ask away
    Isn't it up to the charger to stop charging when battery is full ?

Also, with this method how much current (A) is being applied ?

Doesn't sound too safe to me.

Overcharging would cause battery explosion. (you can ask any electric RC hobbiests)

So many people misunderstand this! The reason why RC LiPo batteries bloat/start on fire/explode is because they are just a battery. There is no protection, no regulation, nothing to prevent the battery from being mistreated. Those batteries are directly charged and depend on an external charger to balance and stop charging them externally. That way, they can be charged much faster, are cheaper to manufacture, and can push out more power than if the protection was built in (an external unit is usually larger than the battery. Usually when an RC battery goes belly-up, it is due to the user being an idiot or a malfunctioning/cheap charger. I am an RC enthusiast myself, I own 3 hellis and 2 air boats, so I am not just blowing smoke up your @$$.

Now that we know why RC batteries have a bad rap, we can learn why they are completely different from the batteries in consumer electronics like, say, the Transformer! For a nice picture of the difference for those who still don't understand, see the included drawing.

The transformer (as I mentioned before) Likely has a boost converter to jump up the voltage (though luna_c666 has a good point that it could just be using a balancing charger or it may be using a sort of combo to de-couple ground allowing it to charge both batteries simultaneously) The reason for the 15V also likely has something to do with pumping more power through smaller wires and connectors. The iPad can charge at up to 2.1A I believe, which is 10.5 W (2.1 x 5), while the TF is able to charge at 1.2A x 15V or 18W (Take that Apple!) with a thinner wire, as the diameter of the wire is directly related to the amperage, not the voltage. That was a bit of a tangent. Anywho, the transformer uses an IC that performs a similar job to THIS one. So basically, all that the official charger does is check the status of one of the USB 3.0 pins and either outputs 5v with a maximum of 2A or 15V with a maximum 1.2A. It doesn't balance the batteries, it doesn't regulate current (besides it's physical limitations), it doesn't sing the transformer a lullaby. So, the transformer doesn't care if you give it 12V with a maximum supply of 1,000A or 15V with a maximum supply of 1.2A, the charge controller will draw what it needs and be happy, and the transformer will charge. Batteries won't explode, baby seals won't get clubbed (by your TF/charger setup anyway), and you will have a happy full battery.

Instructional Picture
    So I lost my AC adapter a few weeks ago and haven't been able to use my EEE Pad since :( I had a hard time finding a suitable replacement AC adapter so I decided to make my own out of parts I had laying around.

This guide will not teach you how to make an AC adapter! This guide will teach you how to charge your EEE Pad using your computer (desktops only!)

Required Parts:
    1. Desktop Computer with an unused Molex power connector
    2. USB Extension Cord: $2.77 on eBay
    3. Molex -> PCI-e adapter: $2.76 on eBay
    4. OPTIONAL: Soldering Iron

The whole process takes around 5 minutes!!!

The Guide
    1) Cut off the male USB head on your USB extension cable. We're only going to need the female end.
    2) Strip off about an inch of the shielding on your USB extension cable. You should see 4 different colored wires. Cut off the GREEN and WHITE cables. We only need the RED and BLACK wires.
    3) Strip off about half an inch of shielding off both the RED and the BLACK wires.
    4) Cut off the PCI-e head on the Molex-PCI-e adapter.
    5) Strip off about an inch of shielding on the YELLOW and BLACK wires (on the Molex-PCIe adapter)
    6) Connect the RED wire on the USB cable to the YELLOW wire on the Molex-PCIe adapter. Solder them together for best results! Connect the BLACK wires together also.
    7) Use electric tape (or any kind of tape) and wrap up the connections (so it doesn't short out)
    8) Hook up the Molex connector to the Molex power connector (found inside your computer), plug in your TF and enjoy! :D

Thanks for that but where do you get the connector to plug to the Transformer?
    charging

i am a little bit afraid, to try it in my car!

it must be full charged in five minutes.

shall i try, or is it better for my money,

when other user did first?