Save Google Play Music to External SD(SOLVED FINALLY)

Search This thread

Kinuser1

Apr 4, 2011
Figured id try this with google play movies with google play movies
ln -s /storage/extSdCard/GoogleMovies /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies/GoToGoogleMovies

HOwever I get Link failed function not implemented

jhorton014

Aug 26, 2010
Fort Riley, KS
Ok. So I just followed each step exactly as it says (been looking for this for a while now so thanks for posting.) I'll get back to you guys in a minute to verify that it works. I'm using a P5113 Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Ok. So after following all of the steps, I'm not sure if it worked or not. When I use my Root Browser to view the com.google.android.music it is empty, but so is the MusicCache folder I created on my external Sd. I downloaded a few albums to keep on device, but unfortunately since I'm using the newest Play Music app it doesn't say how much free space I have or how much my music is using.

rhizomaticon

Nov 8, 2012
Worked on Droid Razr Maxx running CM 10.1 RC2 on slot 1 with SafeStrap 3.11 (I know this thread is in GSII forum but it's the one I found with Google...)

Except I ran the command line script from Terminal Emulator rather than SManager and the .txt file.

Also, I not only did the bind for the cache, but also for the main music folder. My problem was I like to just transfer my full .flac files off my NAS via Wifi to the phone, and internal SD was filling up fast because I'm running the dual OSs and room is tight. G Music wasn't recognizing them in the sdcard-ext.

My two commands were:

mount -o bind /sdcard-ext/MusicCache/ /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.Android.music/

mount -o bind /sdcard-ext/Music/ /sdcard/Music/

Thanks to the OP skittles!!

rferrett

Oct 18, 2010
Plymouth
lunchtimelegend.co.uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFw9bEAzM8&feature=youtube_gdata_player. This worked perfectly for me. And I'm running the newest version.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah that is the method that seems to be a bit broken with the new Play Music app. From reading the Google Product threads it seems if you have too much offline cache it causes loads of crashes.

Google's answer is that they do not support external memory and thus don't really care. Most annoying.

jhorton014

Aug 26, 2010
Fort Riley, KS
Yeah that is the method that seems to be a bit broken with the new Play Music app. From reading the Google Product threads it seems if you have too much offline cache it causes loads of crashes.

Google's answer is that they do not support external memory and thus don't really care. Most annoying.

I do have a few force stops every now and then and I'm using the newest Google Play Music app, but everything works fine.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jtschanz

Mar 4, 2013
Portland
Worked on Droid Razr Maxx running CM 10.1 RC2 on slot 1 with SafeStrap 3.11 (I know this thread is in GSII forum but it's the one I found with Google...)

Except I ran the command line script from Terminal Emulator rather than SManager and the .txt file.

Also, I not only did the bind for the cache, but also for the main music folder. My problem was I like to just transfer my full .flac files off my NAS via Wifi to the phone, and internal SD was filling up fast because I'm running the dual OSs and room is tight. G Music wasn't recognizing them in the sdcard-ext.

My two commands were:

mount -o bind /sdcard-ext/MusicCache/ /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.Android.music/

mount -o bind /sdcard-ext/Music/ /sdcard/Music/

Thanks to the OP skittles!!

This works, but you have to re-run the command every time you reboot the phone. And you have to be quick, because if Google Play Music starts running first, it will detect the missing music files and start re-downloading your music.

Using SManager as described in the OP sets the script to run each time at boot so that you don't have this issue.

One other quick tip - sometimes it's hard to tell whether the Google Play music cache is really linked to the external SD card or not. I put a text file (name it something unique - "extSdCard.txt" in the "files" directory on the external SD card. Then, when I navigate to the google music cache location (ie /Android/data/com.google.android.music/files), if I see this text file I know it is linked correctly.

thanks to the OP!

Miltos1

Aug 16, 2010
Denver
SGH-T999 (4.1.1)
Google Play Music (Version 4.4.811H.526848)

Open Settings > Application manager > All > Google Play Music
2. Select "Force stop" and "Clear data"
3. Open ROM Toolbox > Root Browser
4. Create the following folder on your SD card /mnt/extSdCard/GoogleMusic/files
5. Tap and hold the folder named "files" until menu appears, and select "Create shortcut" at the bottom of the list
6. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.music/
7. Select "Create" and the "files" folder should be linked
8. Open "Play Music" app and sync
9. Select "Choose on device music" and it should show the available space on your sd card
10. Profit

tl;dr the directory where music is stored has changed from /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache to /data/data/com.google.android.music/files for both music and artwork

bluez3023's instructions seem to have worked a treat on my newly rooted Samsung Galaxy S4. Thanks!!!

Miltos1

Aug 16, 2010
Denver
Did you get this working with the new google music version?

Yes. I have this working on Google Music version 5.0.1052J.707098. I have verified this multiple ways. All offline music is being stored in the /mnt/extSdCard/GoogleMusic/files directory. No offline music is in the /data/data/com.google.android.music/ directory.

glwilliams4

Jan 16, 2011
Yes. I have this working on Google Music version 5.0.1052J.707098. I have verified this multiple ways. All offline music is being stored in the /mnt/extSdCard/GoogleMusic/files directory. No offline music is in the /data/data/com.google.android.music/ directory.

Does this persist on reboots as well? Or do you have to do it every time you restart your phone?

jhorton014

Aug 26, 2010
Fort Riley, KS
Does this persist on reboots as well? Or do you have to do it every time you restart your phone?

It does work over reboots. I posted a link to a video earlier using this same method earlier in this thread. The problem is that after you download a certain amount of music it all starts showing up as unknown artist and he song names are just random numbers.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

Miltos1

Aug 16, 2010
Denver
It does work over reboots. I posted a link to a video earlier using this same method earlier in this thread. The problem is that after you download a certain amount of music it all starts showing up as unknown artist and he song names are just random numbers.

Yes, it persists after a reboot for me as well. I didn't notice your earlier post, so I'm bummed to hear that I may/will encounter problems after downloading some amount of music. Currently I have 467MB of music and 141MB of artwork downloaded, so probably not much by other's standards.

pdrift

Jan 21, 2011
I had to move my MusicScript.txt to my phones internal memory for it to be persistent after a reboot because whenever I booted I think Google music would start up before the sd card was done being mounted and it would start downloading all my music again. I did this 4 times before I figured it out.
I currently have over 3GBs of music saved to my sd card and have not had any issues. I just hate that the music files lose they're names and they seem bigger then the files I uploaded to the cloud.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Xxul

Jun 28, 2011
i can see the files (their names are numbers) but i cant play them in ANY player (unsupported format, even if it clearly says .mp3) and on the pc aswell. Ideas?

I use Google Music All Acess and it automatically downloads the songs to the mentioned folder

jhorton014

Aug 26, 2010
Fort Riley, KS
i can see the files (their names are numbers) but i cant play them in ANY player (unsupported format, even if it clearly says .mp3) and on the pc aswell. Ideas?

I use Google Music All Acess and it automatically downloads the songs to the mentioned folder

Use doubletwist.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Use doubletwist.

It recognizes the song names instead of just the numbers.

Xxul

Jun 28, 2011
Use doubletwist.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

It recognizes the song names instead of just the numbers.

you dont get the point, all i want the saved (catched files from com.google.android.music) songs to play in other players. i have extracted all of the downloaded songs but it says unsupported format. could they be encrypted?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SAVE YOUR GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC OFFLINE MUSIC TO EXTERNAL SDCARD
    So I've been researching this issue for a long long time and have tried so many different approaches. I've finally found one that works! You can now save your google play music to your external sd instead of the internal sdcard.

This is based on the post found here. Please go and thank the original author. This will probably work on any phone.

So what this basically does is mount the google play music cache to a directory on your external SD on boot.

Requirements:
    1. Root
    2. external SD(obviously)

Steps

1. Using whatever task manager you have or just go into settings->apps->running, close google play music.
    2. Open your file manager and browse to /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache and delete all of the files found in music dir and artwork dir in this directory. This is very important step. If you do not delete your cache then your files will take up space but will no longer be available after this process.
    3. Browse to the root diretory of your external sdcard and create a directory called "MusicCache".
    4. Browse to the root of your internal sdcard and create a text file called "MusicScript.txt".
    5. Using your favourite text editor open the the file and past the following: "mount -o bind /emmc/MusicCache/ /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.Android.music/" and the save the file. Please note that if your using stock room, then /emmc/ might be /external-sd/. Please make sure to check the directory name for your external sd and replace /emmc/ with whatever your external sd directory is named.
    6. Go to the google play store and install script manager - Smanager. Open smanager, and on first open you should see an option to select root, check that option and click ok and make sure to grant root to the app when the su dialog appears.
    7. In Smanager browse to the root of your sdcard and click on and hold the "MusicScript.txt" to open a options dialog. Select "open as" and then select "Script/Executable".
    8. Then Select "Su" and "Boot" and hit save.
    9. You might not need this stop but it might solve some issues. Go to settings app->apps->google play music-> and hit clear data.
    10. Reboot your phone.
    11. Open up google play music and click on Choose on device music, and you should see the total space available equal to what is available on your external SD Card
    12. (Optional) Hamster dance.

Note: While downloading all of your music offline you may want to go to the settings app->developer options->check Keep Awake to keep the phone awake while charging so that the phone won't go to sleep. I did this so that I could finish up the download while keeping my phone charger connected. You should definitely turn this option off after your done.

**I assume no responsibility if this damages your device in any way**
    Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean

SGH-T999 (4.1.1)

5. Tap and hold the folder named "files" until menu appears, and select "Create shortcut" at the bottom of the list
    9. Select "Choose on device music" and it should show the available space on your sd card
    10. Profit

tl;dr the directory where music is stored has changed from /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache to /data/data/com.google.android.music/files for both music and artwork
    I think you all are really over-thinking this...

I found the absolute best and easiest way is by using symlinks. This can be accomplished with ROM Toolbox [Root Browser], without the need of scripting/commands/etc.

0. Open ROM Toolbox > Root Browser
    1. Make a folder in your desired location (sdcard) called "Music" or something to that sort.
    2. Tap and hold, select the option "Create Shortcut" at the bottom
    3. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.music/
    4. Paste (to create the shortcut)
    5. Delete the "cache" folder in this directory
    6. Rename the shortcut to "cache"
    7. Enjoy!
    Using Root Explorer on Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint (Stock)

SGH-T999 (4.1.1)

10. Profit

Thank you very much. I did this almost to the letter on my Samsung S3 on Sprint using stock rom. I used root explorer to create the folders. Here were the different steps from the above list.

3. Open Root Explorer
    4. Create the following folder path on your SD card (/mnt/extSdCard) :/GoogleMusic/files
    5. Tap and hold the folder named "files" until menu appears, and select "Link to this folder" at the bottom of the list
    7. Hit the "Create Link" button at the bottom and the "files" folder should be linked to the location sitting on your external sdcard.
    10. Verify files and folders after initial sync has completed. You should see the artwork and mp3 files if you're temporarily caching files in there.

I did the above because I didn't want all my cached music to hang around on the internal storage. I've got a 32gb class 10 card coming and that should give enough headroom for my use! :) Without the Google music option to temporarily cache music, the playback is pretty inconsistent here in the NH area. Caching it tends to allow the player to...well...play!

Thanks to the OP of the instructions. I just wanted to throw my experience with Root explorer in there for anyone if they need it.
    I found the absolute best and easiest way is by using symlinks. This can be accomplished with ROM Toolbox [Root Browser], without the need of scripting/commands/etc.

0. Open ROM Toolbox > Root Browser
    1. Make a folder in your desired location (sdcard) called "Music" or something to that sort.
    2. Tap and hold, select the option "Create Shortcut" at the bottom
    3. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.music/
    4. Paste (to create the shortcut)
    5. Delete the "cache" folder in this directory
    6. Rename the shortcut to "cache"
    7. Enjoy!

I wanted to say thanks, I did this (Downloaded Rom Toolbox Lite) and used the Root Browser, on my Rooted Galaxy S3 running stock Rogers ICS. Took under 2 minutes, and verified it's working.

I tried to do it using root explorer but the shortcuts seems to have a bug and wasn't able to create it, downloading root browser was the trick.

thanks!