Fresh from the NYC HTC Event, My Opinions

Search This thread

trebb

Mar 26, 2011
DC
Back btn doubles as menu.

D

I don't see the point of them having all of the buttons double (or even tripple) as other things. Why can't they just have four hardware buttons (or 3 at least)?

I can understand the home button doubling as recent apps like the S3, but having it do three different things while the back button does something else too (with a setting that most users probably won't find or understand) doesn't make sense to me.

I know most members here won't care, but that just seems slightly confusing for the general public and most consumers. With their company not doing so well lately, the business student and techy in me just can't wrap my head around it.

I hate to say it, but the possibility of a ton of apps having a good bit of the screen covered by a black menu bar is just something I could never see as being a possibility in iOS or any Apple product.

xShin

Oct 22, 2010
this is just my opinion so if you don't agree that is ok :)

Just from the info I have read on the internet about this phone (never having touched it) I would probably start looking to sell my DNA to buy this phone.. I LOVE the look of the phone and the solid aluminum construction really impresses... the new camera tech intrigues me but I would love to see sample shots and obviously take my own.. BUT alas I am stuck with verizon (grandfathered data plan) so unless they pick up some variant of this device I will keep my DNA (which I am actually very happy with)

I guess i should say thanks to Verizon for making the decision for me and helping me save the money this would cost off contract :D....

You essentially summed up my feelings exactly lol :)

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
This phone is not different enough from what I currently have to make me lose a wink of sleep. I'm waiting on the S4 and Moto X releases before getting my next phone ((though the S4 coming first will make it hard to wait for anything else.)

CharliesTheMan

Add me to the list of people who bought the DNA thinking its very unlikely it will see official sense 5. But I would never by a phone based on hopes and dreams for the future.

And the one is absolutely gorgeous, and I've got a contract with ATT. This will probably replace my 4S backup phone, but it won't be a launch day purchase, I'm in absolutely no hurry since I've got my DNA.

I'm most excited about the seemingly beautiful (so far, may be let down) build quality.

However I said the thunderbolt would never see ice cream sandwich, and HTC put the resources into that old thing and released official ice cream sandwich. So sense 5 isn't impossible its just unlikely, the logistics of an update like that being pushed to a non techy would be a nightmare unless they dumbed it way down, like a hybrid.

As far as hardware buttons, my devices without them have always worked just fine too.

Sent from my DNA... S-Off like a baws

Serinety

Account currently disabled
Aug 29, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
I'm one of those guys who gets the newest phone whenever they come out. We'll, htc and Samsung phones. I went dinc, charge, thunderbolt, dinc2(for 5 min), rezound, gs3, dna. I'll get the s4 when it comes out, then whatever htc phone is next.

Point is. They are just phones, some are good, some are not. It's not a life or death choice. If you don't like what you have, get something else. EBay is your friend.

On the htc one, it's nice, but not revolutionary in anyway. Since its not on Verizon it's a moot point anyway. Switching phones every few months is one thing, changing carriers is another. There are benefits to being a long time customer. Did you know they have special deals and different rules for handling tenured customers? Yup. They do :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got home from the HTC One announcement event and thought I would share my observations.

First here is the HTC page for the new phone: http://bit.ly/12HHcc9 if you want to go check out the specs and things.

Having used the phone, I can tell you, I was not sure I could go back to a smaller device since I have a DNA and am very comfy with the size. However, it fit the hand very well, and was not so much different that it bothered me.

The main home screen now has "BlinkFeed", which if you ever used FlipBoard is very similar. You go in and tell it what information you are interested in and it assembles a mosaic of blurbs from your social media and news sources for you to glance at. When you see something you like, you can tap it to get details. It seems to scroll on and on forever.

I'm not sure how much I like this, it'll be one of those things you have to try out to see how it sits with you. I have been told it can be disabled for those who don't care for it. On top of this, you also get 4 regular style home screens for shortcuts and widgets.

Sense is very clean now. Everything has been minimalistically styled for sleek looks and a very sexy overall appearance. I was very happy with the way things looked and how they came together.

And for those of you worried about it, the original Sense WeatherClock is still in there.

It does have NFC, but they seem to have left out Android Beam. I was told at lunch that it should be back in by release day. We will see.

The camera is also an innovation. Something called "UltraPixel". They did not give tech specs, but having used it, I can tell you it is truly beautiful. They also paired it with something called "Zoe" which is hard to describe, but you will love it. It takes your stills and videos, creates a 30 second mashup, sets it to music, and you can watch it right there on the fly. Check out this vid AndroidPolice made at the event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A5WXhzoCCA to better understand.

The phone has stereo front speakers and sound enhancement called "BoomSound". This really delivers a rich, full stereo sound that I was (for the first time on a phone) actually impressed with. You don't realize how bad your phone's speaker is till you hear something good.

They have added TV Remote software, which I did not try, but if you lose your remote, it could come in handy.

And finally, it has Sense Voice, which is supposed to let you make and hear calls, no matter how loud or cluttered the background noises are around you. Since the demo phones did not have service, I was unable to test that as well.

So there it is. Overall, I would say there are several major steps forward by HTC in this phone. You should definitely check it out when it hits the stores.

D

None of the above is true, dsb attacked me with a chair upon arrival to the event, stole my wallet and ran off before the phone was unveiled :eek:
    None of the above is true, dsb attacked me with a chair upon arrival to the event, stole my wallet and ran off before the phone was unveiled :eek:

What do you care, there was nothing in your wallet but vacuum!

D

Hmm... I read on a few other sites that the Blinkyfeedy thing cannot be disabled. They also left off wireless charging. And it's coming to a bazillion carriers across the globe but not Verizon. Silliness.

Happy with my DNA.

I do appreciate the write up. Thanks man.
    Is the iOS style 'rubber band' scrolling effect back? Its there on blinkfeed, but is it in settings menus etc?

I don't know what you mean, I've never touched an iPhone.

D