problem with replacing gps.conf

Search This thread

aerosmike

Mar 4, 2014
Hi,

I hope this is the write location for my post.

I have a HTC ONE rooted, android 4.3
I have a problem with my GPS: it doesn't lock any satellite. Reading on forum, I found that the problem may be the setting of gps.conf file in /system/etc.
In fact, checking it, I found that the NTP_SERVER set was for north.america, while I'm in Europe.
I would like to modify or replace it, but I'm experiencing some problem. Using Root Browser it seems to be able to modify it, but after rebooting the device it is exactly the same before the editing. I tried using other editors as ES File Explorer, but when I try to modify the file, it says "read only file system".

It makes me thing that also the other editor is not able to modify the file, since after reboot it is actually un-edited.

What do you think? how can I actually write in file system and actually modify gps.conf?

Thank you in advance

Let me add another detail: I tried to create a new empty file in the same folder with Root Browser. It seems to be able to create it, but after rebooting the device it desappears..so I guess I actually can't modify/write in the file system..

Last edited:

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Hi,

I have a problem with my GPS: it doesn't lock any satellite. Reading on forum, I found that the problem may be the setting of gps.conf file in /system/etc.
In fact, checking it, I found that the NTP_SERVER set was for north.america, while I'm in Europe.
I would like to modify or replace it, but I'm experiencing some problem. Using Root Browser it seems to be able to modify it, but after rebooting the device it is exactly the same before the editing. I tried using other editors as ES File Explorer, but when I try to modify the file, it says "read only file system".

It makes me thing that also the other editor is not able to modify the file, since after reboot it is actually un-edited.

What do you think? how can I actually write in file system and actually modify gps.conf?

Thank you in advance

Let me add another detail: I tried to create a new empty file in the same folder with Root Browser. It seems to be able to create it, but after rebooting the device it desappears..so I guess I actually can't modify/write in the file system..

You need an unsecured kernel (/system writable) to write to /system partition of the htc one, not only root.. Otherwise, all changes will be reverted at reboot like you are experiencing.

Kernels for htc one here

And note that modifying/deleting files in /system will probably prevent you to install future ota unless you revert the change you have made. There is a md5 checksum of many files in /system before the ota installs. If the md5 cheksum doesn't match then the ota will not install. This might not apply to the .conf file you want to edit but just in case, make a backup of that file before. So if the next ota fail, you'll know why.

Last edited:

aerosmike

Mar 4, 2014
You need an unsecured kernel (/system writable) to write to /system partition of the htc one, not only root.. Otherwise, all changes will be reverted at reboot like you are experiencing.

Kernels for htc one here

And note that modifying/deleting files in /system will probably prevent you to install future ota unless you revert the change you have made. There is a md5 checksum of many files in /system before the ota installs. If the md5 cheksum doesn't match then the ota will not install. This might not apply to the .conf file you want to edit but just in case, make a backup of that file before. So if the next ota fail, you'll know why.

Thank you very much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Thank you in advance

Kernels for htc one here