Terms explanation

Search This thread

zoranb

Jan 9, 2011
Hello, im a newby to smartphones and i wanted to ask what a couple of terms mean.
1. What does Rooted mean because i hear it all the time here in this forum.
2. Why is a phone needed to be Rooted?
3. What does S-OFF mean?

Last edited:

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Hello, im a newby to smartphones and i wanted to ask what a couple of terms mean.
3. What does S-OFF mean?

1: Rooted means you have full access permissions to the device. Think of it like the administrator account on Windows- a regular user can do some things, but only an administrator can make major modifcations to the device.

2: With a rooted device, one can run apps that make deep changes to the way Android functions, like adblockers or backup tools. Also, one can even put a different version of Android on the phone. These custom versions of Android are called "custom ROMs".

3. On HTC devices, even a rooted phone does not allow access to certain very deep system areas if the phone is in S-On mode. Setting the phone to S-Off removes these restrictions. It is not typically necessary to do this, but if you frequently "flash" (install) custom ROMs it may make your life easier. You also must be S-Off if you want to change the cell radio firmware (which is not reccomended unless you have a good reason to do so).

Reactions: zoranb

ILA

Sep 14, 2012
Are there any downsides to S-Off the phone?

Yes there are since now you can falsh a radio and if you flash the incorrect one, you'll end up with a bricked phone... It just gives you more permissions and by doing so, more way to screw up your system...

Personally, I was S-OFF and everything has been very easy for me because with the extra premisions you get from S-OFF you can flash anything directly from the phone without the need of your PC and ADB making flashing new ROMs and kernels a breze :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3. What does S-OFF mean?

1: Rooted means you have full access permissions to the device. Think of it like the administrator account on Windows- a regular user can do some things, but only an administrator can make major modifcations to the device.

2: With a rooted device, one can run apps that make deep changes to the way Android functions, like adblockers or backup tools. Also, one can even put a different version of Android on the phone. These custom versions of Android are called "custom ROMs".

3. On HTC devices, even a rooted phone does not allow access to certain very deep system areas if the phone is in S-On mode. Setting the phone to S-Off removes these restrictions. It is not typically necessary to do this, but if you frequently "flash" (install) custom ROMs it may make your life easier. You also must be S-Off if you want to change the cell radio firmware (which is not reccomended unless you have a good reason to do so).