[SOLUTION] AdAway Not Working - Stuck on "Applying hosts file"

Search This thread

thndr143

Aug 10, 2014
isn't working on my HYRDO ICON :(

still doing the 'Applying Hosts File' followed the instructions to the T :( *EDIT* false alarm :p

Last edited:

hhwong

Jan 31, 2012
Quick question here, why does it stop blocking YouTube ads now? It used to work perfectly...... I am using adaway 2.9

jorddenn

Nov 19, 2014
Permission rewritten on reboot

Changing the permissions for the hosts file worked great but the permissions get reset back to the original ones after a reboot. Is there any way to prevent them from being rewritten?

d8v8n8

Apr 22, 2014
I applied to the letter the tutorial using FX Explorer. The permissions are applied correctly and stuck even after rebooting. However, AdAway still fails to update the hosts file. I have a Lenovo P780, with KingUser (as rooting app), Jelly Bean 4.2.1. What else can I try?

akuma-88

Apr 15, 2015
It is not working on my phone HTC One m8s m/6.0.1 (s-on)... rooted and unlocked bootloader and there it custom recovery twrp
Any solution please

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170115-201533.png
    Screenshot_20170115-201533.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 691

elvan121

Jul 21, 2008
Hey there, for me it has always worked to click just "disable adblocking", as is recreating an empty file with the right permissions. once done, press again the button "Download files and apply ad blocking"

Fortunef30

Sep 20, 2019
MY ADAWAY APPLYING FAILED( try changing target hosts file in preference to data/data)

Hello Great XDA Developers,i have an issue, this is what my ADAWAY does when after i click ENABLE AD-BLOCKING
it downloads for a while and says

"Applying the hosts file to your system failed!.
Try changing the target hosts file in preferences to /data/data/hosts.
Please read help for more information"

Kindly see the picture below attached to this..What can i do to solve this and apply successfully to my device (Infinix hot 4 pro nougat 7.0). Please kindly help
Screenshot-20190920-110434.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is an easy solution/fix for those who wish to use AdAway v2.8 but end up getting stuck on the final step to enabling ad blocking, "Applying hosts file".

If you are trying to enable AdAway but are stuck on "Applying hosts file" as seen in the screenshot below, then please follow these very simple instructions.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802174044.jpg

1. Download a root explorer. I prefer using Root Explorer because I think its the best file explorer on the android market. If you have problems with purchasing apps you can always use the free version Explorer, or if you prefer using another file explorer that's fine, just make sure it has root access enabled.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802238287.jpg

2. Once you have a file explorer installed that has root access enabled, navigate to "system/etc" and find the file labeled "hosts" as seen in the screenshot below.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802268825.jpg

3. Hold down/select the file labeled "hosts" and select "permissions" from the selection as seen in the screenshot below.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802285765.jpg

4. After selecting permissions a window should have popped up where you can change the permissions of the file as seen in the screenshot below.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802303565.jpg

4. Change the permissions of the hosts file to "rw-rw-rw" just like in the screenshot below. Hit "OK" to apply the permission changes and close the file explorer completely and head back over to AdAway.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802332780.jpg

5. Once you have AdAway back open, click "Download files and apply ad blocking" and try again. Depending on your internet connection it shouldn't take very long, but you should see something like this, hit "Yes".
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802403445.jpg

6. After your phone has rebooted, open AdAway again and you should see something like this saying newest hosts files enabled.
    uploadfromtaptalk1390802561016.jpg

Congratulations, AdAway is now working and ad blocking is enabled!
    Still having problems - you can try this

Had the same issue on my HTC Desire running 4.4.2 OmniRom by Spezi77

I followed all the steps outlined in the OP, but still Adaway was stuck while applying the host file

Finally, managed to get it to work :) by disabling the toast notification for Adaway in SuperSU.
    attachment.php

The original solution has been posted here (towards the end)
    The reason AdAway does that on newer android versions (some 4.3 roms and most all 4.4) is because of SELinux. If you change it to permissive, the Hosts file applies perfectly. Do so at your own risk, but I can't stand having it on my phone. Blocks too many fun things.
    I installed root explorer -free version just to reprodcue your problem. Yes, I get the same on step 3 - it only shows the properties of the host file. I think this is partly because the program does not ask for root permissions. With SuperSu i couldn't manually grant root permissions to it.

I would suggest you to use "ES file explorer" instead. When you open this program, access the left menu. Open tools and scroll down to find root explorer option. Now in the app click on the button next to it to switch it on. The program will now ask for root permissions from your super user program. Grant there rights. Then you have to click on the word root explorer and you will get a popup menu. In this menu you have to next to the /system select RW option. This will allow you to make changes to system.

Now close this left menu, and navigate to the hosts file and set the permissions. When you long press on the file you will get similar options as listed in the original post.

You can switch off the root explorer option when you are done.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app
    SuperSU Notification tweak fixes it

Disabling the notification in SuperSU worked for me as well.

Thanks for the note.