Droid ROMs on the Milestone - Possible?

Search This thread

Coburn64

Aug 6, 2009
Boonah
www.coburndomain.net
What is the limitations of us porting ROMs from the Droid to the Milestone? Based on my research, both platforms are the same and the hardware is either identical or silimar (but 99% matching, with the exception of the Droid's CDMA radio).

I'd really like to see CyanogenMod on the Milestone, I think it would be a great ROM to have a play with. I just wanted to ask you guys and girls about it, before I run off and blow things up.

Please, no n00b comments. I know the Milestone and Droid are different (Milestone has a 600Mhz CPU and the Droid has a 550Mhz CPU?) and they both are GSM and CDMA respectively, but yeah.

Cheers,
Coburn.

xslntx

Jan 20, 2010
Mississauga
You're right, they are extremely similar devices. The primary reason why this isn't possible is due to the locked bootloader - various checks are in place to make sure that the phone will only boot a kernel specifically built for the Milestone by Motorola.

Attempting to flash any Droid rom will result in a device that won't boot - you'll have to flash it with a stock sbf or with a nandroid backup, if your recovery still works.

A small correction, both the Droid and Milestone have identical CPUs. They're both 600MHz Cortex A8's, underclocked to 550MHz.

Last edited:

Qazz~

Feb 10, 2010
Singapore
Weird, u said its an A8 processor but an app I have called OSmonitor states that it an ARMV7, unless their just the same...

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
Weird, u said its an A8 processor but an app I have called OSmonitor states that it an ARMV7, unless their just the same...

ARM is the instruction set (What the CPU says)

Cortex A8 is the model number (What the CPU is)

The Milestone is dumb. It's a brilliant phone, but dumb.

A bad headphone jack, crippling lack of an unlocked bootloader, and silly reboots/wake up problems prohibit it from being epic.

Everything else is amazing.

dodotech

Aug 11, 2009
Reichshof
Thats not so correctly !

In Europe is that not possible because its the different between GSM and CDMA !!

The Droid have CDMA and the Milestone in Europe have GSM ! Iam loocking for the develop Bootloader to flash other Roms on Milestone !!

When everybody have a idea or the answer ....pleas send me an PN !!

My friend is writing his new Programm its called recalc !! News comming soon .....

federicoponl

Jul 13, 2010
Thats not so correctly !

In Europe is that not possible because its the different between GSM and CDMA !!

The Droid have CDMA and the Milestone in Europe have GSM ! Iam loocking for the develop Bootloader to flash other Roms on Milestone !!

When everybody have a idea or the answer ....pleas send me an PN !!

My friend is writing his new Programm its called recalc !! News comming soon .....

i've pm you the link with the developer bootloader.

best regards