ArmorSuit MilitaryShield Screen Protector

Search This thread

markusf21

Aug 25, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I wasn't going to use a screen protector with this phone. I ordered a Trident aegis case for mine that came with one. While waiting for it to show up I got a small scratch. You have to look for it, but it's there. Needless to say I use the screen protector now.

Sent from next year on my CM 10ed G-Mobile Galaxy Note 2

starskyrob

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2011
the internet
This is incorrect. Plastic will protect the glass from any random things that would otherwise damage the glass. It is well understood by now that gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. By adding this plastic cover you increase the compression in which an object can penetrate before hitting the screen. This increases the time the object has to transmit it's energy into the phone and by using the formula for kinetic energy (KE=.5mv²) you will notice that it will lower the velocity of impact. This results in a compression which will lower the KE before whatever may scratch the screen actual scratches it, therefore concluding that the screen protector does protect the gorilla glass.

Science :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Kid Poker

Feb 22, 2008
NY
As I always say, it's a hell lot easier and cheaper to replace a screen protector instead of the glass itself. Out of all my phones, I have never handled one without a screen protector, heck even my tablet has one, as well as my MacBook Pro

thisisit123

Feb 3, 2012
how does this compare with the sgp steinheil ultra clear protectors if anyone knows....

ive had the crystal clear sgp protector for months now and i think its amazing...only prob i had with it was that it somehow got scraped in the middle of the screen once and i had to replace it

SpydaPig

Oct 26, 2010
Orlando
how does this compare with the sgp steinheil ultra clear protectors if anyone knows....

ive had the crystal clear sgp protector for months now and i think its amazing...only prob i had with it was that it somehow got scraped in the middle of the screen once and i had to replace it

Wouldn't it be a good thing that the screen protector got scraped instead of the screen. I don't see that as being a problem at all.

I'm also using steinheil and have a bunch of scratches on it. Better that than my screen.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

chhan02

Mar 3, 2011
I'm using a Skinomi screen protector. It's fairly cheap with excellent quality. Clear finish and doesn't distort the screen. I've used it for many phones in the past and it has held up fine, even with harsh working conditions (fast food restaurant, automotive work, etc.). It does attract fingerprints, but nothing too heavy, especially coming from working with cars and greasy foods all the time.

Muff Burner

Mar 11, 2012
LOL whatever... Mr.Wizard..

Either way, its like putting plastic around a bullet proof glass..

IMO they are not needed anymore at all. Keys,wallet clips, concrete will not scratch the gorilla glass, so anymore more than that is a catastrophic failure that no plastic will really help..

Either way, like I said, some people like to put ugly oil attractive plastic on their phones.. More power to them

You clearly know nothing about physics or gorilla glass so why bother ?

#1 Gorilla glass scratches, it's main purpose is to be more pressure resistant/flexible.

#2 Bullet proof glass is plastic.

#3 Go do some research before you snap back all opinionated. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and some stink more than others.

Heff66

Feb 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
I work as a CNC machinist, I work with stainless steel and many other hardened alloys such as titanium and hastelloy ... I always have microscopic chips of metal on my hands at work. A screen protector is required for my phone... gorilla glass scratches... honestly. I normally go for whats cheapest because in my environment screen protectors are normally all the same at the end of the day, they become oily and scratched having done a wonderful job protecting my phone.

heyjaygee

Feb 27, 2011
Take it from a Ghost Armor Employee

Using a screen protector on Gorilla Glass works. Ghost Armor doesn't have the orange peel look that Zagg does, and my screen has been in mint condition ever since. The only mark on my screen is on the front-facing camera. It's not covered by the ghost armor screen and somehow acquired a feint hairline scratch. It kind of pisses me off because I'm OCD about my phone but Gorilla Glass isn't scratch-proof, that much I'm sure of.

jets76

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto
I don't want to hijack anyone's thread but I gotta rant a bit. I think that screen protectors are bull****. I mean it has gorilla glass, you can barely scratch it. Worse of all, 90% of them create artifacts and make it hard to see a crystal clear image. I had my HTC Desire HD for over an year and work in construction, not a scratch without gorilla glass. I even used to toss it into my pocket with change regularly.

Screen protectors=cash grab

850Mda

Aug 21, 2007
the minute i take my screen protector off i'll get a scratch within 5 minutes knowing my luck. so ill keep using screen protectors....i somewhat cherish my valuables lol

digital4282

Jun 1, 2010
Ohio
I repair cell phones for a living, you would be surprised at the amount of scratched, shattered, and just plain worn out Gorrila Glass displays that I have seen. It seems most of the ones I have seen that were scratched were from Women putting them in their purses. I have no idea what they carry in there, but they sure do know how to scratch these things.

BTW, in my opinion so long as you are smart with your phone and don't do anything ridiculous you can probably get away without a screen protector. I don't chance it since I've seen the damage one too many times, but that's me.

Reactions: jets76

jets76

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto
I repair cell phones for a living, you would be surprised at the amount of scratched, shattered, and just plain worn out Gorrila Glass displays that I have seen. It seems most of the ones I have seen that were scratched were from Women putting them in their purses. I have no idea what they carry in there, but they sure do know how to scratch these things.

BTW, in my opinion so long as you are smart with your phone and don't do anything ridiculous you can probably get away without a screen protector. I don't chance it since I've seen the damage one too many times, but that's me.

I agree with you.

Reactions: digital4282

degeneration

Jul 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
I still go with the argument that no matter how sure I am I won't get a scratch, there is still that chance, and I can replace a screen protector for under 20 bucks.

Apr 4, 2012
Appomattox
Great observations!

I just bought a SGH-T989, and a plethora of accessories along with it. Of all the things I bought for it, I did not think a screen protector was something I needed. This is due to the fact that the LCD's composition substance is named Gorilla Glass. After all, with a name as such, it makes one think that the display is indestructible. However after reading all these posts here, being a man of caution and taking most things with a grain of salt, I have opted to go ahead and buy a good screen protector.
The next thing I can say is that, I have never seen such fervor over such a trivial subject. If you like it, great and if you don't, that's your prerogative. There is no need to get bent out of shape over these little things. Be happy for every day that the sun rises to greet you. We can always just agree to disagree. :eek:

drekybaby

Apr 10, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I just feel as why not get one? Cheap, and they are kinda thick.... These screens are to impressive to chance it. I also do construction!

ascar1s

Oct 5, 2012
Romoval

Giving a quick review of the ArmorSuit Screen protector for the T-Mobile GSII SGH-T989. I got it from Amazon the other day for $9.00 and thought I would help out anyone seeking quality screen protection beyond the gorilla glass.

One further question, to anyone who owns the ArmorSuit: Is it easy to remove, and does it leave a trace when you do?

Gracie!

NOXQCS

Oct 26, 2012
LOL whatever... Mr.Wizard..

Either way, its like putting plastic around a bullet proof glass..

IMO they are not needed anymore at all. Keys,wallet clips, concrete will not scratch the gorilla glass, so anymore more than that is a catastrophic failure that no plastic will really help..

Either way, like I said, some people like to put ugly oil attractive plastic on their phones.. More power to them

I personally use the Dynoflo Liquid Armor as I don't like the feel of plastic on the screen and so far it seems to qork quite well. No scratches other than the one that was made by my keys so yes gorilla glass can be scratched.

You may want to look into how bullet proof glass is made... It's a laminated product wherein layers of glass and plastic are sandwiched one over the other dissipating the force of the projectile.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use Physics to Prove its value

IMO you're putting plastic over glass.. Unless its in a car and its tinted its a waste.

No plastic will protect gorilla glass

This is incorrect. Plastic will protect the glass from any random things that would otherwise damage the glass. It is well understood by now that gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. By adding this plastic cover you increase the compression in which an object can penetrate before hitting the screen. This increases the time the object has to transmit it's energy into the phone and by using the formula for kinetic energy (KE=.5mv²) you will notice that it will lower the velocity of impact. This results in a compression which will lower the KE before whatever may scratch the screen actual scratches it, therefore concluding that the screen protector does protect the gorilla glass.
    Giving a quick review of the ArmorSuit Screen protector for the T-Mobile GSII SGH-T989. I got it from Amazon the other day for $9.00 and thought I would help out anyone seeking quality screen protection beyond the gorilla glass.

Link for screen protector

If you read the product description it will give you the rundown. I'll give you my opinions of it. First, the self healing claim is for the most part true. It scratched pretty bad when I was applying it but they all went away within a day. Installation was a breeze, just follow the instructions and watch the install video. I did find that at the top of the screen (where the front camera is) the protector just ends rather than going over the camera. I'm not sure if there is any benefit but it does seem like it will be a nuissance in the future because this is where it will start to peel (if anywhere.) Pictures are included.

Picture 2: There is absolutely no change in the quality of screen viewing.

I agree with you.