[Q] New owner - what are the known issues?

Search This thread

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
My fiance is getting the Bionic, it's expected early next week. What are the known problems with this phone so we know what to expect?

Oh, and this wasn't a phone of either of our choice, Verizon kinda forced it on her. She had her phone stolen at work and Verizon offered to give her this phone for a price, but give up her upgrade next yr and sign a 2 yr agreement. When we tried asking for another phone, we got a firm "we can't do that." I know, really bad deal... I may try calling on her behalf to get that straightened out tonight.

But in case we're stuck, I was just curious about the problems.

xecuter1004

Dec 18, 2010
Oberlin
Most of the issues have been resolve with the updates love the phone have had it since launch very fast and no lags in the software 4g is great, only issue is a data drop maybe once a week when switching from 4g to 3g.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reactions: dchao22 and gk1984

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
I didn't mean to give the impression I was expecting this to be a terrible phone. Just as getting anything new, you want to know what to expect. I'm an avid Android user and know the specs. The phone seems to be a great phone, but it can be a bit harder to investigate any problems with it. I was hoping someone would say the bugs were worked out, so thank you for that. The hate comes from the way Verizon kind of screwed her out of an upgrade without any choice of phone. We didn't know what we would have rather had yet, but having known it would be giving up an upgrade, we would have liked to look into what is available and actually have a choice.

But the Bionic IS an upgrade from what she had before. She had the LG Revolution which was a terrible experience. Thanks for the feedback though. Like I said, I was just trying to get a better idea of what to expect. (Thanks buttons have been clicked)

KaneOfMars

Jul 26, 2011
Charleston, SC
I didn't mean to give the impression I was expecting this to be a terrible phone. Just as getting anything new, you want to know what to expect. I'm an avid Android user and know the specs. The phone seems to be a great phone, but it can be a bit harder to investigate any problems with it. I was hoping someone would say the bugs were worked out, so thank you for that. The hate comes from the way Verizon kind of screwed her out of an upgrade without any choice of phone. We didn't know what we would have rather had yet, but having known it would be giving up an upgrade, we would have liked to look into what is available and actually have a choice.

But the Bionic IS an upgrade from what she had before. She had the LG Revolution which was a terrible experience. Thanks for the feedback though. Like I said, I was just trying to get a better idea of what to expect. (Thanks buttons have been clicked)

I just got my bionic yesterday on a warranty swap (had an LG Revolution also... went through 3 of them before they gave me another option). All I had to pay for was a battery and battery door.

Last edited:

Hans5849

Apr 11, 2012
Rooting it is now fairly easy. ICS builds are out there, but I'm not satisfied with the quality try for daily use. One you root it and ROM it, first thing to do is wipe battery stats.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
I just got my bionic yesterday on a warranty swap (had an LG Revolution also... went through 3 of them before they gave me another option). All I had to pay for was a battery and battery door.

Wow, lucky you. They'll do anything to get more money from ya (us) huh? They're reasoning is they're letting her upgrade over a year early - hence the reason for no choice.

Rooting it is now fairly easy. ICS builds are out there, but I'm not satisfied with the quality try for daily use. One you root it and ROM it, first thing to do is wipe battery stats.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I appreciate the rom tips, but she refuses to go that route - I tried. I've rooted and flashed countless roms on 3 phones i've owned, but she isn't comfortable letting that happen. so, her use will always be 100% stock. But since we're on the topic, any promise of an official ICS update? I'll look into this myself if no one cares to answer. I'm sure that's easy to find.

TweakerL

Oct 6, 2010
Rosedale, MD
Some nice things

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. While you did ask about known issues, I guess it's only fair to mentions some positives as well.

1. The 4g, at least in my area (around Baltimore), is pretty great.
2. Patching the mobile hotspot is fairly easy, (if you don't mind spending a couple of bucks on the right app) which is quite useful if you're grandfathered with unlimited data.
3. The lapdock can be quite useful - emphasis on "can" - as you can have a full blown linux OS running on it (takes some nerdiness to get it working nice, but I honestly think it's well worth it since I paid only about $70 for my lapdock).
4. Rooting the phone is extremely easy.
5. If you mess anything up, restoring it to its original state is fairly easy and mostly fool proof (as with all motorola android phones) using RSD Lite.

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
Got mine about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love the way it works. My wife upgraded as well to her first smartphone, but sadly she chose the Samsung Charge. When I showed her the pink theme for Eclipse 2.2 she was having 2nd thoughts on her choice. Over all a damn good device and lots of different options for it.

saintsdx

Apr 28, 2012
Sioux Falls, SD
Wow, lucky you. They'll do anything to get more money from ya (us) huh? They're reasoning is they're letting her upgrade over a year early - hence the reason for no choice.

I appreciate the rom tips, but she refuses to go that route - I tried. I've rooted and flashed countless roms on 3 phones i've owned, but she isn't comfortable letting that happen. so, her use will always be 100% stock. But since we're on the topic, any promise of an official ICS update? I'll look into this myself if no one cares to answer. I'm sure that's easy to find.

The data drop issues I had were resolved with the leaked .904 update. Fairly simple to apply and the phone stays stock since its just an update, maybe you need to root. (I was rooted when I applied it and had to reroot after.)

Other then that I would occasionally get duplicate texts and it would get rather annoying getting the same text multiple times, one time it didnt stop so I had to reboot (note that this is same in stock as well as roms and messaging apps).

Since then I disabled the timestamp option in the text messaging and it seems to have resolved it. (2 days with no duplicates) I re-enabled it to see if it would start doing it again to see if the timestamps are the actual root cause of the problem.

Those were my only issues with Stock. Since then I have been running Eclipse and have been loving it. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What phone did she have? What phone would you and her rather have had? Since you're showing a little hate, I'll show a little love........... Bionic is the best phone out there, you won't find anything better.
    Most of the issues have been resolve with the updates love the phone have had it since launch very fast and no lags in the software 4g is great, only issue is a data drop maybe once a week when switching from 4g to 3g.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk