[Q] S-Off/Root Info - HTC Rezound

Search This thread

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
What's the gain in being a **** to the guy? He asked about s-off, yes he could have searched, but the question is only half answered. We don't have s-off as a community yet. Only unlocked and s-on, which is a sticky in the dev section.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

In all honestly, in real life no body is going to walk you through something that's right in front of your face.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

badogg

Mar 11, 2011
In all honestly, in real life no body is going to walk you through something that's right in front of your face.

In all honesty, I'm not usually one to get on someone's case about searching through and sorting through 90 pages of search results. But this one was just crazy that he couldn't make the slightest attempt.

I'm not mad or nothin, more kind of flabbergasted. I just wanted to use the word flabbergasted today. :D

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
Yes, but we were all noobs at one point. I agree, op should have taken two minutes to look, but that still doesn't mean that people have to be a ****. That's all I'm saying.

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
Yes, but we were all noobs at one point. I agree, op should have taken two minutes to look, but that still doesn't mean that people have to be a ****. That's all I'm saying.

Speak for yourself, even when I was a noob I knew what Search did. ;)

I did answer his questions earlier in the thread, told him no S-Off, the rooting guide is in the Dev section.

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6

People are assholes :) its life
It's also the internet so its just gonna happen, so might as well get over that

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte

I did answer his questions earlier in the thread, told him no S-Off, the rooting guide is in the Dev section.

I knew what it did too. But the point still remains we have all asked a question at one point or another that we could have found the answer to. And just being behind a keyboard doesn't make you any bigger of a man or woman. So why be a ****. I got sick and tired of all the redundant questions on the tbolt forum, but I just ignored the thread and moved on. More people should learn that.

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
People are assholes :) its life
It's also the internet so its just gonna happen, so might as well get over that

I accept the that fact, and that's the reason I have been spending less and less time on forums. Because people act differently here than they would in real life.

Reactions: eaglet1223

nicotinic

Oct 18, 2010
California
hmmm...

It's kinda like,
NB: "Where's the bathroom?"
Exp: "Hey dude, it's a small house, you got eyes, look around and find the bathroom yourself...What, yeah I know where it is!
If you gotta go that bad then you shoulda found out where the it was before you got here.
Okay now I'm pissed, I'll tell you where, but now I'm gotta take a dump on your shoe.
Hey anybody else wanna take a dump on this joker's shoe, he's asking stupid questions..."
:confused:

narta

Nov 2, 2007
NB: "Where's the bathroom?"
Exp: "There is a map device in front of your eyes that has a search function, use it"

noob does not equal lazy.

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
I knew what it did too. But the point still remains we have all asked a question at one point or another that we could have found the answer to. And just being behind a keyboard doesn't make you any bigger of a man or woman. So why be a ****. I got sick and tired of all the redundant questions on the tbolt forum, but I just ignored the thread and moved on. More people should learn that.

Look at my thread history, I have no problem helping people or pointing people in the right direction, a little effort on the OP's part wouldn't have killed him though.

cincyelite22

Jul 30, 2011
Cincinnati
I just feel that as a community we shouldn't be jerks to new people when they ask questions. Yeah he could have searched for it and found it, but we all talk about being respectful to devs and then some people go and attack new people. How does a community grow and be known as friendly when they attack someone who made a mistake?

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
I just feel that as a community we shouldn't be jerks to new people when they ask questions. Yeah he could have searched for it and found it, but we all talk about being respectful to devs and then some people go and attack new people. How does a community grow and be known as friendly when they attack someone who made a mistake?

Exactly. Sometimes people just like some input. I rooted my first phone which was an EVO 4g back on 2.2 with unrevoked. While it was very simple compared to how rooting is now, I was ****ting my pants. It's very nerve racking when you don't know what you're doing. That came back a little since the rezound was a little more complicated than plug in and click a button and autoroots itself. It is nice to be able to ask people simple questions to get direct input to you without Getting flamed. We are here already, regardless what thread pops up so just paste a link to the thread he needs and done. No flaming required

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

wmaudio

Jan 26, 2009
Fairview Park, Ohio
Well, it's highly possible that the OP was someone who would have eventually donated, and all this BS just cost some very generous dev some money, so I'm sure we're all very happy about that. :(

I have actually spent many hours reading articles and threads in an attempt to figure out what exactly S-OFF does for me, and I still don't get it. From what I understand, in a nutshell, it enables write access to any part of the phone. However, I'm happy with Verizon and my Rezound is rooted and running CleanROM 4.3, so is any reason I would want S-OFF? Do I need to be concerned about future custom ROMs possibly requiring S-OFF?

I have already prepared myself for the hate, so fire away and enjoy wasting your time posting crap that will be ignored. However, if anyone has anything positive and informative to say, I will gladly click the Thanks button.

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
Well, it's highly possible that the OP was someone who would have eventually donated, and all this BS just cost some very generous dev some money, so I'm sure we're all very happy about that. :(

I have actually spent many hours reading articles and threads in an attempt to figure out what exactly S-OFF does for me, and I still don't get it. From what I understand, in a nutshell, it enables write access to any part of the phone. However, I'm happy with Verizon and my Rezound is rooted and running CleanROM 4.3, so is any reason I would want S-OFF? Do I need to be concerned about future custom ROMs possibly requiring S-OFF?

I have already prepared myself for the hate, so fire away and enjoy wasting your time posting crap that will be ignored. However, if anyone has anything positive and informative to say, I will gladly click the Thanks button.
An unlocked bootloader allows us to flash roms and kernels and such but not radios. Without s-off the only way we can get updated radios is through an ota update which will cause us to lose root. That is all s-off allows us to do that an unlocked bootloader cannot. S-off is great in the fact we can get radio updates and flash them separately without an ota update. S-off is not available yet but a few have done it and are working on a way for us to do it as well when they decide it is working safe and properly

Last edited:

pwned3

Jul 23, 2011
Cullman
I am aware of him obtaining s -off on a few rezounds. Looks promising and simple but I will wait until more tests are done and is proven safe. Thanks for that link

It's been released and works quite well most of the time. Mine is s-off. Finally for rid of that blinding splash screen

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

nicotinic

Oct 18, 2010
California
An unlocked bootloader allows us to flash roms and kernels and such but not radios. Without s-off the only way we can get updated radios is through an ota update which will cause us to lose root. That is all s-off allows us to do that an unlocked bootloader cannot. S-off is great in the fact we can get radio updates and flash them separately without an ota update. S-off is not available yet but a few have done it and are working on a way for us to do it as well when they decide it is working safe and properly

To add to that:

You'll also be able to flash a ROM completely without leaving the recovery environment once developers intergrate S-OFF compatibility into ROMs...no more, "then boot to hboot and let it find PH98IMG.zip" for ROMs.

You'll also be able to restore a nandroid back-up fully without leaving the recovery environment.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you even attempt to look at the Dev section where there is a pinned thread? Or maybe use the search function?
    What's the gain in being a **** to the guy? He asked about s-off, yes he could have searched, but the question is only half answered. We don't have s-off as a community yet. Only unlocked and s-on, which is a sticky in the dev section.

There is no guide for S-Off, it's not available yet.

There is a rooting guide stickied at the top of the Dev forum.
    There is no guide for S-Off, it's not available yet.

There is a rooting guide stickied at the top of the Dev forum.

There is a hack for S-OFF:

http://unlimited.io/htc-rezound/