[Q] S-OFF'ing the HTC One S4 - Fastboot not working

Search This thread

Hammerbak

Aug 24, 2010
Gentofte
Hi everyone,

I need a little help here as I find myself stuck between a lot of possibilities and I don't know which one to take or generally what to do.

My girlfriend has an HTC One S4 with unlocked bootloader (HBOOT 2.15), recovery installed, running Viper ROM 3.1.

However because she only has the 1.15 RADIO on the device it tends to reboot quite a lot and she can't have a phone that reboots that often to use on a daily basis.

I want to S-OFF the device so I can upgrade the RADIO.

I've heard of Moonshine method and rumrunner method, however both of these only work with fastboot drivers installed and working.

This is not the case for her S4. I have a desktop (win 8.1, with USB 2 and USB 3.0) and a laptop (win 8.0 with only USB 3).
And none of them can find the device when it is connected while in fastboot. Therefore I can't S-OFF the device that way..

Could anyone point me in the right direction or have some suggestions on what to do?

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
This is not the case for her S4. I have a desktop (win 8.1, with USB 2 and USB 3.0) and a laptop (win 8.0 with only USB 3).
And none of them can find the device when it is connected while in fastboot. Therefore I can't S-OFF the device that way..

Could anyone point me in the right direction or have some suggestions on what to do?

Did you try a Ubuntu Live CD? That's what I had to do to get things working reliably.
How did you install fastboot and adb?

Hammerbak

Aug 24, 2010
Gentofte
Did you try a Ubuntu Live CD? That's what I had to do to get things working reliably.
How did you install fastboot and adb?

No I haven't tried with an Ubuntu Live CD, and tbh I'm not that well known in the Linux systems.

Well I installed the Google Drivers from the "Android SDK Manager" and I tried a lot of different methods I found on posts alike.

The problem is that neither of my two computers can find the device when it's connected and in fastboot.

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
No I haven't tried with an Ubuntu Live CD, and tbh I'm not that well known in the Linux systems.

Well I installed the Google Drivers from the "Android SDK Manager" and I tried a lot of different methods I found on posts alike.

The problem is that neither of my two computers can find the device when it's connected and in fastboot.

How about using some friends computer /laptop?

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
The biggest problem is that without adb and fastboot working, you probably won't get anywhere.
The reason I mentioned the Ubuntu live CD is that I have working fastboot and adb and still had problems with windows 7.
I finally created the Ubuntu live CD (actually USB) and it worked. It doesn't take too long to create the live CD/USB and it's worth a try.

Reactions: Hammerbak

Hammerbak

Aug 24, 2010
Gentofte
Is it a unbranded phone hboot 2.15 eu ??

For me Facepalm was the only wotking one.

Well tbh I don't know if it is unbranded - Since I don't know what that term means.

We live in Denmark and I think she got the phone from germany - bought on a sale somewhere.

Whenever it was booting up (before I rooted and unlocked the bootloader) it came with a splash screen saying "T-Mobile".

Does that mean it is branded to T-Mobile?

The biggest problem is that without adb and fastboot working, you probably won't get anywhere.
The reason I mentioned the Ubuntu live CD is that I have working fastboot and adb and still had problems with windows 7.
I finally created the Ubuntu live CD (actually USB) and it worked. It doesn't take too long to create the live CD/USB and it's worth a try.

The LiveCD/LiveUSB sounds like an idea and will be my first attempt after "trying" Win 7.

Does the moonshine S-OFF method only support Stock ROM/Firmwares?

I guess I am to try the rumrunner method once on the LiveCD/LiveUSB.

Thanks in advance and again I will return when I know more

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Well tbh I don't know if it is unbranded - Since I don't know what that term means.

We live in Denmark and I think she got the phone from germany - bought on a sale somewhere.

Whenever it was booting up (before I rooted and unlocked the bootloader) it came with a splash screen saying "T-Mobile".

The LiveCD/LiveUSB sounds like an idea and will be my first attempt after "trying" Win 7.

moonshine only supports "supported" firmware versions listed on the moonshine.io homepage (page 3)..

Reactions: Hammerbak

Hammerbak

Aug 24, 2010
Gentofte

I am sitting on a LiveUSB right now, but I find that the instructions on the rumrunner webpage doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

It goes through the first steps and I will get to answer ''Yes'' twice.

After a please wait message I get: "ERROR: run rumrunner again and READ (no adb connection to device. Debugging on? Drivers?)

I followed the instructions to perfection. Will I need to install drivers on Linux?

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
I am sitting on a LiveUSB right now, but I find that the instructions on the rumrunner webpage doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

It goes through the first steps and I will get to answer ''Yes'' twice.

After a please wait message I get: "ERROR: run rumrunner again and READ (no adb connection to device. Debugging on? Drivers?)

I followed the instructions to perfection. Will I need to install drivers on Linux?

Do you have USB Debugging on? When you are booted into the phone and connected to the computer. Type adb devices and see if it returns a valid value (not offline).

No, you don't have to install drivers on Linux. Also I never was able to get anything but moonshine.io working.

Hammerbak

Aug 24, 2010
Gentofte
Do you have USB Debugging on? When you are booted into the phone and connected to the computer. Type adb devices and see if it returns a valid value (not offline).

No, you don't have to install drivers on Linux. Also I never was able to get anything but moonshine.io working.

Well USB debugging is enabled on the device, however it doesn't show the USB debugging icon on the phone that it does when connected to a Windows PC.

I will try to check is ADB is active later tonight.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

moonshine only supports "supported" firmware versions listed on the moonshine.io homepage (page 3)..
    So I will be using rumrunner then..

Thanks however.

wish you best luck :)