[Q] XT1030 Rooted, 4.4 update keeps rebooting

Search This thread

Psychlone

Apr 30, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 6a
Hi guys.

So I purchased 2 of the Droid Minis for my kids. They are both on 12.15.15 (camera update) 4.2.2 and started bugging them to take the update to 4.4

Before letting them take the update, I wanted to root them both so I could install tracking software on them, so I followed the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2509590
(for RockMyMoto)

PwnMyMoto never did anything but error, so I figured it was because of the camera update.

I successfully rooted BOTH XT1030 phones following the RockMyMoto OP, verified by installing SuperSU and double verified by installing TiBU from my license. Both phones are truly rooted as both asked me to grant or deny root access, and I've even checked via RootManager and it does indeed allow access.

So after following the link above and successfully rooting both phones, I started the 4.4 update on the first one and waited for it, but it just rebooted over and over, which made me stop in my tracks on the second phone.
Right now, the phone that was supposed to be taking the 4.4 update will boot all the way to a usable homescreen, but it reboots after about 20 seconds of having hit the homescreen. It's been doing this for about an hour now.

I've gotten enough time to get into Settings > About and check, and it's still on 4.2.2 (12.15.15), and even allows to check for updates before rebooting again (if I'm quick, I can even push the button to check for updates, but the device only lasts for 20 seconds before it automatically reboots.

I've tried booting into Recovery, but it just reboots into normal mode, lasts 20 seconds and reboots again.

I'm stuck, and would appreciate some help here. I'm not new to flashing, having been a crackflasher since the OG D1. Although, I have to say that these Droid Mini's are significantly harder to work with than my Note3, S4 and any of my previous phones...

help PLEASE?!

Obviously, my daughter has a bunch of games on her phone after having it since Christmas, and I'd definitely prefer not to lose her data. I had the foresight to make a TiBU backup before moving forward with the 4.4 update, but in it's current state of rebooting, it won't stay on long enough for me to copy the TiBU folder to my computer.

If I knew how to fastboot, perhaps I could fastboot the files for 4.2.2 back to the phone without losing her data - at least so I could transfer the TiBU folder over in case the phone has to be RSD'd back to stock...
If this is an option, please help me out with the exact commands that I might need. Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: I read how to fastboot (hadn't done it for a couple years) and found the correct files for the xt1030 here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=2
I downloaded and unzipped the 12.15.15 file.
I then used fastboot to push boot.img, motoimg.img, recovery.img successfully (although there is NO recovery no matter how I try to boot into it)
BUT, when I fastboot flash system.img, it comes up with several errors and fails, so I'm sure that the problem actually exists in the system image on the phone.

*** I DID NOT erase anything, only dirty flashed. I did this because I need to back up the user data before anything happens to it.
If I do erase system on the phone, will I lose her data? What about the other images that are still on the phone??

**EDIT: I found that I needed to use mfastboot instead of the standard fastboot to flash the system.img because it's apparently too big - mfastboot breaks it into smaller chunks and pushes them correctly, however, the phone still reboots.
This isn't considered a bootloop, it will boot all the way into the homescreen, stay active and live for around 20 seconds and then reboot.

I'm already going to be in trouble when she finds out she can't use her phone in the morning... PLEASE help a brother out!

Hope that info helps someone to help me better!

Last edited:

Psychlone

Apr 30, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 6a
Unfortunately the Droid Mini and Max has yet to get their own device forums. So, I have moved the post to this forum in hopes some folks can help as the Ultra may share some characteristics as it's a relatively new device getting the 4.4 update as well.

MD

Thanks MD.

I just now figured it out on my own.
I hope that this thread will serve to help anyone that may stumble across a similar problem on their XT1030 device - perhaps even other Moto devices.

WHAT I FOUND:
While fastbooting and mfastbooting files to the phone, I realized that it wasn't working because I was missing something somewhere, so I opened the XML file in the original 12.15.15 zip and went through it line by line.
The one thing that I had neglected to do while in fastboot was to ERASE CACHE.

Once I had erased cache via fastboot (and obviously after pushing all the proper img files), it all worked correctly after reboot - the phone no longer reboots on it's own and immediately started the download of the OTA 4.4.

I hope that this post helps anyone else that happens across this problem.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks MD.

I just now figured it out on my own.
I hope that this thread will serve to help anyone that may stumble across a similar problem on their XT1030 device - perhaps even other Moto devices.

WHAT I FOUND:
While fastbooting and mfastbooting files to the phone, I realized that it wasn't working because I was missing something somewhere, so I opened the XML file in the original 12.15.15 zip and went through it line by line.
The one thing that I had neglected to do while in fastboot was to ERASE CACHE.

Once I had erased cache via fastboot (and obviously after pushing all the proper img files), it all worked correctly after reboot - the phone no longer reboots on it's own and immediately started the download of the OTA 4.4.

I hope that this post helps anyone else that happens across this problem.

Glad you solved it. Yeah, cleaning cache is always a good thing.. Sure your daughters will be happy now!

Hatary

Nov 19, 2012
Last edited:

droidusr2014

Dec 24, 2013
Never take a ota update while rooted

Same thing happened to me but i learned the hard way that you should never take a OTA update while rooted because it screws things up and the phone is not stable enough to run Android OS without crashing and rebooting again. So what i did is i used RSD lite to reset to stock and after making sure root was gone i took the OTA update and now my DROID ultra is working fine :). and FYI if you still want root when running KitKat use slapmymoto to keep root it requires you to have 4.2.2 already installed and then follow some steps so you can keep root in KitKat hope it helps!

mschwartz33

Feb 20, 2014
What version of RSD Lite for XT1030?

Same thing happened to me but i learned the hard way that you should never take a OTA update while rooted because it screws things up and the phone is not stable enough to run Android OS without crashing and rebooting again. So what i did is i used RSD lite to reset to stock and after making sure root was gone i took the OTA update and now my DROID ultra is working fine :). and FYI if you still want root when running KitKat use slapmymoto to keep root it requires you to have 4.2.2 already installed and then follow some steps so you can keep root in KitKat hope it helps!

What version of RSD Lite did you use? I've tried 5.6, 6.4, 6.5, with different USB cables including the one that comes with the phone but I cannot get RSD Lite to recognize my device. I tried fastboot as well but it keeps giving me an error about missing XML files when I try to flash.

zsebob

Feb 6, 2010
MINI root

I have a Droid Mini too and followed this guide. Now i have a rooted Droid Mini with Kitkat.
If he is already on Kitkat, then you are right of course!He forgot to disable write-protection (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2551113) and flashing back to the camera update (12.5.5) and using SlapMyMoto (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2538896) before the Kitkat update.

Hi, I have MINI with factory 4.4
How can I root it and have custom recovery ( TWRP )

I cannot find guide for XT1030...

THANKS

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Hi, I have MINI with factory 4.4
How can I root it and have custom recovery ( TWRP )

I cannot find guide for XT1030...

THANKS

you can't root 4.4. You are stuck until (hopefully) someone releases a root exploit for 4.4

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

What version of RSD Lite did you use? I've tried 5.6, 6.4, 6.5, with different USB cables including the one that comes with the phone but I cannot get RSD Lite to recognize my device. I tried fastboot as well but it keeps giving me an error about missing XML files when I try to flash.

can you post a screen shot/picture of the error you are getting and also the cmd window where you are entering the fastboot commands?

zsebob

Feb 6, 2010
you can't root 4.4. You are stuck until (hopefully) someone releases a root exploit for 4.4

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

can you post a screen shot/picture of the error you are getting and also the cmd window where you are entering the fastboot commands?

Thanks! The downgrade to JB and root and update to 4.4 not working on Mini?