ICS Updates (Not) Fixing Random Reboot and Other Problems

Did the new ISC update fix the random reboot problem for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

ssl123

Feb 18, 2012
That wouldn't rule out the possibility that something that you are doing under your usage is incompatible with ICS itself, not just incompatible with this ASUS version of ICS. You'd need a control group with other versions of ICS, including non-ASUS versions, and determine that whatever you are using and doing does not crash on all other versions of ICS as well.

My guess is that we are looking at multiple problem sources here. The sleep code could be a major source of the problem. I say that because most people who install the guevor kernel, which makes fixes to the sleep code, say their problems go away. But then there are those who say they are still getting sleep of death with the guevor kernel. That could easily be explained if there was a second problem source, perhaps a common background running service on those who still get sleep of death, a common app they run. Random reboots and sleep of death are not the same things and might not have the same causes. There could also be multiple causes for the same outcomes. Meanwhile, everyone is looking for a single cure-all. To me, that the people who are still having problems after installing guevor's are citing sleep of death but not random reboots points to progress and not the lack thereof.

maddoxtj

Aug 30, 2010
Ive been on .21 since last week and still have seen no reboots. Videos with YouTube still working, but I still get screen flickering every now and then. It just happens for a second or two but I find it annoying none the less. Does not happen for any particular reason or time. I think there is still room for improvement overall. My galaxy nexus is alot faster than tf101 and I thought they should be similar. Before this update came out I was running honeycomb cause ics was just unacceptable.

Megabunny

Apr 6, 2011
Trowbridge
I did a full reset

I did a full reset on my TF101 and it was fine from that point on, I'm gonna say it was probably a bad app I was downloading.

maddoxtj

Aug 30, 2010
Well it happened just like everyone is saying if the RR hasn't happended just give it time. Mine just did. Found it froze on Asus screen. Went almost a whole week. Now I am really upset with Asus and all these updates and it still is not right. Probably just go back honeycomb.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been checking for firmware updates daily since Asus posted the news that they were going to release another update fixing the random reboot problem we've been experiencing.

True to their promise, I just got an update from Asus on my transformer. Downloading it right now. Will let you guys know the firmware number once it's done updating. Hopefully this update fixes the random reboot for good.

Update:

I have a US B90 Transformer.

Android version remains at 4.0.3.
    The updated kernel version is 2.6.39.4.
    Battery Usage is fully functional now after the update, showing individual app usage.

So far so good I would say.

Update 2:

Seems like the update did not fix the random reboot problem for everyone. I started a poll here to get an idea of how well the update worked in terms of fixing RR.
    Please give it some time after installing the update before participating in the poll.

Update 3:

9 hours after installing the update, I just saw the dreaded Asus loading screen... Well... quite disappointed to report that the update did not fix the random reboot issue for me.

Update 4: (4/25/12)

24 hours after installing the 2nd update, saw one random reboot, but no hang on boot screen. I say it's an improvement. I don't mind living with a device that reboots on its own once in a while during sleep, as long as it doesn't hang and drain all the battery.

Update 5: (4/26/12)

Just saw the dreaded boot hang... I guess I'm back to Wake Lock again...
    So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they haven't fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it does work for you, it must work for other people?

He's nothing but a troll, infecting every thread about this subject and discrediting people.

Mr. Horndroid, go look at the output of the tool that ASUS provided to some people on the stickied thread. Do you see that the device crashes when it tries to resume from pm_suspend (if you even know what this means)? There is a bug in the firmware and it IS affecting some devices. A factory reset does not help in this case. If your tablet is working fine, just get the hell outta here and don't look back.

Man, i can't believe how arrogant people can get...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
    So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it doesn't work for you, it must not work for other people?

So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they haven't fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it does work for you, it must work for other people?
    I'm probably the guy you are referring to. I didn't say that the Uptime setting wasn't accurate in ICS, but that it had been not fully accurate in prior Android OS, and that I long since had stopped using it as a reference, after I found the free Reboot Logger app, which provides a listing of time stamped references of actual boot times, and can discriminate between reboots and system shutdowns.

I personally find that approach much easier than digging out the uptime reading in Settings, and calculating approximately when that reboot occurred.

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself as clear as I could have. I was trying to suggest a useful alternative method, not generate any controversy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Just let me know where do i find it and its yours in a few minutes!
    Rooted US Transformer with ICS :)

Download the update but do not reboot the tablet.
    Install this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

And then open it and type the following command:
    Code:
    cp /cache/dlpkgfile.zip /sdcard/
    followed by enter. If the app can't find the file, write /cache/dlpk followed by the "TAB" button and the terminal should find it for you.

Then delete it (else when you reboot the tablet, the update will be installed):
    Code:
    rm /cache/dlpg*

Then just upload the file you copied to /sdcard/, which is the internal memory of your device.