[GUIDE] RemoteApps Desktop Apps

Search This thread

UBNAS81

Jul 11, 2012
If the surface is on your home wifi, it should be able to rdp (remote desktop) to the XP system no problem.
Only need the router mapping / translation if using the Surface outside the house on another Internet connection

I am trying it on my home network first, but ideally would like to access remote desktop, and remote apps from my surface while I travel . Remoe access through Windows is the entire reason that I got the thing, and its giving me issues, and I consider myself to be proficient with computers. I am using a linksys router, which seems to b the reason is not working. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

landwomble

Jun 2, 2006
Need
1) your PC's internal IP (e.g. 192.168.0.x)
2) your router's internal IP
3) your router's external IP.
4) a user account that's an administrator with a password enabled. Eg. If you log on as Bob,just set a password. USE A COMPLEX ONE.

Get 1 and 2.by typing "ipconfig /all" in a CMD prompt. Your IP is stated and your router is labelled "gateway".
For 3, logon to your router by pointing.a.browser at http://your.gateway.ip.address. you may need to find the logon details for your router. Public IP will be.stated,probably under WAN. It won't be in the 192.168 range.

Put your PC on static IP. Set IP to what it was in 1, gateway to 2, subnet to 255.255.355.0 and DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google public DNS, you.can.use your ISP's but these are fast and easy to explain).
Check internet connection still working.

Assuming all is ok, you should be able to RDP on to that pc from another in your house - use static IP you set above and the user/password you set.

Assuming this works you're ready to set up remote RDP. Point your browser at your gateway address of the router and log in.
Somewhere there will be an option for port forwarding/firewall rules/services.

Basically you need to tell your router that when an external RDP request comes in from the internet, to forward it to your PC.
You need to fill it in so port 3389 coming in over the internet forwards to 3389 on the static IP you set for 1).

If correctly set up, a connection from outside your home to your poster's external IP (3) will connect to your PC. Set up a new remote desktopconnection using 3) as server name and using user/pass set up earlier. Use a STRONG PASSWORD as it WILL get probed.

I would suggest saving the connection to a desktop shortcut when set up for convenience. One for internal connection within your home using (1) and another for external using (3).

Ric

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: UBNAS81

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver
Put your PC on static IP. Set IP to what it was in 1, gateway to 2, subnet to 255.255.355.0 and DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google public DNS, you.can.use your ISP's but these are fast and easy to explain).

The IP specified in 1 would be a DHCP-assigned IP that the router will give out to something else once your lease expires, change it to something outside of the DHCP range, or set it so your router always assigns that IP to your PCs MAC address. Also, you typo'd '355' as the third octet in the subnet mask.

Reactions: UBNAS81

UBNAS81

Jul 11, 2012
So - good news - I got remote desktop to work - the desktop version on the surface. However, the "Metro" version will not connect when i type the exact same ip address, it tells me "Can't connect to the remote PC There seems to be a problem with the remote PC. Contact technical support or ask your network administrator for help" ..........not sure why - maybe because im connecting to XP, touch enabling, etc (anyone know why?).

Now, for some reason, every time i try to enter static IP address, it disconnects my internet connection, and the only way for me to get it back is to restart my modem, and router. I think I am entering the numbers wrong - which numbers go where on linksys setup?

Is DynDNS an alternative solution for setting up static ip on router. If so, I'd rather not have to use third party. My goal, is to be able to remote into my computer from wherever, whenever i want. Can anyone who knows what they are doing help me with this. Surface connects fine on home network, but will not out of network.
Thanks!!

UBNAS81

Jul 11, 2012
OK, so I am sure that im entering something wrong in my static ip settings. I go to linksys setup in browser, select static ip, and enter the numbers verbatim from my ipconfig /all. When i click confirm changes, the internet connection gets lost, and i need to reboot my computer, and router, and re-configure router to automatically detect ip. My port forwarding is correct because i can connect on the home wifi network, but the static ip is not working. I also tried to do this in the Network Connections TCP/IP settings in control panel, essentially the same thing happens - i set IP manually, and DNS manually, and then i immediately lose the internet connection.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

zoro25

Sep 20, 2006
I also tried this without much luck, however in my case it seems that I am running Win8 Enterprise which is connected to a Domain and it can't create a homegroup

and then the SurfaceRT also can't create a homegroup, therefore both machines are unable to communicate.

Has anyone with the same setup as me (win8 on a domain and surface RT also on network but non-domain account) be able to get this to work.

I'm sure homegroups would work around this.

UBNAS81

Jul 11, 2012
OK - I think I am doing something wrong here - My home network will allow me to connect to desktop version of remote desktop - i simply type in the ip address in the remote desktop window, with username, and it works.

What do i type in the metro version to make it work - if i put the ip address, it fails to connect.

Also - to connect outside of my home network, i opened the port forwarding, and I know the connection is there - I look up my public ip address, type that into the remote desktop window, with username, and it fails to connect. Not sure what im doing wrong here - and advice would be appreciated. Do i need to enter something other than the public ip?

THANK YOU!!

*EDIT........NEVERMIND - I figured it out - I did not open the port on my cable modem, I only opened on my router. REMOTE APPS KICK ASS!!!

Running Autocad, Photoshop, Sketchup, Rhino.......all with minimal lag. and to think, i debated returning this thing - not any more!!!!

Last edited:

UBNAS81

Jul 11, 2012
I have it working with XP Pro sp3, runs photoshop, AutoCAD...save uTorrent files direct to your tablet, but the program is run on your server with next to no lag what so ever. Seems you can stream music from your server without lag, but don't try to do video, that def doesn't work, however you can upload direct to your local Surface drive.....And I didn't realize that when I set up remote desktop, the Surface automatically shows full access to the network server through explorer....so basically, as long as you have internet connection, your running a full portable desktop computer, should you need it to do that. Im surprised MS isn't advertising this more, this is why people should buy this device......that and the new modern ui is really great. Its lacking in the app department, but as I see it, it makes no difference, because im lugging a extremely mobile, portable version of my home / office computer. Modern UI is pretty great too, I set up separate users for myself and my wife, each account login syncs to each of our accounts, can be completely personalized, different apps. Once Gameloft, and EA games come out, this will be a tough device to beat, I really don't understand the negative reviews, this thing gets 5 stars from me.

Its pretty bad ass, probably the device ive been waiting for. And to top it off, I use the thing with typecover on my lap all the time, which is what people keep saying that it doesn't work.

Reactions: dan-htc-touch

landwomble

Jun 2, 2006
Glad you got it working. Does the Modern RDP client still fail? It shouldn't... If it does, error logs would be handy and I could feed them to some internal MS discussion groups for comment.

May 17, 2006
is there any way to get the remoteapps to show up in the metroui rdp program? like they are supposed to on a full blown server remoteapps install?
curently using the hack on my whs 2011 vm & it works great, however i dont have a url to add them to the metroui app..

Cheers,

Andrew

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
I can't speak for the Surface, but reg Win8 Metro RDP works great right from the app store, so you must be doing something wrong if it won't work. My friend got a Lenovo with Win8 on it and I can connect to my Win7 machine across town with no issues what so ever, and then even cascade sessions to other machines on my network (email or web servers etc).

Even works great on WP7 (same app).

ddarvish

Dec 20, 2009
is there any way to get the remoteapps to show up in the metroui rdp program? like they are supposed to on a full blown server remoteapps install?
curently using the hack on my whs 2011 vm & it works great, however i dont have a url to add them to the metroui app..

Cheers,

Andrew

why do you use a hack? is it because you dont have any RDS CALs? if so then i can show you a work around for that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok! I keep hoping I'll see some neat way to get my desktop apps on my Surface on here! However, I found a pretty cool solution myself!

First I set up remote desktop with my windows 7 PC and my surface. That was cool. It felt clunky and slow. However, I looked up how to do RemoteApps. I thought it looked complicated but worth it. While stumbling around I found a utility that basically sets it up for you!

1. First setup remote desktop access and free the port for remote desktop. I will not describe it here.

2. I used this utility! Kim Knight's remoteapp tool. Google it. XDA won't let me post a link cause I've never posted before. I just wanted to share my findings.

3. I now can use Utorrent, Photoshop and even my silly Pidgin! Eventually I'm going to use Maya! It works great with hardly any lag! The only lag I get is when I'm saving to my tablet vs the remote computer. I haven't been able to get a browser to work yet but I have invested that much time into it. I'm sure other people will figure it out. Whats cool is Utorrent will save to my tablet. Yah download speeds are slower but expected!
    I had issues getting it working on Windows 7 pro at work, so i swapped up to Enterprise and it worked great. I haven't tested it at home yet off my system. I haven't used this but for my home fileserver, but you can take it a step further and patch RDP to work for multiple concurrent connections.

http://www.redmondpie.com/remote-de...-easy-way-with-this-native-windows-rdp-patch/

With concurrent connections, can you remote app and use desktop still with same login?

Edit: Tried it myself and it works. So now I can remote app in while I'm still logged in my desktop and it won't boot me off, allowing me to use them simultaneously with the same login.
    remote desktop help

Hey all, if anyone can help me get remote desktop working on my surface it would be greatly appreciated. If a developer out there could set up an app to get this done easier, could be a moneymaker, I know id pay for it.

After scouring youtube, and the web, I found a lot of different walkthroughs on how to set up a home pc as a remote server. Unfortunately, I really don't know what im doing and cant figure out why it isn't working. Im running WinXP Pro SP3 on a few year old laptop (I bought the thing during the Vista debacle, and down graded to xp for software reasons - I am an architect and needed my AutoCAD and various graphic intensive programs)

These are the steps that I have tried, all to no avail

- I go to control panel, System, Remote, turn on Remote Desktop.
    - open Linksys router configuration, and try to set up Port Forwarding
    - this is where it really gets confusing for me, and I don't think that I am doing it correct. I know I need to open the port, I go to Applications and Gaming, and enter RDP, Im not sure of the port number, and what else to do here
    - cmd, ipconfig - I enter all information - ip address, DNS, Gateway, etc?

I then found out that in order to really get this working, I needed a static IP address - Im not sure how to do this, but I found a couple posts, and a youtube video suggesting using DynDNS to get this working as a host. I signed up, and am still not able to connect.

Any help would be appreciated - Im not great with this stuff.....I never really played with networking, before....Please help me get my Surface working. Its possible im not entering the address correctly in the Surface Remote Desktop App.
    Thank You!!
    Need
    1) your PC's internal IP (e.g. 192.168.0.x)
    2) your router's internal IP
    3) your router's external IP.
    4) a user account that's an administrator with a password enabled. Eg. If you log on as Bob,just set a password. USE A COMPLEX ONE.

Get 1 and 2.by typing "ipconfig /all" in a CMD prompt. Your IP is stated and your router is labelled "gateway".
    For 3, logon to your router by pointing.a.browser at http://your.gateway.ip.address. you may need to find the logon details for your router. Public IP will be.stated,probably under WAN. It won't be in the 192.168 range.

Check internet connection still working.

Assuming all is ok, you should be able to RDP on to that pc from another in your house - use static IP you set above and the user/password you set.

Assuming this works you're ready to set up remote RDP. Point your browser at your gateway address of the router and log in.
    Somewhere there will be an option for port forwarding/firewall rules/services.

Basically you need to tell your router that when an external RDP request comes in from the internet, to forward it to your PC.
    You need to fill it in so port 3389 coming in over the internet forwards to 3389 on the static IP you set for 1).

If correctly set up, a connection from outside your home to your poster's external IP (3) will connect to your PC. Set up a new remote desktopconnection using 3) as server name and using user/pass set up earlier. Use a STRONG PASSWORD as it WILL get probed.

I would suggest saving the connection to a desktop shortcut when set up for convenience. One for internal connection within your home using (1) and another for external using (3).

Ric