[ADB Setup] Motorola Backflip

Search This thread

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008
1. DOWNLOAD USB DRIVERS

2. INSTALL THE SDK
-Download latest SDK http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
-Extract Archive to C:\SDK\ (or C:\Android, or whatever you want)​

3. Enable debugging on your phone (thanks naplesbill)
-Goto Settings > Applications > Development > and Check the USB debugging option​

4. Optional, but recommended
-Setup Enviroment Variables:
On Windows, right-click on My Computer, and select Properties. Under the Advanced tab, hit the Environment Variables button, and in the dialog that comes up, double-click on Path (under System Variables). Add the full path to the tools/ directory to the path AFTER A SEMICOLON (;C:\SDK\tools\) .​
-Setup Droid Explorer:
Goto Droid Explorer Downloads and snatch the latest version, then install. (mine showed an error during install i believe due to the lack of HTC drivers. If you installed motorola's drivers it should still be in your start menu and work fine)​

If for some reason you can't figure it out, install the drivers then try this installation guide: ADB For Dummies Guide

ADB APK Install instructions
1. Create a folder called adb on your C drive

2. Extract all files to your adb folder

3. Copy the cmd.exe file (copy the file don't make a shortcut to it or move it) from your "C:\Windows\System32" folder to the adb folder

4. Install the downloaded USB driver

4. Once you have the driver installed, on your phone enable debugging mode (Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Development --> Check USB Debugging)

5. Copy the apk files you want installed to your "C:\adb\tools" folder. The adb.exe and cmd.exe should be in that tools folder.

5. Open the cmd.exe file

6.Type the following command:
Code:

Code:
adb install [B]application.apk[/B]

Where application.apk is the name of the apk to install

Your app should now be installed :D

Please note that you cannot install apps used on 1.6, 2.x builds

BACKFLIP SYSTEM DUMP http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=642684
BACKFLIP SOURCE CODE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=645369

Last edited:

Charrion

Oct 29, 2008
Prince George, BC
Don't you still need root?

I fail to see how this can help without rooting the Backflop unless Droid Explorer has some way of overriding that setting.

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008
I fail to see how this can help without rooting the Backflop unless Droid Explorer has some way of overriding that setting.

It doesn't help deleting the protected apps, but it makes it easier to install apks. This is especially helpful since the backflip doesn't allow anything to be installed through phones interface except through the market.

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
Ok, it works, but only if you turn on the Applications, Development, USB Debugging in the settings menus.

Unimaginative

Jul 29, 2008
Sydney
Well, that's kind of a given as ADB won't work without USB Debugging on.

We meet again Charrion! This is like the third time today I've run into you.

Don't need to have root to install APKs via ADB. Even us poor Milestone owners can do it via 'ADB install <app.apk>.'

Last edited:

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
I am just pointing that out for those that aren't familiar with that. I imagine there will be users who wouldn't normally bother with this, doing it just to be able to install non-market apk files.

Charrion

Oct 29, 2008
Prince George, BC
Well, that's kind of a given as ADB won't work without USB Debugging on.

We meet again Charrion! This is like the third time today I've run into you.

Don't need to have root to install APKs via ADB. Even us poor Milestone owners can do it via 'ADB install <app.apk>.'

I'm on a crusade :)

OK, so you can install apks through adb even without unknown sources being enabled.

Has anyone determined if the option to enter debug mode is still available on the backflop? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they disabled that option also.

I'm also curious whether the backflop has a signed mbm like the Milestone to prevent loading custom roms.

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008

OK, so you can install apks through adb even without unknown sources being enabled.

Has anyone determined if the option to enter debug mode is still available on the backflop? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they disabled that option also.

I'm also curious whether the backflop has a signed mbm like the Milestone to prevent loading custom roms.

The use debug mode is indeed available, I just forgot to mention turning it on.

From what I understand, this phone will be rooted like the cliq.... unfortunately for that to happen certain key files need to be leaked.

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008
So; I'm new to the whole Android stuff; but what files need to be "leaked" in order to do this?

According to Skrilax_CZ a modmymoto moderator:
If we are up to root it; we need the shx/sbf flashfile, which must be leaked. Then I can see if the CLIQ RAMDLD exploit is present in here or whether has it been fixed as on the new CLIQ firmwares.

It was those files being leaked that allowed the CLIQ to be rooted...

Mar 8, 2010
Springfield, MO
Has anyone given this a try under Linux? I read the ADB beginners guide, but it didn't mention anything about drivers or whatnot. I'd really like to get this phone, but if I can't develop for it on my platform of choice, I don't think I need it that badly.

j101399j

Aug 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
Has anyone given this a try under Linux? I read the ADB beginners guide, but it didn't mention anything about drivers or whatnot. I'd really like to get this phone, but if I can't develop for it on my platform of choice, I don't think I need it that badly.

This is from androidforums.com about this spicifically
http://androidforums.com/motorola-b...on-market-apps-via-adb-solved.html#post419647
On MacOS, ADB doesn't need a USB driver for your phone. Just download the SDK, and you can execute ADB from a terminal.

On Linux, all you need to do are to follow the instructions here:
Developing on a Device | Android Developers

Specifically the bit about creating and chmod'ing an /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules file.

Hope AT&T fixes this issue soon, it's ridiculously stupid to attempt to disallow non-market apps given that ADB works.

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
Would it be possible for someone to create a utility to turn this option on, then load it via ADB? Or would this require root access?

linuxluver

Aug 21, 2009
Auckland
3dluver.blogspot.com
BetterCut or AnyCut?

I don't have a Backflip, but it may be possible to find hidden settings / controls by using BetterCut or AnyCut. Both are in the Market.

I'd be interested in knowing. A crippled phone is a tiny electronic soul yearning to breathe free and live free.

jahmez

Mar 9, 2010
I have a backflip, and just installed anycut. Do you know what I would need to fill in as the new shortcut to get to that option? I'm at work now, but will be doing the development method to install apks later under linux (gowalla app, most likely)

This is my first android phone, so I'm pretty excited to get it broken open and crapware free.

MullJ

Mar 9, 2010
I just ordered the Backflip. Yes, I'm a newb at all this andriod, and rooting stuff. But, I'm in the process of learning more. I think it will be easier when I have the phone in hand to play with.

But, do you guys really think that someone will take the time to root the backflip, considering, (what I have read) that it is alittle out dated?

I'm going to attempt the non-market app install, once I get the phone. This forum is great, from what I've seen so far. I'll definatly be staying tuned to this thread.

Thanks guys,
J