[ROOT]Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Search This thread

ZilverZurfarn

Feb 11, 2009
Göteborg
Weird... I had root, installed go launcher HD after moving it to /system/apps, did some more stuff, rebooted, did some more stuff, yada yada, and then today, went to install google play, and had lost root. And Go launcher is gone too...

I am not sure how it happened. It re-rooted fine, was able to get google play and gmail and tabletsms working, but it was a bit of a head scratcher.
Same thing here. Root gone,all Google sevices gone, /system/app looks like it's been restored to mint condition. Well, I guess I'll have to re-root. Prolly some update being pushed out? Isn't there a way to block OTA updates?

heldgop

Oct 8, 2008
does this root method work for the Fire 2?
or is there another method to install the appmarket/launcher tool?

Technogen

Jul 15, 2008
Same thing here. Root gone,all Google services gone, /system/app looks like it's been restored to mint condition. Well, I guess I'll have to re-root. Prolly some update being pushed out? Isn't there a way to block OTA updates?

you went from 8.1.2 to 8.1.3. This update didn't bother to ask me if I wanted to install it either.

yoodge

Nov 19, 2012
Same thing here. Root gone,all Google sevices gone, /system/app looks like it's been restored to mint condition. Well, I guess I'll have to re-root. Prolly some update being pushed out? Isn't there a way to block OTA updates?

Re-root and Droidwall. Whitelist mode and leave out the amazon apps. Just did this myself so hopefully no more OTAs for me.

Reactions: acrididae

tight686

Mar 23, 2010
Minneapolis
I can't figure this out to save my life. :(

I keep getting a "specified item cannot be located" or something along those lines. At best I've managed to get it to hang at "ADB server started".

Any help? Running this on Win 8.

Thanks

Last edited:

tight686

Mar 23, 2010
Minneapolis

Well a few of these things I have done/have but I suppose in the wrong order. I'll just delete everything and start over to improve my luck.

Sorry to try to get you to hold my hand through this but through that Amazon link I need to download:

1. The Kindle Fire USB Driver (I've already downloaded it but I see I'll need to force a reinstall of that driver).

2. Android SDK w/ Kindle Fire add-ons.

Correct? And outside of the script that's all I need?

Thanks.

ZilverZurfarn

Feb 11, 2009
Göteborg
Well a few of these things I have done/have but I suppose in the wrong order. I'll just delete everything and start over to improve my luck.

Sorry to try to get you to hold my hand through this but through that Amazon link I need to download:

1. The Kindle Fire USB Driver (I've already downloaded it but I see I'll need to force a reinstall of that driver).

2. Android SDK w/ Kindle Fire add-ons.

Correct? And outside of the script that's all I need?

Thanks.
The most important thing of them all:
I had to go to:
C:\Users\myusername\.android and edit the adb_usb.ini and add the following line:
0x1949

mrcpu

Dec 26, 2008
One problem that may be related, I was re-rooting it after the latest update, and had used an administrator command prompt, and was seeing similar symptoms.

Re-opened a regular command window, and ran it, and it all completed post-haste.

waspleg

Nov 28, 2012
Doesn't work

Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
http://xdaforums.com/show...6#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.

Settings -> About -> Device
Kindle Fire HD 7, firmware is 7.2.1_user_2040020

Neither this method, nor the qemu method from sparkym3 and others writing scripts using these methods work with this version.

This version hangs and does nothing. The other version cannot remount as read write and so is useless.

EDIT: I did a factory reset between the two as well, just in case.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

I used option 1 of the script, on my kindle fire 8.9 HD. Worked fine on a 32 bit machine, no amount of my monkeying around could get my x64 win7 to see adb.

The other thing I note is that if you use a screen lock/pin, you have to unlock it after it reboots for it to finish, otherwise, it looks like the script is hanging. But it's really just waiting for input.

I tried ES file explorer, could get up to /, and supersu is in apps.

I think all is well.

I spent 3 hours trying to get x64 win 7 ultimate to see mine (HD 7) it never worked. After I factory reset the kindle for a different issue it magically started working on windows (I had been using a linux machine instead which required no dicking around first). I had tried different drivers, running all commands involved with administrative rights, installing both 32 and then later 64 bit versions of the android sdk, etc in an exhaustive trial and error search and was almost convinced I had gotten a lemon when it worked flawlessly under linux (centos 5 actually, one of my work machines).

It was brand new, out of the box, I hadn't done anything to it except enable adb and allow unapproved apps to be installed and set the timezone and associated it with my Prime account. I'm starting to wonder if that last part wasn't what broke it.

Last edited:

DssTrainer

Jun 5, 2008
Chicago
The video steps url was copied as shortened url text instead of the actual url... so it doesn't work because it can't find "...."
Please update it to the real url:
Code:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Reactions: mdblaze

kenbonilla

Sep 20, 2012
Somethings I ran into that may help other people.

If you do all the steps and still can't see the kindle in ADB run a driver update on the kindle, ADB showed up for me after that.

After the kindle rebooted it was not seeing the device as being back up after a 2 minute wait. I unpluged and reconnected the USB cable and this correct it.

So, seriously, after going through all the headache of reinstalling my entire sdk and reinstalling the drivers manually like five times and trying multiple root methods, this is what did it... thanks

f***ing windows

waspleg

Nov 28, 2012
Settings -> About -> Device
Kindle Fire HD 7, firmware is 7.2.1_user_2040020

Neither this method, nor the qemu method from sparkym3 and others writing scripts using these methods work with this version.

This version hangs and does nothing. The other version cannot remount as read write and so is useless.

EDIT: I did a factory reset between the two as well, just in case.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019547&nocache=1

The method this thread mentions and links to an external site for *WORKS*.:highfive:

Last edited:

jodykw1982

Dec 1, 2012
Kindle 7.2.1_user_2040020 qemu root

I just got my a kindle fire, it's running 7.2.1_user_2040020.

I got adb installed and working, and I ran the qemuroot 1.0 bat file.

It runs correctly and gets to step 5 and it says the device is rooted but I'm unable to turn on the root settings for ES file explorer.

I also installed a root checker apk and it says the device isn't rooted.

I re-ran qemuroot 1.0 again but still no go. I ran it a 3rd time for the hell of it but still apps say the device isn't rooted but qemu says it is...

I've rebooted multiple times but doesn't look like it's rooted even though qemu says it is.

Any ideas?

waspleg

Nov 28, 2012
I just got my a kindle fire, it's running 7.2.1_user_2040020.

I got adb installed and working, and I ran the qemuroot 1.0 bat file.

It runs correctly and gets to step 5 and it says the device is rooted but I'm unable to turn on the root settings for ES file explorer.

I also installed a root checker apk and it says the device isn't rooted.

I re-ran qemuroot 1.0 again but still no go. I ran it a 3rd time for the hell of it but still apps say the device isn't rooted but qemu says it is...

I've rebooted multiple times but doesn't look like it's rooted even though qemu says it is.

Any ideas?

Factory reset it. Follow the directions in the thread I posted above your post. I have the same model as you and I tried half a dozen other methods and this one is the only one that works. Be prepared to have to unplug/replug in the device a LOT during the procedure and I also recommend you shut off or don't configure wireless it made a big difference for me. You also need solid usb ports, anything even slightly flaky will screw you. I'd have linked you the directions directly but it's an external site that the thread I mention links to and I have less than 10 posts so they won't let me.

jodykw1982

Dec 1, 2012
still no go

Factory reset it. Follow the directions in the thread I posted above your post. I have the same model as you and I tried half a dozen other methods and this one is the only one that works. Be prepared to have to unplug/replug in the device a LOT during the procedure and I also recommend you shut off or don't configure wireless it made a big difference for me. You also need solid usb ports, anything even slightly flaky will screw you. I'd have linked you the directions directly but it's an external site that the thread I mention links to and I have less than 10 posts so they won't let me.

I tried the 3rd link in that thread with using adb and installing superuser.apk, it all installs but still device isn't rooted. this is annoying me!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.
    Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
    I just spoke with Bin4ry, and he agreed that rewriting his script to work specifically for the KFHDs would be a good idea (get rid of errors, make it work the first time, etc). I'm working on it now and I'll post a new version as soon as it works the way it should. I've already identified the problems with the Unix script and it will be a breeze to fix but it may take me a minute to port it to Windows because I am still very new to the Windows batch scripting. If anyone has experience with batch scripting and would like to help or share some knowledge, that would be pretty awesome (if not, I'll figure it out...shouldn't be that hard).

I have an HD 8.9 so if anyone has had any success rooting the 7" tablets using Bin4ry's method, let me know and I will post accordingly. I think it would be nice to have one root method to work for all 2nd generation devices.
    I have the kindle fire hd 8.9 and I rooted it already and Super SU is already on kindle but I have no idea how to run the google play store etc. I'm super new at this and would absolutely love the help! thank you!!!!
    There's a thread for that:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410
    Thanks in advance! =)

Good day: Since you want to load 2nd boot and then get rid of the Kindle OS, you are all set and do not need to locate the 8.48 freedom boot image. Any freedom boot image will work so the 8.4.6 freedom boot image will work just fine.

First, you need to get root and then the rest is cake with the fireflash11.apk and some files from the Hashcode postings.

My post (Posts: 298) above this post a little ways describes using root with Binary to get root.
    Even though you are having trouble, I am pretty sure, this should work on 8.4.8.
    A week ago, I purposefully upgraded one of my 7" to 7.4.8 and then rooted it using the LINUX version of root with Binary.

I took an 8.9 Kindle Fire and upgraded it to 8.4.8
    I used LINUX to root the tablet and then unrooted the tablet.
    I then connected the tablet to Windows and used root with Binary V31 and rooted the tablet.
    The tablet rooted just fine.

When using Root with binary, you do have to remember to:
    1: Click "do not back up" on the tablet screen when you first kick off the binary root script.
    2: Then you select "continue" on the PC command prompt
    3: Then you click "Restore my tablet" on the tablet screen
    4: Then click 'Continue" a second time on the PC command prompt.
    5: Once the "Do not" and "restore" acknowledgements are made on the tablet, the Binary tool will finish its work and finally give you the "Enjoy" note.
    Even if you missed a step or two, the script will finish and give you the "Enjoy" response so if you do not have root after finishing, it means you missed a step.

I am guessing perhaps you did not notice the two tablet on screen acknowledgements needed to complete the root process?

Let us know how you are doing?
    If all else fails, I can push a pre-rooted system image on Dropbox and you can download it and flash it to your tablet and have root.

Regards