N900t for Straight Talk

Search This thread

RioPalmares

Jun 12, 2014
I would like to buy Note 3 n900t unlocked version so as to use it with Straight Talk carrier (using AT&T towers) on LTE data speed.
Will it work?
Or perhaps I should buy n900a version? Unlocked? Or not unlocked is ok?

The main issue for me is to get LTE data speeds.
Thanks!

ac3theone

Jan 26, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I would like to buy Note 3 n900t unlocked version so as to use it with Straight Talk carrier (using AT&T towers) on LTE data speed.
Will it work?
Or perhaps I should buy n900a version? Unlocked? Or not unlocked is ok?

The main issue for me is to get LTE data speeds.
Thanks!

It should work, I actually just did the same thing, and Im going to unlock it myself, my tmo note 3 should be coming by Saturday.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
Well yeah, but if n900t is already unlocked so it must work with Straight Talk ATT sim by no means?

It will work on Straight Talk AT&T. Just make sure you get the Micro SIM card so it fits. All you'll have to do is input the correct APN info after you sign up for the service. I had to switch to Straight Talk after I got scammed on Swappa. The service in NYC is not so great. I actually decided that it wasn't worth it to pay $50 for what I was getting, so now I'm just using my Note 3 like a tablet. :(

I hope it their service is better for you/in your area.

RioPalmares

Jun 12, 2014
It will work on Straight Talk AT&T. Just make sure you get the Micro SIM card so it fits. All you'll have to do is input the correct APN info after you sign up for the service. I had to switch to Straight Talk after I got scammed on Swappa. The service in NYC is not so great. I actually decided that it wasn't worth it to pay $50 for what I was getting, so now I'm just using my Note 3 like a tablet. :(

I hope it their service is better for you/in your area.

Well actually I'm thinking about buying n900a unlocked. I'm having StraightTalk ATT sim card, and ATT has best LTE coverage in SFBA, a lot better than T-Mobile.

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
Well actually I'm thinking about buying n900a unlocked. I'm having StraightTalk ATT sim card, and ATT has best LTE coverage in SFBA, a lot better than T-Mobile.

Well, either (N900A/N900T) would work on Straight Talk. You will probably have an easier time finding an unlocked T-Mobile version though. And whatever you do, make sure you protect yourself. Plenty of people have been scammed when trying to buy unlocked Note 3s.

RioPalmares

Jun 12, 2014
Well, either (N900A/N900T) would work on Straight Talk. You will probably have an easier time finding an unlocked T-Mobile version though. And whatever you do, make sure you protect yourself. Plenty of people have been scammed when trying to buy unlocked Note 3s.

n900t unlocked is more rare and more expensive than n900a.
What do you mean scammed? They were promised to get unlocked version but it turned out to be locked?

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
n900t unlocked is more rare and more expensive than n900a.
What do you mean scammed? They were promised to get unlocked version but it turned out to be locked?

Really, I would have thought the way AT&T locks down their devices there would be less of them floating around.

I got scammed on Swappa. So did other people apparently (via Swappa and Craigslist). Basically I bought my T-Mobile Note 3 on Swappa from a person with a perfect rating who assured me that the phone was not on EIP/stolen. Turns out is was and he wasn't paying, so T-Mobile blocked it. Swappa and Paypal were useless in resolving the issue. You can read the thread here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2605960

Boy did I learn a valuable lesson. My last 6 phones were bought either on Ebay, Craigslist or Swappa. No more. My next phone is coming direct from T-Mobile or the manufacturer. It's not worth $100 in savings to deal with getting scammed.

RioPalmares

Jun 12, 2014
Really, I would have thought the way AT&T locks down their devices there would be less of them floating around.

I got scammed on Swappa. So did other people apparently (via Swappa and Craigslist). Basically I bought my T-Mobile Note 3 on Swappa from a person with a perfect rating who assured me that the phone was not on EIP/stolen. Turns out is was and he wasn't paying, so T-Mobile blocked it. Swappa and Paypal were useless in resolving the issue. You can read the thread here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2605960

Boy did I learn a valuable lesson. My last 6 phones were bought either on Ebay, Craigslist or Swappa. No more. My next phone is coming direct from T-Mobile or the manufacturer. It's not worth $100 in savings to deal with getting scammed.

Oh yeah, but it is how it is on eBay at the moment.
Well the scam you described sounds seriously.... I'm going to buy my phone on ebay and buyer accepts 14 days hassle-free returns.... will it be enough to verify it's not stolen etc.?

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
Oh yeah, but it is how it is on eBay at the moment.
Well the scam you described sounds seriously.... I'm going to buy my phone on ebay and buyer accepts 14 days hassle-free returns.... will it be enough to verify it's not stolen etc.?

Even if the seller on Ebay has good reviews, I would still be very cautious. The way these scams work. it can take weeks or months for the device to show up as being non-payment in the carrier's system (or the person can just wait to report it lost or stolen). I bought my Note 3 from Swappa in November and it wasn't blocked until late January. If you do some searching, you might find some threads that help you stay safe, and tell you how to reduce the risk of getting scammed when using Ebay, but for me the risk is too high now. Once you get burned, it just sucks balls and you never want it to happen again. :(

RioPalmares

Jun 12, 2014
Even if the seller on Ebay has good reviews, I would still be very cautious. The way these scams work. it can take weeks or months for the device to show up as being non-payment in the carrier's system (or the person can just wait to report it lost or stolen). I bought my Note 3 from Swappa in November and it wasn't blocked until late January. If you do some searching, you might find some threads that help you stay safe, and tell you how to reduce the risk of getting scammed when using Ebay, but for me the risk is too high now. Once you get burned, it just sucks balls and you never want it to happen again. :(

Have you ever thought to sell your Note 3 to another country where blocked IMEI means nothing?

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
Have you ever thought to sell your Note 3 to another country where blocked IMEI means nothing?

Yeah, I thought about it, and still might. But I will lose money if I sell now, so that's why I want to wait a bit until at least I can get my next phone. By the time i'm ready to sell it, the price won't be different than if it weren't blocked anyway. By September, when Samsung releases the next Note, all Note 3s will be selling for 350-400.

RioPalmares

Jun 12, 2014
Yeah, I thought about it, and still might. But I will lose money if I sell now, so that's why I want to wait a bit until at least I can get my next phone. By the time i'm ready to sell it, the price won't be different than if it weren't blocked anyway. By September, when Samsung releases the next Note, all Note 3s will be selling for 350-400.

Well yeah, probably you're right.
I just bought mine n900a for 475$.
But Note 4 would cost no less than 800-900$ I guess, especially in the beginning.

Last edited:

andrewnelson23

May 25, 2012
Shawnee, OK
Got my N900T for $350 last week from a guy off Craigslist, only has some scuffs on the sides that you can't see with my case. I had to pay to carrier unlock mine since it was on 4.4.2 tw. Slapped carbon on it and it was running fine on hspa+. I've been on Straight talk for about a year now. Ordered an LTE Sim the other day and got free next day shipping. Literally took me five minutes to get LTE up and running. And it is beautiful.
1402951091990.jpg

And cheap. :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
Most of the time the scammers will wait for the dispute period to end with paypal, which is 45 days, and then leave you high and dry.

1. Buy direct from t-mobile if you can.
2. If you are buying from a local person/craigslist, meet at a T-mobile store and ask an agent to check that it is free and clear with no outstanding payments due. Most of the time if the person is not trustworthy they will not meet you at T-mobile.

If the phone is blocked no amount of begging or pleading will get T-mobile to unblock it. It has been tried over and over and they will not allow you to pay any unpaid balance. The only one who can do it is the scammer who is long gone at that point.

Last edited: