[Q] Sony giving me new Xperia Z for my Xperia ZL

Search This thread

vistax86

Jan 22, 2011
Hey there, I've been using Xperia ZL for around 6 months now and it suddenly started losing network, randomly it will reboot. And one fine day it didn't turn on..I just get SONY logo for 3 seconds then restart.

I gave my phone under warranty in Sony Service Center..its been a week and they called me yesterday tell me that your phone has some internal motherboard problem, but current we don't have stock of that..so we can provide you with a new Xperia Z if thats fine with you.:mad:
I said its fine but will it be a brand new piece? They said that it will be brand new but you wont get it like fully packed with box and all.
Also they asked me which color I want..
will get the phone in 1-2 days..

is this some kind of trick? providing me a higher model of phone for free?

please suggest.

Hey there, I've been using Xperia ZL for around 6 months now and it suddenly started losing network, randomly it will reboot. And one fine day it didn't turn on..I just get SONY logo for 3 seconds then restart.

I gave my phone under warranty in Sony Service Center..its been a week and they called me yesterday tell me that your phone has some internal motherboard problem, but current we don't have stock of that..so we can provide you with a new Xperia Z if thats fine with you.:mad:
I said its fine but will it be a brand new piece? They said that it will be brand new but you wont get it like fully packed with box and all.

please suggest.

if it's new, why wouldn't they give the phone packed in box:eek:

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011

please suggest.
What? Xperia Z is not higher model.
Both were same price over here (roughly) and have the same specs.

Unless you want the waterproof feature, ZL is the better phone in my opinion.
Way smaller bezels, way shorter, infrared, +50mah battery, camera button (!)

Sirence

Jun 17, 2012

please suggest.

The Xperia ZL is almost 100€ more expensive than the Xperia Z in new condition nowadays, so they aren't really giving you a 'higher model', they are kind of tricking you out of your money!

I can only speak for german prices but here are the amazon links:

http://www.amazon.de/Sony-Smartphon...UTF8&qid=1403897688&sr=8-3&keywords=xperia+zl

http://www.amazon.de/Sony-Smartphon...=UTF8&qid=1403897712&sr=8-1&keywords=xperia+z

vistax86

Jan 22, 2011
No its certainly not, the links you sent have Xperia ZL with 4G/LTE and Xperia Z is without that. So obviously Xperia Z will be cheaper in that case.
I saw prices in my country and Xperia Z is priced more.

vistax86

Jan 22, 2011
Xperia Z

Finally got my hands on new Xperia Z, bdw its totally brand new with those transparent thin stickers, they gave me its box too but with all accessories removed, got two screen protectors one for back and one for screen.

Its so premium than ZL
And i compared the screen with another ZL, it is so much different, blacks are really black, zl has little grayish black both phones at full brightness, and i noticed camera is much better with a higher contrast.
doesnt have IR blaster but thats fine..:)
All hail Sony..love u.

Moving to Xperia Z sections now..

Last edited:

GECF6

Mar 28, 2014
Finally got my hands on new Xperia Z, bdw its totally brand new with those transparent thin stickers, they gave me its box too but with all accessories removed, got two screen protectors one for back and one for screen.

Its so premium than ZL
And i compared the screen with another ZL, it is so much different, blacks are really black, zl has little grayish black both phones at full brightness, and i noticed camera is much better with a higher contrast.
doesnt have IR blaster but thats fine..:)
All hail Sony..love u.

Moving to Xperia Z sections now..

WOW! The very same thing happened with me. The only difference being my ZL was an year old, almost out of warranty(i.e had a couple of weeks to go when I dropped it at the service center). The phone just wouldn't power on. They "replaced" my ZL with a Z saying that they've got no stock(ZL) and won't be able to repair it.

However, the Z what I got was a refurbished one and had it's rubber finish peeled off in many places and the camera lens was scratched as well. They just didn't agree to replace my ZL with a new Z(was in excellent condition except for the power button which had faded off). The Z didn't even come with a screen protector. My ZL had a screen protector and the only real scratches were over the screen protector.

They apparently tried fooling me by offering this as an "UPGRADE". But back then, the reason I purchased the ZL due to it's smaller frame size..
Bloody cheats. Eventually I managed to sell it and got a good deal for another handset..

gokukaushik

Jun 30, 2014
chennai

please suggest.

The best choice is to see the xperia z that they are ready to offer.Check for any external damages.All replacement that you get now from a service center will usually be a used mobile/spare mobile.Since xperia z is costlier and have water proof feature as an incentive you can go for it.Be warned xperia Z does not have IR blaster and camera button as in xperia zl.

bimjunk

Sep 11, 2008

please suggest.
It is quite normal I had a faulty z1 and they sent me a z2 as replacement.... If the stock is low due to low production, they give the one available to meet sla...it probably cost them almost the same... Probably higher to manufacture older models if the parts are not in stock