[Jan. 9 Update, sticky?] aGPS fix after running Leaked VZW Customizations

Search This thread

johnnyok

Dec 6, 2006
Wow....don't know what happened but deleted the valhalla with the uninstall cab....reinstalled it and this morning I got 6 satellite hits on google maps in 3-5 seconds....thanks for your quick response. :)

lentm

Dec 3, 2008
i installed verizon mr1, and installed bell rom, and custom rom.
agps didn't work, even tho i used qpst method.
I reinstalled verizon mr1 rom, used valhalla legends gps server.cab, agps works as a charm.
i installed a custom rom again, used qpst method, valhalla but no luck.

so what is wrong with my phone? im getting tired to set everythings up on my original verizon mr1 rom...

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
That's exactly what this thread is about. By installing the Verizon ROM fully (with customizations), you have semi-permanently affected the GPS capabilities. The way to fix it is outlined here.

If you don't understand the tutorial, be sure to do some reading and searches for exlanations at PPCGeeks or PPCHaven. I might be able to help too.

lentm

Dec 3, 2008
That's exactly what this thread is about. By installing the Verizon ROM fully (with customizations), you have semi-permanently affected the GPS capabilities. The way to fix it is outlined here.

If you don't understand the tutorial, be sure to do some reading and searches for exlanations at PPCGeeks or PPCHaven. I might be able to help too.

i finished this up yesterday, thank you, and thanks again for this thread!!

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
You're welcome! Of course I can't take credit for any of the work. It was only a few weeks ago when I didn't know what the hell I was doing...

T

Ta'varen

aGPS only works for Live, not Google Maps or TomTom

I went to update this on a replacement Vogue phone from Verizon, and performed the exact steps in the wiki http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?title=Pocket_PC_WIki:FIX_VERIZON_GPS but substituted the leaked ROM for the official ROM from Verizon from here http://www.pcdphones.com/phone_downloads.aspx?bid=95&cid=1&mid=302&carrier=Verizon%20Wireless, resetting when I saw the “Customizations will start in 3 seconds” message. The reset was only required once, after the reset it did not ask to run them again. I then manually copied the sdautorun.exe to windows directory and manually ran it, so that my UC installs and prov xml would set the phone up. I did not use a custom ROM. I also did perform the aGPS fix from step 6 of the wiki, which worked on my Titan. I tried to make a call, but could not, so I did the *228 programming, still could not make a call, so I then called Verizon for a new AKey. I then checked out settings again from QPST and the aGPS settings seem fine. I even manually added a reg key on the Vogue, that my working Titan has but the Vogue did not have after the process: HKLM\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\EnablePDEIPFromNV: 0 DWORD.

However I find that the intermediate driver setting on Live does not work, only COM4 works with aGPS. This also does not seem to kick off a data connection to get aGPS data (as I think it does on the Titan) but will use one if already connected. If I use Live to kick off a connection, I can get TomTom to also see aGPS data, however without priming the port with Live, neither Google Maps nor TomTom works, Google gives an error message about COM4. VisualGPSce connected to COM4 works, if outside and getting some actual satellite data, but GPS Test does not seem to work. I even tried some configurations using GPSGate, but to no avail, using either WM or COM settings on input. It only worked if I kicked it off using Live.

I’d like to get this so that Google is set to Managed by windows and Live can use the intermediate driver, like on my Titan; as well as getting TomTom 7 to work off of either the built in GPS or COM4 port (I don't mind using using AstroGPSLauncher http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=364199 but this did not help when I tried it, even though it did on my Titan with the early radios). Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
The VZW 'leaked' ROM is identical to the 'official' ROM, fyi.

I am using GMaps, Live, and TomTom 7 (primed with GPS Viewer) on my Vogue, and they work flawlessly (wuth the intermediate driver). I strongly reccomend using a custom ROM in general, I admit your workaround is too technical for me but doesn't seem to offer an advantage over a Vogue custom ROM like NFSFANs (which has footprints now!!!!). Most have GPS pre-enabled in the registry, you on;y need to use QPST and then you're up an running.

I guess that wan't much of a help, but I hope you figure it out in the end.

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
AFAIK, you can just use the official Sprint ROM, it's the offical Verizon one that messes up your phone. I'm sure a little bit of searching would find the answer quick, the SPrint Vogue has been around longer than the VZW one.

NFSFAN

May 25, 2008
Toronto
I went to update this on a replacement Vogue phone from Verizon, and performed the exact steps in the wiki http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?title=Pocket_PC_WIki:FIX_VERIZON_GPS but substituted the leaked ROM for the official ROM from Verizon from here http://www.pcdphones.com/phone_downloads.aspx?bid=95&cid=1&mid=302&carrier=Verizon%20Wireless, resetting when I saw the “Customizations will start in 3 seconds” message. The reset was only required once, after the reset it did not ask to run them again. I then manually copied the sdautorun.exe to windows directory and manually ran it, so that my UC installs and prov xml would set the phone up. I did not use a custom ROM. I also did perform the aGPS fix from step 6 of the wiki, which worked on my Titan. I tried to make a call, but could not, so I did the *228 programming, still could not make a call, so I then called Verizon for a new AKey. I then checked out settings again from QPST and the aGPS settings seem fine. I even manually added a reg key on the Vogue, that my working Titan has but the Vogue did not have after the process: HKLM\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS\EnablePDEIPFromNV: 0 DWORD.

However I find that the intermediate driver setting on Live does not work, only COM4 works with aGPS. This also does not seem to kick off a data connection to get aGPS data (as I think it does on the Titan) but will use one if already connected. If I use Live to kick off a connection, I can get TomTom to also see aGPS data, however without priming the port with Live, neither Google Maps nor TomTom works, Google gives an error message about COM4. VisualGPSce connected to COM4 works, if outside and getting some actual satellite data, but GPS Test does not seem to work. I even tried some configurations using GPSGate, but to no avail, using either WM or COM settings on input. It only worked if I kicked it off using Live.

I’d like to get this so that Google is set to Managed by windows and Live can use the intermediate driver, like on my Titan; as well as getting TomTom 7 to work off of either the built in GPS or COM4 port (I don't mind using using AstroGPSLauncher http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=364199 but this did not help when I tried it, even though it did on my Titan with the early radios). Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,

This isn't true. Google Maps doesn't require any priming. Neither does TomTom. From what I read and saw, starting from TomTom 6 latest update and continuing to TomTom 7, GPS doesn't require any priming.

derekwilkinson

Dec 14, 2007
AFAIK, you can just use the official Sprint ROM, it's the offical Verizon one that messes up your phone. I'm sure a little bit of searching would find the answer quick, the SPrint Vogue has been around longer than the VZW one.
It says "Unable to connect to AGPS server. Please select another connection."
The only connection option I have, however, is Sprint. Is there anything I can do?

T

Ta'varen

This isn't true. Google Maps doesn't require any priming. Neither does TomTom. From what I read and saw, starting from TomTom 6 latest update and continuing to TomTom 7, GPS doesn't require any priming.

I agree that normally it does not, which is why I am perplexed at the trouble I am having. However, it is what I am experiencing currently. Any ideas on why I might be having this issue, how I might fix it, or how I might do things differently if I try to reflash again? Any help is appreciated!

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
Feb 3 Update: This thread was intended as a discussion of a specific (now solved) problem several users were having concerning how to undo the customizations caused by the Leaked Official VZW 3.37.77 ROM. if your question doesn't concern this, you'll probably get more visibility creating a new thread, titled with your specific question. I don't mind posting here, but I don't feel that your questions are being answered by the most qualified members in a timely fashion. Thanks!:D

siff

Jan 10, 2009
Mouth of the Rat
Comm port question

:confused:I did the upgrade to the newest NSFAN's ROM 1.12 VZW, Radio 3.37.78, on an XV6900. When I did the QPST editor I did not have the option to create a com: 3, and com: 4 I was able to make a com: 3 only. So I finished all the instructions for com:3 and it does work now. Am I missing something by not being on com:4 or is it cool the way it is?

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
Siff, I had the same issue, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're getting GPS locks in under 30 seconds, it's cool the way it is.