[Q] Unable to mount system to RW

Search This thread
May 21, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

No matter what I do, I can't remount "/system" and "/" to RW. :crying:

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

I am running on KK 4.4.2 version 14.3.A.0.757.

My Current File System Status

root@C6833:/ # mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ext4 ro,seclabel,relatime,discard,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,discard,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/cache /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/apps_log /mnt/idd ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,discard,nobarrier,data=ordered 0 0
tmpfs /storage/remote tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,size=1024k,nr_inodes=256,mode=750,gid=1028 0 0
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/LTALabel /lta-label ext4 ro,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nobarrier,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/fuse /mnt/shell/emulated fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other,allow_utime_grp 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/sdcard1 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other,allow_utime_grp 0 0
tmpfs /storage/emulated tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:65 /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/emulated/0 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other,allow_utime_grp 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/emulated/0/Android/obb fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other,allow_utime_grp 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/emulated/legacy fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other,allow_utime_grp 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/emulated/legacy/Android/obb fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other,allow_utime_grp 0 0
root@C6833:/ #

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
You obviously do not have the permission to do that, so the question is, are you rooted, and if so root again and be sure to have the latest SuperSU installed with updated binaries.

Sent from my Z Ultra

May 21, 2011
Singapore
What kernel are you on?

How did you get root?

Bootloader unlocked?

My kernel version is 3.40-perf jackie099@ubuntu #1 and bootloader is unlocked.

I gained root by downgrading my firmware to .532 version and install rooting using a program called Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33. After rooting is successful, install dualrecovery and upgrade my firmware to .757 version by flashing a specific zip file via recovery followed by flash FTF with Flashtool.

Am I doing it correctly? Is there a better way to do it? :confused:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
My kernel version is 3.40-perf jackie099@ubuntu #1 and bootloader is unlocked.

I gained root by downgrading my firmware to .532 version and install rooting using a program called Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33. After rooting is successful, install dualrecovery and upgrade my firmware to .757 version by flashing a specific zip file via recovery followed by flash FTF with Flashtool.

Am I doing it correctly? Is there a better way to do it? :confused:
I would try to reflash supersu and see if that fixes it

MidnightHarvester

Apr 16, 2010
In the VAST
I'm not sure. I'm having the same issue, sort of. I can mount /system to read write easily but can't mount back to read only. Getting "resource busy" message. Running a 4.4.2 LG G2 ROM. Could it have anything to do with how /system is formatted within TWRP recovery? Idk.. Luckily not being able to mount as read only isn't exactly an issue but more of a nuisance.

Edit:: Found a solution minutes after posting.

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system # works fine
mount -o remount,ro /system # resource busy error
mount -o remount ro /system # works fine without comma

With this knowledge I can go through and fix a few scripts that have the comma between remount and ro. Not sure why this is as it's always worked fine ever since my OG DROID.

Last edited:

dorimanx

Feb 20, 2010
TERA Prime.
www.dorimanx.com
I'm not sure. I'm having the same issue, sort of. I can mount /system to read write easily but can't mount back to read only. Getting "resource busy" message. Running a 4.4.2 LG G2 ROM. Could it have anything to do with how /system is formatted within TWRP recovery? Idk.. Luckily not being able to mount as read only isn't exactly an issue but more of a nuisance.

Edit:: Found a solution minutes after posting.

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system # works fine
mount -o remount,ro /system # resource busy error
mount -o remount ro /system # works fine without comma
With this knowledge I can go through and fix a few scripts that have the comma between remount and ro. Not sure why this is as it's always worked fine ever since my OG DROID.

FAIL:

this doing nothing.

mount -o remount ro /system

root@g2:/ # mount | grep /system
mount | grep /system
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system on /system type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered)

dmesg
<6>EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p30): re-mounted. Opts: (null)

kernel ignoring your command. problem is with some service open file for writing in /system and not letting go.
find the service! kill it, mount as RO.