How to S-ON the HTC Desire S, Unroot, remove Revolutionary and Clockwork Mod recovery

Search This thread

Tapur007

Sep 28, 2011
I've converted my FileSystem to EXT4 (using 4EXT Recovery Control) !

Can I still follow this process ? or Do i need to convert the filesystems to EXT3 (if possible) ?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT : Back to Stock ! :D

(Converted system to EXT3 using 4EXT Recovery Control, Restored an old backup of the Stock ROM, installed & Flashed CWM Recovery... Followed the Guide!)

Thanks A Ton, JonjUK :)

Last edited:

DeBlanka

Apr 9, 2012
I don't know where to start!

Hey guys,
My sister bought a Desire s second hand, but it seems to be locked to Vodafone Ireland ie. only accepts Vodafone sims (apart from a week or so when it would accept any sim.) Vodafone claims they have no lock on it and never did. After being in contact with HTC they claim the phone being S-OFF is the cause of the problem, and the only fix would be to send it off to them to get the original software back on it. It's not rooted (apps requiring super user privileges won't work) but whatever the guy before me did he messed it up somehow.

Since she purchased it late last year it has received on OTA update. It's currently running Android 2.3.5 and HTC Sense 3.0. I'm unsure what the sofware was before the update, but I'm told the lock screen has changed?

I'm not entirely sure how much of the OP is relevant to my case, and could really use some help.
Details:
SAGA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.0002
RADIO-3822.10.08.04_M
eMMC-boot

Cheers,
DeBlanka

UmairAhmad

Feb 16, 2012
Lahore
I reverted back to stock ROM once before but now I am stuck there... i am getting error 140 for the same RUU.. Any Help?

*** Security Warning***
SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-0.98.0002
Radia-3805.06.02.03_M
eMMC-boot
Mar 30 2011, 17:29:31

UmairAhmad

Feb 16, 2012
Lahore
Kindly Help

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 304
Dec 1, 2011
I think there are major issues with these instructions for me anyway.

I am on the telstra network and i had the original telstra ruu. I followed the instructions all went well and i removed revolutionary but when i tried to run the ruu it said an error and that the rom version was incorrect.

I did not know what else to do.

Out of desperation i restored a clockwork mod i had before i originally rooted my phone and then i applied the original ruu.. THIS TIME IT WORKED.

Why is this so, obviously it now detected a correct version maybe HBOOT ? im not sure... but i would like an explanation why this would of worked.

Im very curious because if i never had the clockwork backup i would be STUFFED!

Cheers.

InsanelyMe

Mar 20, 2012
Restore and Keep CWM

Quick question. Would restoring the RUU also wipe the cwm recovery that came when i downloaded it from revolutionary? Because i would like to be able to update my phone with the RUU but still keep cwm recovery.

Tapur007

Sep 28, 2011
After u're done using the RUU, your phone will completely revert to Stock, as it was when u bought it (the android version depends on the RUU u use though) without any CWM , Root ,custom ROM , etc ...

xPeterJx

Nov 2, 2011
Sheffield
My issue is that I don't know which RUU to use because I bought my phone from a website and it then turned out to be a Taiwanese import. Any ideas? I thought I'd kept my stock backup somewhere but clearly not. Argh!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA

usmanxhmed

May 9, 2012
Well i was having same issue, i bought my phone from second hand market and it was rooted and i could not get OTA. I was unsure which RUU i need to flash as i didn't even know my Desire S belongs to which region. But you you know your phone is from Taiwan.

Anyways all i did was to match my software version, kernal, baseband and radio version from settings, software information with the same version on website, unbranded UK RUU. same software same versions, and after removing removing revolutionary i flashed with it and i could install the OTA as well.

Here are my related threads to this problem and tutorial as well.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1678345
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1643913

xPeterJx

Nov 2, 2011
Sheffield
Well i was having same issue, i bought my phone from second hand market and it was rooted and i could not get OTA. I was unsure which RUU i need to flash as i didn't even know my Desire S belongs to which region. But you you know your phone is from Taiwan.

Anyways all i did was to match my software version, kernal, baseband and radio version from settings, software information with the same version on website, unbranded UK RUU. same software same versions, and after removing removing revolutionary i flashed with it and i could install the OTA as well.

Here are my related threads to this problem and tutorial as well.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1678345
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1643913

Yeah thank you but the reason I went custom in the first place was because of the language settings. The stock rom my phone came with was Taiwanese so the language was set at 'Taiwanese (English)' which would have been fine but then some things we're showing up in Taiwanese not English. I'm sticking to custom roms now. The one I have is by a guy called Lowveld and the support he provides for his rom is amazing and he wouldn't/doesn't release versions that would effect our phones adversely. Like someone has said I think you ought to reword your posts, sometimes some things are better left unsaid. :)

Thank you for your help though.

PJx

Shamz84

Dec 1, 2011
If i've got the generic UK hand set which RUU do i need, i'm not sure.

never mind, i just went to the lowest number as i got my phone soon as it was available, and so far so good :)

thanks for your tutorial.

Last edited:

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
Need Help

My phone's CID is VODAP001 and its rooted with S-ON with hboot 2.x. I want to unroot it to stock. which RUU should be for my phone?

Cesk87

Dec 29, 2011
Venezia
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've got a big problem here..i used android flasher,i flashed the hboot,but the phone still show me the "revolutionary" sign in pink,exc exc..so i passed through the next step,thinking about a mismatch on the recovery,and i succesfully installed the official RUU..but now,the phone is still stucked on the htc boot logo,and it doesn't go further..i went on the recovery,and it says that i'm still s-off,revolutionary,and anything else..i tried to flash the hboot via adb,and again with android flasher..but nothing happen!any suggestion on how to fix this?:fingers-crossed:

chytu558

Sep 21, 2013
stuck at bus error

i have followed the instructions mentioned in the below link to lock it back

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2314582

but the problem is i am stuck at step 4

cd /data/local/tmp
shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./revone-0.2.1 -P
./revone-0.2.1 -P
revone v0.2.1

Gaining root access (thanks to Dan's motochopper)...Bus error
135|shell@android:/data/local/tmp $

i couldnt understand about this bus error , can anyone help me in locking my device please.. i have only time till OCT 10th to submit my phone for warranty. please please help me

2009joseph

Sep 30, 2012
1.47.401.4 ruu

jonjuk me wonder if the RUU rom contain Hboot 0.98.0000 or 0.98.0002 may also have, when ga installation.

Suppose rom RUU Saga Europe ver. 1.28.401.1 contains Hboot 0.98.0000.
Rom RUU Saga Europe ver. 1.47.401.4 gives Hboot 0.98.0002.

The question I asked, which RUU download.
You can this be tested?

I think this problem is occurring at yajnibor.

I ask for your opinion.

http://shrani.si/f/e/Tz/jQvpGJ3/hboot.jpg (RUU 1.28.401.1 )

http://shrani.si/f/3p/L2/10DkqOmg/hboot1.jpg (RUU 1.47.401.4 )

i got the same problem can you please give me a link to download the t-mobile 1.47.401.4 RUU you guys are talking about :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks, just thought I'd post my newly created video on here for anyone who wants to S-ON their HTC Desire S and revert it to a factory 'fresh' state.

*Please only follow these steps at your own risk etc etc as I cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong!*

I searched for ages for the best way to do it and I think I've managed to portray it here in the video. A noticed an old thread which someone did on here (in the sticky section) has now been 'taken off' so thought I'd create a new one.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments and I hope this helps some of you out!

I've also done some quick instructions which should help out along with the video:

Today I will be showing you how to get your HTC Desire S to be “S-ON”. You only need to follow this video if you want to revert your phone back from a S-OFF state.

Why would I possibly want to do this?

There are several reasons:

1) If you need to send your phone back to HTC for repair it’s probably a good idea to remove any software you’ve put on the phone — they may no like it

2) If you want to revert to how your phone was when you first purchased it this is the best way to do it (some people call it factory defaults)

3) You’re bored and have 18 minutes and 5 seconds to spare.

What you will need:

1 x HTC Desire S (with at least 50% battery)
    1 x USB Sync cable
    1 x half-cup of tea
    1 x de-stressing device

Firstly, you will want to download an RUU file. RUU stands for “ROM Update Utility” and this file contains the original software/firmware for your phone.

Go to here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1002506 and then click the link to FileFactory which will bring up the list of ROM files. Find the one that matches your phone. If you are in the UK like me you’ll see “UK” in the file name. You also need to select the correct file depending on the phone operator/network you are on. I’m on T-Mobile so went for the “TMO” version.

Whilst that downloads, on XDA Developers again, search for “Revert back to stock (remove revolutionary)” http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1387484 and you can download a lovely package from “giby21″ which contains Android Flasher and the HBOOT file you need.

**PLEASE NOTE** The RUU file for your phone is quite possibly different to the one mine uses so you may need to use a different HBOOT version. If you don't have the correct HBOOT version you will get an error messagee from the RUU setup/installer saying "error [140] bootloader version error".

Extract the files and then load Android Flasher. Please note you must have HTC Sync UNINSTALLED, USB Debugging mode enabled (in your phone’s settings) and you also need HTC’s Fastboot drivers installed for your phone to be picked up later. You can get the fastboot drivers from here: http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

Now select your device in Android Flasher and the select the Browse button under where it says “Bootloader”. Browse to where you extracted the “Revert to stock” .rar file and then the folder called “FlashENGHBOOT”. Select the .img file in there (named engHBOOToverARX.img) and press OK.

Now power off your Desire S and power back on whilst holding the Vol Down button. Click to select FASTBOOT and then plug it in via USB. Now back to the Android Flasher program and select “I’m already in fastboot” checkbox and press the “Flash!” button. You should now notice the REVOLUTIONARY title at the top has gone — great — it’s been removed.

Once flashed, reboot your phone and leave it plugged into the USB. Now you can right-click the RUU file you downloaded and “Run as Administrator”. This process will take about 10 minutes but after this you will be back with S-ON and to your original T-Mobile (or other operator) software.

Phew! Time for a drink!