Followed video tut for rooting, now i'm lost. What's a ROM, and where do I start?

Search This thread

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Follow the guide. When you flash a rom, kernel, modem - you overwrite the existing files. You don't need to worry about deleting anything. Follow the guide and you will be good.

Blue recovery is stock recovery. Red recovery is CWM.

Wodensman

Apr 22, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Follow the guide. When you flash a rom, kernel, modem - you overwrite the existing files. You don't need to worry about deleting anything. Follow the guide and you will be good.

Blue recovery is stock recovery. Red recovery is CWM.

THANK YOU!!! I should be able to take it from here. You have addressed everything I've been ignorant of. My personal hero of the day! If I run into anymore questions or problems, I'll drop them in this thread. I'll update this thread when I have everything done, as well. I can't thank you enough. Sorry my head is so thick. I'm just new to all this, and I really wish I would have found this site before the video guide, so I could learn about what I was doing, while doing it. Would have saved us both this headache! When I get good at this, I'll handle people like myself, FOR YOU. Thanks again!

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Good luck. You'll enjoy the custom ROM's. Some stock apps have been removed in most of them (i.e. WiFi Calling). Just know you can add most back... at the expense of RAM of course ;)

Wodensman

Apr 22, 2012
Limited to 8 thanks per day..... LOL, I would give you 100 every day. If you're a dev, I'll gladly support you. Just name something you're involved with that has a donate button, that will be useful to me.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
You're good. Get your phone running smooth. Most issues with most of the custom ROM's have been addressed. For example, voicemail notifications. You will need to add back t-mobile visual voicemail to receive voicemail notifications regardless if you are on att. You will also probably want to remove DSP Manager. Just ask and we can help.

Wodensman

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks! I don't use voicemail. I haven't set it up, EVER, and I've had this number for years and years. So, Should I factory reset before I even flash the kernel? And when I factory reset, I assume all the apps I had downloaded (except my new file manager) are on my sd card? do they just come right back onto the phone? or should I clear stuff off of my sd card?

Wodensman

Apr 22, 2012
Ugh, I'm starting to get discouraged. I can't find the factory reset. I assume I have to go into recovery mode? I do use GOlocker, and lots of other GO stuff. Any other way to 'start fresh' besides a factory reset? I already d/led the flasher and manager, i guess i needed to reset first, lol. Damn

Wodensman

Apr 22, 2012
I'm really good in photoshop. After I get my phone sorted out, I can repay you with a forum sig, if the forum allows them. My PS work is far from shoddy, and I'd like to give back to the community, and especially people like yourself.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
What manager?

Start and follow the guide where it talks about SGS Kernel Flasher and go from there. Follow the guide.

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks! I don't use voicemail. I haven't set it up, EVER, and I've had this number for years and years. So, Should I factory reset before I even flash the kernel? And when I factory reset, I assume all the apps I had downloaded (except my new file manager) are on my sd card? do they just come right back onto the phone? or should I clear stuff off of my sd card?

You don't have to factory reset to flash kernel but it is recommended to do so when flashing rom :)

if you ain't first you're last :)

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
As for starting fresh I assume ur still rooted there's an app in play store called Quickboot download it and you can reboot to recovery from there and do your factory reset :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Look at my guide that i have linked in my sig and read through the second post to find a custom rom that you like (i suggest Valhalla Black) and my guide tells you how to flash it. If you have questions, feel free to ask in the guide thread or pm me

And I believe the 3d cubes are part of SPB Shell launcher

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
    Be sure to keep your ODIN and Heimdall ports seperate. You can get by with CWM for custom ROM's now except to recover or clean your phone up. Read the Gremlin Remover thread to consider using after a custom ROM flash or two. Your other option is KJ6 Heimdall One-Click.
    Did you read the guide in the first link in my signature as suggested above?

It is best to start fresh when flashing a new ROM. A lot of apps have back up features within the app for settings and such (i.e. GoLauncher).

I recommend Valhalla Black. But all the 2.3.6 ROM's are great.

No restrictions. Except maybe watching movies in the market on rooted devices.
    I mean with your apps. Factory reset won't unroot you. It isn't a bad idea to do a factory reset between flashings as a precautionary measure.

You shouldn't have to unlock again either.