CM11 degradation?

Search This thread

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
I really don't want to come across as if I don't appreciate the work that is going into the CM11 / KitKat builds for the Nook HD because I do and continually look forward to flashing the latest nightlies etc.

But does it seem as if each version from either variant available are less and less stable? initial releases seemed fine while each new version has more and more issues that seem to pop up. I just flashed the latest from the General forum here and lost Play store, once I reflashed my GAPPS and got it back I got odd green screen flashing and terrible performance requiring a reboot which black screened. I had to do a soft reset by holding the power button.

I don't know. Again, appreciate the work, saddened by the current crop, I guess.

Last edited:

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
And here I am wondering why I don't have any issues at all. Not one single reboot, no loss of functionality, nothing. I am running the latest nightly.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
Did you try factory restore after your google app install?
If not i try doing the restore in settings and see if it resolves the problems. Seems like it usually works for me.

D

Deleted member 2092952

If you notice the launcher is now trebuchet. They just started replacing launcher 3 with theirs. So things will be broken or missing. Same with others areas.

I always have a very recent backup and so it doesn't matter. 10.2 went though pains too and so on so forth.

If you want more stable 10.2 is right there. Backup cm11 in recovery and restore it later on when its more mature.

50bux

Oct 31, 2013
So...am I the only one who....

Doesn't use Google anymore? Look, I mean I know the paid Koogle-aid dispensers will dog pile on me as a heretic, but CM on my nook is working great for me and in concert with other play stores all is well. I just don't see the need to put anymore money or information in Big GData's pocket.

Just one guys opinion, flame away

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Doesn't use Google anymore? Look, I mean I know the paid Koogle-aid dispensers will dog pile on me as a heretic, but CM on my nook is working great for me and in concert with other play stores all is well. I just don't see the need to put anymore money or information in Big GData's pocket.

This is rich. It used to be big M$ that folks dumped on, now Google?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

50bux

Oct 31, 2013
Rich?

I respectfully disagree. LL you of all people know of the massive holes and security flaws that gapps add to what is mostly a great open source system. I think if people really were to examine just what adding gapps does to your phone as far as adding in avenues for exploitation they wouldn't use it.

Have I said something technically incorrect?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I respectfully disagree. LL you of all people know of the massive holes and security flaws that gapps add to what is mostly a great open source system. I think if people really were to examine just what adding gapps does to your phone as far as adding in avenues for exploitation they wouldn't use it.

Have I said something technically incorrect?
I'm not disagreeing with your point, I just think it is interesting that folks tend to see big companies as evil and jump on them.

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
02-03?
Did you swap kernels? Dirty flash? Etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yes, 02-03. I don't swap any kernels. Clean initial install and then updated from settings menu. And as I said, no issues whatsoever! Working woonderfully, no reboots, no lag, nothing! Just working beautifully!
The only issues I've had with CM11 was in the initial unofficial release there was a screen flicker now and then. That dispappeard a coulpe of releases in. And then last week (?) there was an issue with the screen rotating when putting the device to sleep. That did't have any effect on the device while running, but either way it's fixed now.
And as I said, not one single unwanted reboot! Ever! I have a 16GB HD+ and a 16GB HD running unmodified nightlies. Both of then problem free! I'm (of course) not complaining, just wondering how come some have lots of problems and others don't. Hardware related? Dirty installs? Messed around with stuff best left alone?

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
I have done it in the past just to see if android would still be useable if Google stopped supporting it. It is but it is easier with them. More security would be nice.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

anactoraaron

Aug 29, 2011
St. Cloud, MN
I really don't want to come across as if I don't appreciate the work that is going into the CM11 / KitKat builds for the Nook HD because I do and continually look forward to flashing the latest nightlies etc.

But does it seem as if each version from either variant available are less and less stable? initial releases seemed fine while each new version has more and more issues that seem to pop up. I just flashed the latest from the General forum here and lost Play store, once I reflashed my GAPPS and got it back I got odd green screen flashing and terrible performance requiring a reboot which black screened. I had to do a soft reset by holding the power button.

I don't know. Again, appreciate the work, saddened by the current crop, I guess.

I understand what you mean. Seriously if I knew enough about caf and kernels, etc. I would find a way to build some form of 4.4.2 pure AOSP. Stock just seems so much better with my N5 and I would love to see it in action on my Nook HD+. But I don't know that much and am too busy to start learning complicated things like that (I own a business and root&mod as a limited hobby). I'm just grateful to @verygreen & helpful folks like @leapinlar to have some kind of 4.4 emmc on this mostly abandoned (by B&N) device. I think that CM in general has gone downhill from a stability perspective since CM10 (basing that on a few devices that got 'official' cm).

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
Well, did a full wipe and flashed the latest 02-04 build. So far so good. No horrible performance after an hour requiring a reset and it hasn't gone black on me, but that usually takes a couple days. I should have learned long ago to just do a full wipe and flash when things aren't going right. :eek:

barth2

Jan 30, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Well, did a full wipe and flashed the latest 02-04 build. So far so good. No horrible performance after an hour requiring a reset and it hasn't gone black on me, but that usually takes a couple days. I should have learned long ago to just do a full wipe and flash when things aren't going right. :eek:

Just for my future reference , what is meant by full wipe? I did a wipe data and factory reset before and went through the setup screens again but there was clearly still some stuff left, like data folders from apps previously installed.

Thanks

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
Just for my future reference , what is meant by full wipe? I did a wipe data and factory reset before and went through the setup screens again but there was clearly still some stuff left, like data folders from apps previously installed.

Thanks

To get rid of personal data you have to format data under mounts. Word of warning anything not backed up will be gone.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

Thanks
A wipe data /factory reset with CWM is not really a full wipe. It leaves your media files intact. Even a format of /data in 'mounts and storage' leaves the media files. To do a full wipe you need to format 'data and datamedia'. That truly wipes all data, including media files.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nolfer and wellersl

Nolfer

Nov 23, 2013
A wipe data /factory reset with CWM is not really a full wipe. It leaves your media files intact. Even a format of /data in 'mounts and storage' leaves the media files. To do a full wipe you need to format 'data and datamedia'. That truly wipes all data, including media files.

While we're at it, what's a dirty flash / re flash, and how does one change kernels in a nook device? I thought kernels were always included in a rom zip as boot.img files and you could not flash a different one :eek:

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
While we're at it, what's a dirty flash / re flash, and how does one change kernels in a nook device? I thought kernels were always included in a rom zip as boot.img files and you could not flash a different one :eek:

A dirty flash is just installing a new Rom without wiping anything first. Depends on what you are flashing whether a dirty flash is OK. Usually if you are going from one CM nightly to another say CM 10.2 from yesterday to CM 10.2 from today you can get away without wiping caches. If on the other hand you want to go from CM 10.2 to Cm 11 you really should wipe caches first, same going from say CM to Carbon it is recommended to wipe first.
There are a few kernels out there but they are specific to certain Roms. There were some touch kernels for CM 10.2 but they only work on early releases not the stable. Unless you have a specific need I would't worry about flashing a new kernel.

Reactions: Nolfer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is rich. It used to be big M$ that folks dumped on, now Google?

Thanks

A dirty flash is just installing a new Rom without wiping anything first. Depends on what you are flashing whether a dirty flash is OK. Usually if you are going from one CM nightly to another say CM 10.2 from yesterday to CM 10.2 from today you can get away without wiping caches. If on the other hand you want to go from CM 10.2 to Cm 11 you really should wipe caches first, same going from say CM to Carbon it is recommended to wipe first.
    There are a few kernels out there but they are specific to certain Roms. There were some touch kernels for CM 10.2 but they only work on early releases not the stable. Unless you have a specific need I would't worry about flashing a new kernel.
    I see. Can I install, say, a kitkat rom from a jb one (and viceversa), doing only factory reset (system, data, cache), thus without wiping datamedia?
    More importantly, does wiping datamedia influence anything (configuration wise) that latches to rom or kernel? I mean, is there any information stored in the files that are wiped by "wipe datamedia" that is used by the kernel or the rom?

I'm asking this because I currently have the audio out jack kinda broken since I've tried some kk roms (delivers very bad quality audio, whereas the speaker has good quality) and I don't know what else to do. I've tried to change from kk to jb without datamedia wiping, but this didnt solve the problem, so I'm asking to know if maybe the kernel stored some bad audio quality config file there (in datamedia) and a wipe there could solve the problem.
    No, datamedia has nothing to do with that. But going backwards (eg, CM11 to CM10.2) can be problematic. You may need to wipe /system manually too before you flash back to CM10.2 ROM.

What do you mean by manually?
    Boot to CWM, go to mounts and storage and format /system. Do this before you flash the new ROM.